What's the quickest you have built a Uke?

Koa Soprano

Reaction score
I made one in five days once, rough wood the strung up. It was mostly experimental, no back bracing on the heavily arched back, no linings, just the top & back glued to the sides, a single top brace with a bridge plate, and a very squared neck profile with rounded edges. Spruce top, Koa B&S and Mahogany neck with Pau Ferro FB & bridge. Sounded very mellow, and was very light.

My last class got five done in three days...that's with them having no previous experience. They started with kits that took me about two hours apiece to make... I figure that I could build up one of the kits to white wood in about six or seven "man hours". Not counting glue drying time, etc. It would actually make more sense to build four at once.

Starting from where?...A log of wood?...A kit? ..a cigar box? :rolleyes:
It's a mis-leading question I think :confused:

I once decided to build a line of production ukes for the local market here under a different name. They were bound, had paua ab rosettes, pore filled and a satin lacquer finish. I averaged 16 hours each. I absolutely hated the work and quit after building a couple of dozen. It now takes me anywhere from 40 to 60 hours or more to complete an uke and I love every minute of it. Well almost.

My last class got five done in three days...that's with them having no previous experience. They started with kits that took me about two hours apiece to make... I figure that I could build up one of the kits to white wood in about six or seven "man hours". Not counting glue drying time, etc. It would actually make more sense to build four at once.

I was in that class. While I know that a the kit-making stuff is important and was done before we students got our hands on the materials, we got to shape the bracing and necks ourselves and design our own pegheads. It was a wonderful experience and I learned a lot, not only about how difficult ukulele building (and how many ways things can go wrong) is but also about how stringed instruments work and what makes them work well. It was a wonderful experience and I have a cool Rick Turner-designed tenor pineapple ukulele.

My apologies for this post being off-topic. I just wanted to rave (in a good way) about Rick's ukulele building class.

Last edited:
My classes that are closely based around Ricks methods get all of them in finish and set up ready to play in 4 days. In fact, up to now I've been using the same building boards that Rick and I built a few years ago.

This time we are doing tenors in Australian Blackwood, so some new building boards will need to be built. The class has sold out already, and there will be 10 tenors built in 4 days the first week of July.

I once completed a cherry soprano in about a week (didn't keep track of hours...wish I had) after I decided to keep the spalted maple soprano that I was making as a graduation gift for a friend. I just fell in love with the little spalted guy and decided to keep it. That left me with very little time until the graduation party, so I worked pretty fast to finish up the cherry one.

Now...if there is an active glue thread on the forum, then it takes me a lot longer. Just can't seem to pull myself away from following those glue threads!

My last uke was the quickest.....about 2 months. Just a hobby for me. I'm not in any hurry.

Well, if you do this for a living and you have employees then time is money, like it or not. Being a commercial cabinet maker taught me a lot about working without navel gazing. Know what the result is to be and get there as fast as you can. If the desired result is a very detailed and exquisitely crafted object, you should still get to the end as fast as is appropriate. Slow for the sake of slow is great if you're an amateur. If you're a pro, it's the fast road to bankruptcy.

Top Bottom