PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have purchased ukes after attending a factory tour?

Dan Uke
02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
I just went on a solo tour at Koaloha and I was so tempted to buy a factory tour second but I ended with only 2 shirts (t-shirt & polo) and a great time so it was still a great trip.

I saw a couple of custom ukes and Herb Ohta Jr's uke was getting ready to be sprayed. (I want) I found out besides the Black and Red Label, they will start with a White Label that will be made by Paul Okami. Wait list is closed for another year or two so don't get your hopes up. Since no one was with me, I asked a lot of technical questions about bracing, type of glue, radius backs, shaping the neck, etc. I played Brian's personal uke and it sounds amazing. The customs seem to be made difft than the production ukes.

They had so many factory seconds so it's a good time to go on the tour!!

Going on the Kamaka Factory Tour next!!

Harold O.
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
I took the (Joe-Boy's Ukes) Kanilea tour a couple of years ago but they hadn't replenished from Christmas yet so there wasn't anything to buy. Then I had a Moore Bettah in my hands on the Big Island, but I wasn't worthy.

erivel
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Me, that is if you consider Peter Hurney's little workshop a little factory...

itsme
02-13-2013, 04:49 PM
I've never attended a factory tour but hope to some day. :)

I know a bit about how instruments are constructed, but it would be interesting to see it up close and personal.

Even a mass produced factory like they have in China must be interesting. There is a lot of hand crafting that goes on in the making of any instrument. Those Chinese workers may not be luthiers, but they do craft instruments.

No such thing as a magic machine where you put all the parts in a box, push a button, wait a while, and then out pops a finished instrument.

pdxuke
02-13-2013, 04:57 PM
i would never get out of a factory tour without a uke in my hand. It's a good thing I don't live in Hawaii.:drool:

Tigeralum2001
02-13-2013, 05:07 PM
They had so many factory seconds so it's a good time to go on the tour!!
What all did they have?

Then I had a Moore Bettah in my hands on the Big Island, but I wasn't worthy.
I dream of the day that happens to me. Worthy or not, if I get the opportunity, it will be coming home with me... trust me when I say I am not worthy, either...

Gillian
02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
On my "Ukuleles in Paradise" trip to Oahu:

I went to the Kanile'a factory, had a private two hour tour with Joe Souza and bought a gorgeous concert that just been strung.

I went to the KoAloha factory, and bought a longneck soprano on their factory seconds wall that was played and pre-approved by Roy Sakuma.

I went to the Kamaka factory and came away with a T-shirt, cuz I had drained my ukulele fund.

coolkayaker1
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Gillian, u sure gots sum saweet ukes in ur sig na cha. Nice!!

Gillian
02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Gillian, u sure gots sum saweet ukes in ur sig na cha. Nice!!

Thanks, Cool.

I should have a bumper sticker that says" I'm spending my child's inheritance on ukuleles".:D

(Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel,too. I promise to make more videos soon.)

Dan Uke
02-13-2013, 07:23 PM
On my "Ukuleles in Paradise" trip to Oahu:

I went to the Kanile'a factory, had a private two hour tour with Joe Souza and bought a gorgeous concert that just been strung.

I went to the KoAloha factory, and bought a longneck soprano on their factory seconds wall that was played and pre-approved by Roy Sakuma.

I went to the Kamaka factory and came away with a T-shirt, cuz I had drained my ukulele fund.

That's how you do it!!

Dan Uke
02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
What all did they have?

One tenor, several concerts, sopranos, pineapples but I didn't see any long necks. There was a concert that spoke to me but I had to pass. If my wife came, I'm sure I would have walked out with one but that's how it works. Do you want me to pick one up for you? LOL

dkcrown
02-14-2013, 01:48 AM
I have never been on a factory tour Daniel, but if I ever do go on one, I can't imagine leaving the place without a uke of some kind.

Craig
02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
I ordered my first Ko'olau after visiting their shop and meeting Noa in 2001.

Jimdrum
02-14-2013, 06:16 PM
2/11/11: Did the Kamaka factory tour personally conducted by Fred on the first day of my first visit ever to Honolulu; was advised that no ukes were available at that time for factory retail sale

2/28/11: Called Kamaka soon after my return home, and placed my purchase order for an HF-3 with Yukari, who reminded me of their "six week" backlog

4/28/11 (8+ weeks later...): My beautiful Kamaka HF-3 tenor (official build date 3/07/11) finally arrived! I'm a happy guy!

gyosh
02-14-2013, 06:33 PM
I took the (Joe-Boy's Ukes) Kanilea tour a couple of years ago but they hadn't replenished from Christmas yet so there wasn't anything to buy. Then I had a Moore Bettah in my hands on the Big Island, but I wasn't worthy.

I don't understand this.

In golf, if someone asked me to play Augusta with them, you could bet that my credit card would be bruised a bit, but it would happen. An available MB would be making the trip home with me!

gyosh
02-14-2013, 06:34 PM
What all did they have?

I dream of the day that happens to me. Worthy or not, if I get the opportunity, it will be coming home with me... trust me when I say I am not worthy, either...

