Suggestions for small amp for U-Bass

Tootler

Reaction score
I've just got a U-Bass and need an amp for it.

It's a solid mahogany electro-acoustic with a passive piezo pickup.

I'm looking for suggestions for a small amp, say 10-15W and it needs to be physically small as I don't have a lot of space to store it.

I don't need a large amp as I will mostly be using it in an otherwise acoustic folk band, just large enough to give a bit of boost so that it is not lost among fiddle and squeeze box.

I would prefer a battery amp so that I am not reliant on being near a mains power supply, though that's not normally a problem.

I'm in the UK so suggestions from UK based UUers would be particularly welcome.

I've just got a U-Bass and need an amp for it.

It's a solid mahogany electro-acoustic with a passive piezo pickup.

I'm looking for suggestions for a small amp, say 10-15W and it needs to be physically small as I don't have a lot of space to store it.

I don't need a large amp as I will mostly be using it in an otherwise acoustic folk band, just large enough to give a bit of boost so that it is not lost among fiddle and squeeze box.

I would prefer a battery amp so that I am not reliant on being near a mains power supply, though that's not normally a problem.

I'm in the UK so suggestions from UK based UUers would be particularly welcome.

I have a small Hartke combo amp that was inexpensive and serves me well. I think I paid $99 a few years back, they may be more now.

there is a similar 8inch speaker model by Ampeg that I use that works well, I also play through my loudbox mini but am afraid to crank it up since the speaker is more sensitive.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming.

I probably won't need to crank it up - we're basically an acoustic band, though we do use our guitarists PA for playing for dancing. I'd be able to go through that in that case.

There is a UK company called Laney that makes amps for bass. I have their "Richter" 30W 10" RB2 model which can fill a large banquet room with it set on volume level "2". They make a smaller RB1 15W 8" that you might be interested in.

Roland RX bass cube hands down.

I looked at the Laney RB1 - I have a Laney acoustic amp and it's great, and also the Roland Microcube Bass Rx. The Roland had good reviews but costs more than I want to spend just now. The Laney also had good reviews and was a possibility.

In the end, I ordered a Vox Pathfinder Bass 10. Relatively inexpensive, smaller than the Laney and seems like it will suit my needs just now. If it doesn't it will still be useful as a practice amp and I have not laid out too much at this stage.

I have a VOX Pathfinder Bass 10.
It is one of the BEST purchases I have ever made. It is incredibly cheap for the quality, tone and value you get.

In this video, both my guitar and bass are being played through the Vox Pathfinder Bass 10.
A bonus is that it is also great as an acoustic amp for ukuleles.
I use it as my ukulele amp too. Very clear and powerful tone in a small, attractive package.

The thing I really like is that unlike many other bass amps at this price range, it has a "drive" knob, which is separate from the Master volume.
This acts as a gain knob, enabling you to boost electronic instruments which may have weaker output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hbSmeMXfao

(The guitar and bass are being powered by the Vox Bass Pathfinder 10).

However, if battery powered bass amplification is your preference, your best option is the Roland Microcube Bass RX.
They're packed with features, but quite pricey.

Roland RX bass cube hands down.

Or the 50W Yorkville which has a DI and RCA inputs so you can play along with your cd player. I think 10-15 watts is too small to get decent bass. Don't want a cheap amp to limit a not cheap axe.

If you want amazing features there is no other way to go then a Fender B-DEC. It has tons of amazing features. It has many backing tracks to practice to. You can play on the parts of the backing tracks you like (drums only etc). You can also have the bass line play once and then skip a measure so you can practice playing along. It came with a great book that inclues lessons. It has a built in tuner and other cooled features. It also has great sound compared to the stripped down cheaper Rumble that replaced it. They didn't make the Fender B-DEC very long because it was too expensive and didn't sell that well because of the price. I got mine on Craigslist after a long search. If you want THE BEST small bass amp and you are patient I would watch eBay and craigslist and get a Fender B-DEC. If you want a no frills smaller bass amp I would get a Roland RX bass cube. Bass Cube will not fill a room like the B-DEC and lacks the features but has great sound quality. Hope this helps.

don't overlook the carvin MB 10. Loooooots of features, eq, etc, neomydym tweeter, 250 watts....enough to power a big cab if need be, and weights about 12 lbs. Great reviews. $299 though

Although I don't have a bass, we have to Roland cubes. The micro cube is good for small venues and runs off of ac or 6 AA batteries which last around 15 hours. For larger sound the Roland cm-30 is very good, but it's not batter powered.

Vox amp arrived yesterday.

First impressions very positive. Compact and light. Good tone - right for what I want - and sufficient volume for my needs.

don't overlook the carvin MB 10. Loooooots of features, eq, etc, neomydym tweeter, 250 watts....enough to power a big cab if need be, and weights about 12 lbs. Great reviews. $299 though

I live 15 miles from the Carvin factory. Their only battery powered bass amp is also a 4 channel P.A. system, The Carvin S400D. I own one of these with the extra battery and Carvin 810 extension speaker. Ric

I live 15 miles from the Carvin factory. Their only battery powered bass amp is also a 4 channel P.A. system, The Carvin S400D. I own one of these with the extra battery and Carvin 810 extension speaker. Ric

Hmmm, not sure how I missed that, will check it out. Thanks.

could always get an old Acoustic 360/361 combo or an Ampeg SVT if he wants some serious bottom lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom