Oh... uhmm, yeah. I, ahh... you know. I get it now.

optofonik

Reaction score
First and foremost, I'm really happy with the ukuleles I have acquired based on the recommendations here. Having said that...

After watching an episode of Huell Howser, RHS, I took a drive to Claremont, CA. It's a lovely little college town about an hour east of me. It's home to the legendary Rhino Records record shop. It's also home to the Folk Music Center. Calling the Folk Music Center a "cool place" is an understatement; you can check out the link below to get an idea from their website.

The Folk Music Center had a concert KoAloha hanging on the wall. Just hanging. Waiting. Lonely. Ignored. Wanting to be played. By anyone. Even me.

What an amazing sound. Clear, Articulate. Beautiful.

Someday.

FMC:
http://folkmusiccenter.com/

Rhino:
http://www.rhinorecords.cc/

Last edited:
I have been to all the aforementioned places. Bought a lot of albums at Rhino records. Glad you enjoyed yourself at The Folk Music Center. Sounds like you and that Koaloha are forming a special obsession.:D

...a concert KoAloha hanging on the wall. Just hanging. Waiting. Lonely. Ignored. Wanting to be played. By anyone. Even me.

What an amazing sound. Clear, Articulate. Beautiful.

Part of what I do is test drive new cars and write reviews. People often roll their eyes when told the price on some of these cars. "Get in", I tell them. Then we go for a ride. More times than not, they quickly come to understand the difference (even from the passenger seat) between a basic car and a higher end automobile. You are still only going from point A to point B, but ohhhh what difference.

The same can be said of an instrument as seemingly simple as a ukulele. And you needn't be an expert to notice.

I see this all the time. People don't really know what they are missing until they get their hands on a real good uke. And Ko'Aloha makes a real good one.
I'll bet it's almost like you wish you didn't know! Time to start the ukulele fund. :)

Part of what I do is test drive new cars and write reviews. People often roll their eyes when told the price on some of these cars. "Get in", I tell them. Then we go for a ride. More times than not, they quickly come to understand the difference (even from the passenger seat) between a basic car and a higher end automobile. You are still only going from point A to point B, but ohhhh what difference.

Heh, heh. I knew I was getting past my prime the day I was on a business trip, got into the city late and the rental car place was out of full size cars so they gave me a Cadillac Sedan DeVille (back in the day when Cadillac was more than just a rich man's Chevy) - anyway, I knew I was getting old when I realized that I liked that car. LOL

John

I'm totally happy about my ukulele selection but it's good to know what the fuss is about. I'll have an opportunity to play a Kamaka, Kanile'a and Ko'olau in the future, well before I'm ready to move on from what I've got and have to make a decision. I imagine the "K" brands are to ukulele what Collings, Martin, Gibson, and Taylor are to guitars. Pono, Kala, and Makala? Epiphone, Carvin, and Peavey?

Last edited:
Cars sure are a lot more complicated, but I like ukuleles a lot more than cars...I hate shopping for a car....I love shopping ukes, even if I can't buy one...

I see this all the time. People don't really know what they are missing until they get their hands on a real good uke.

That's why I encourage folks who live in an ukulele "desert" to attend an ukulele festival (or two). They'll see multiple vendors and ukuleles of all sizes, prices and quality--something that a lot of us living in rural areas don't get very easily. I tell 'em to to try 'em all--even ones they think a) they can't afford; b) they've heard "nothing" about; c) they may not like the looks of. The more you try, the more you start knowing what you really like. And, if you break it down to a "daily cost," the ukuleles that are more expensive to purchase, aren't really that much more in the long run.

Top Bottom