Warmest sounding strings?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I just bought a Kala solid cedartop/koa tenor from musicguymic. I know it comes with the Aquila strings, but I generally don't care for brighter sounding instruments.

I was just wondering in an opinion poll, which are the warmest sounding strings...the Worth BT brown or the D'addario pro artes?

Aaron, I believe she's referring to the J-71's, not the guitar sets you often talk about.

. . . I generally don't care for brighter sounding instruments.

I was just wondering in an opinion poll, which are the warmest sounding strings...the Worth BT brown or the D'addario pro artes?

Not much response here, huh? Maybe the question is worded incorrectly for a response. If you don't care for a bright sounding instrument, you got the wrong one, with the worst strings for your goal.

As for "warm" sound, you'll need to look past the strings and go to the builder, and the woods.

Outside of that, if you want to compare Worth and Pro Artes, generally, Worth is going to be more "tinny", somewhat akin to Aquila, but with more flavor, and complexity (of course, not as loud, and nowhere near as brash).

Clear and Black Nylon Pro Artes are completely different, not only from Worth, but from each other. Personally, I wouldn't consider either a warm string (nor would I call Worth that). The clears tend to end up being sweeter while the Black Nylons are cleaner, and more crisp.

Of course, this mostly depends on the instrument (and builder), mostly.

Given what you have, I would go with EJ45 Pro Artes with the WRC soundboard - you should be able to drive the soundboard nice with those normal tension strings. If you like something a little tighter, then stick with the EJ46.
Personally, I'd throw the EJ49 (black nylon) or a set of Savarez Alliance (540R), both lower tension strings with the WRC.

Just my opinion - Aaron

I like bright sounding ukes, so I changed a set of Ko'olau golds on one Pono for J71s and on another for Aquilas.

The Aquilas are definitely brighter. Ko'olaus have a warmer, mellower sound. So do the J71s, but they're in between the two, to my ears, and have less volume. Not bad strings, just not the sound I wanted.

Ko'olau Golds are very warm and mellow-sounding. Once I swapped the stock strings on a Kamoa soprano with some Ko'olaus, it went from being a plink-machine to the best-sounding cheap uke I had ever played. Folks who like Aquilas generally don't care for Ko'olaus, but I think you'd be happy with them.

I just bought a Kala solid cedartop/koa tenor from musicguymic. I know it comes with the Aquila strings, but I generally don't care for brighter sounding instruments.

deffinetely the pro artes found here on UU. I find them to be mellow and very warm sounding. I also love that kind of sound, and I have never been happier with a set of these strings.

Top Bottom