CJ, I would love to go on a factory tour with you just so I could observe the carnage:)

Dan Uke
02-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Just came back from the Kamaka Factory Tour and came back with no uke again. Benny Chong was there so I bought his CD and got it signed. He played 2 songs on his custom Kamaka Spruce / Koa cutaway bari. He is amazing. Bought another CD from Chris Kamaka.

kauaijim
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Koaloha tenor and Pono MC at the factory. Well worth the trip to the factories. The reduced OCD about strum scratches and the usual dings while playing is worth something, too.

ttom58
02-14-2013, 09:41 PM
3 years ago, I attended the Koaloha factory tour. Of course I purchased one, it was a concert uke. It is a factory second, and has a very small flaw on the back. It's nice, I usually play it.;

Dan Uke
02-15-2013, 09:02 AM
This is one of the highlights of the factory tour...Benny Chong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDugM9aaSlo&feature=youtu.be

hawaii 50
02-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Just came back from the Kamaka Factory Tour and came back with no uke again. Benny Chong was there so I bought his CD and got it signed. He played 2 songs on his custom Kamaka Spruce / Koa cutaway bari. He is amazing. Bought another CD from Chris Kamaka.

Hey Daniel..another spruce top Uke..maybe i get a Ko'olau with a spruce top soon>haha
i went down to The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) yesterday and hung out with Mike for a little while..

I saw Benny at the Ukulele Picnic Sunday..he was hanging out at the Builders tent with Kimo Hussey..

Have you checked out the 2 new Devines at Pua Pua yet?

Dan Uke
02-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Bruddah Len

I was there for a very short time as well and bought a jazz book so I can learn some new songs. You should talk to Andrew and get a sweet spruce. You need some bright ukes as the redwood is mellow too. Next to the LFDM, this is my favorite spruce top sounding uke I've heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D3RT6oJpLM

I probably won't go to Pua Pua as we don't hang out in Waikiki much.

Hey Daniel..another spruce top Uke..maybe i get a Ko'olau with a spruce top soon>haha
i went down to The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) yesterday and hung out with Mike for a little while..

I saw Benny at the Ukulele Picnic Sunday..he was hanging out at the Builders tent with Kimo Hussey..

Have you checked out the 2 new Devines at Pua Pua yet?

coolkayaker1
02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Bruddah Daniel... you met Benny Chong! Jeez Louise! --S

Dan Uke
02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Bruddah Daniel... you met Benny Chong! Jeez Louise! --S

They just come over to talk story and eat lunch. Brian Yasui and Bryon Tolentino?? were also there.

I regret not getting a Koaloha Concert that really sang. I found that if you buy it there, you can pay get your name engraved into the wood. It looks really cool and they had Rio's (young kid) uke. it's just a production uke but really looks special with the name.

Dan Uke
02-16-2013, 06:26 PM
OK...I've had a good time so far but today was the most enjoyable. I had lunch and got to hang out with the Mystery Man Stan and Hawaii 50 (Len). These are two quality guys and now that Len retired and moved back to Hawaii, I can imagine these guys hanging out and talking story.

I've played several different makers so I am more focused in searching for ukes.

Here's a picture of them so if you see them, say hello!! BTW, Stan is on the right :p

mm stan
02-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Mahalo Danny and Lenny for the awesome time too...We had lunch and at a nice japanese restaurant buffet, in Ala Moana Shopping Center....
and talked up a storm as like we were old friends....always nice to meet UU members in person, they are the greatest...as always, mystery man still lives...:):o

mds725
02-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Hey Stan, Len and Daniel: I'm officially jealous that you guys got to hang out and I wasn't there. Spending time with Stan is just plain fun! Looks like you were having a great time!

dkcrown
02-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Looks like you guys had a great time. I hope to get to Hawaii sometime in the future so I can hook up with those guys myself. I'm jealous once again. We're in the middle of another snow storm here.

It's nice to see you wearing your colors Daniel! Let's hope for a better year this year.

Dan Uke
02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Looks like you guys had a great time. I hope to get to Hawaii sometime in the future so I can hook up with those guys myself. I'm jealous once again. We're in the middle of another snow storm here.

It's nice to see you wearing your colors Daniel! Let's hope for a better year this year.

Yeah, if Bo Sox are in a tight pennant race, I have to come visit you in September...of course, I'll bring my MBU so we can jam!!

I know everyone knows Stan but Len is seriously one cool guy. He stayed the whole time at Ukulele Picnic and helped out. His heart is as big as Stan's!!

hawaii 50
02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah, if Bo Sox are in a tight pennant race, I have to come visit you in September...of course, I'll bring my MBU so we can jam!!

I know everyone knows Stan but Len is seriously one cool guy. He stayed the whole time at Ukulele Picnic and helped out. His heart is as big as Stan's!!

Aloha Daniel..
Nice picture Ha ha..i been busy the last couple days..but i should be online next week..for sure..going to visit Stan this week and take my CR,Graziano and my Mya Moe to him..we compare with his Moore Bettah and all his other ukes..i need 3 days to see um all right Lol..i let him give you a review on a PM Lol..

Thanks for the nice words..
trying to meet everyone i can in the uke community here..i gots the time Haha

sooo good to be retired,,and i hope everyone i know call me when they get here on Vacation..starting with Danny(bkmdano)end of the month then CJ(tigeralum2001) in May..if Stan up to it he got to meet all my UU friends..good fun meeting you Daniel..you one good guy!

Hope to see you again soon on Oahu..now that am here i made contact with Eric Devine and starting to get excited about my Devine!! my Vento being built now..

take care brah!