Smallest change and biggest difference

nighthunte29

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was interested in finding out about the smallest change you have made on the ukulele which had the biggest difference, be it in sound or skill.

Smallest change could be cost-wise or size-wise!

First off I will go for the obvious and say a chromatic tuner, don't have a clue where I would be without it!

Maluhia!
Sam

Strings. (ten characters)

Uke Leash. I cannot overstate what a difference it made for me when I first started.

Getting an instrument that you enjoy playing and LOOKING at :) it doesn't matter how expensive it is, but an instrument that you truly could connect and feel with each and every note you play on it!

Strings

Play many, settle on ones you like, not on ones others tell you to like

left hand finger placement

Ditto. Where you put your finger inside the fret makes a huge difference in your tone. It also helps you play cleaner.

Smallest change cost-wise that will make a big difference in sound or skill:

If you're a beginner-to-intermediate player, don't buy the next instrument yet. Instead, save your money and practice until you are better at playing your current uke than your uke is at being one.

For me, it was finding a great book: May Singhi Breen's New Ukulele Method for Beginners and Advanced Students

Set-up. Poor intonation, high action or buzzing strings takes the fun out of a uke at any price.

discovering Cliff Edwards. Inspirational. Motivated me to learn new styles and chords and has helped me improve as a player and overall lover of the instrument, it's subtleties and amazing complexity.

discovering Cliff Edwards. Inspirational. Motivated me to learn new styles and chords and has helped me improve as a player and overall lover of the instrument, it's subtleties and amazing complexity.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Amen! And what is really impressive to me is Edwards' singing! What a performer!!!

Practice, particularly with tunes just out of your comfort zone. If you do that, then your comfort zone will keep expanding and musically you'll be moving forward, and then, frankly, the rest of the stuff will mean less and less. Your musicianship is by far the most important factor in how you sound. I'd rather play well on a crappy uke than play poorly on a great one.

Youtube!! There are so many tutorials and you can copy songs you like by watching them gazillion times!!

I am enjoying reading this thread!

A lot of them seem to sway towards playability, strings and set-up etc, which inspires me to save for a better ukulele! (Currently an 'Argos' one branded 'Herald', which is more of a toy, I have fitted better strings mind!).

Some of these suggestions are great, although one I have just thought of that we have missed is that while you play, always always always smile! Haha!

Maluhia!
Sam

Top Bottom