How many of you have purchased ukes after attending a factory tour?

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just went on a solo tour at Koaloha and I was so tempted to buy a factory tour second but I ended with only 2 shirts (t-shirt & polo) and a great time so it was still a great trip.

I saw a couple of custom ukes and Herb Ohta Jr's uke was getting ready to be sprayed. (I want) I found out besides the Black and Red Label, they will start with a White Label that will be made by Paul Okami. Wait list is closed for another year or two so don't get your hopes up. Since no one was with me, I asked a lot of technical questions about bracing, type of glue, radius backs, shaping the neck, etc. I played Brian's personal uke and it sounds amazing. The customs seem to be made difft than the production ukes.

They had so many factory seconds so it's a good time to go on the tour!!

Going on the Kamaka Factory Tour next!!

I took the (Joe-Boy's Ukes) Kanilea tour a couple of years ago but they hadn't replenished from Christmas yet so there wasn't anything to buy. Then I had a Moore Bettah in my hands on the Big Island, but I wasn't worthy.

I've never attended a factory tour but hope to some day. :)

I know a bit about how instruments are constructed, but it would be interesting to see it up close and personal.

Even a mass produced factory like they have in China must be interesting. There is a lot of hand crafting that goes on in the making of any instrument. Those Chinese workers may not be luthiers, but they do craft instruments.

No such thing as a magic machine where you put all the parts in a box, push a button, wait a while, and then out pops a finished instrument.

i would never get out of a factory tour without a uke in my hand. It's a good thing I don't live in Hawaii.:drool:

They had so many factory seconds so it's a good time to go on the tour!!
What all did they have?

Then I had a Moore Bettah in my hands on the Big Island, but I wasn't worthy.
I dream of the day that happens to me. Worthy or not, if I get the opportunity, it will be coming home with me... trust me when I say I am not worthy, either...

On my "Ukuleles in Paradise" trip to Oahu:

I went to the Kanile'a factory, had a private two hour tour with Joe Souza and bought a gorgeous concert that just been strung.

I went to the KoAloha factory, and bought a longneck soprano on their factory seconds wall that was played and pre-approved by Roy Sakuma.

I went to the Kamaka factory and came away with a T-shirt, cuz I had drained my ukulele fund.

Gillian, u sure gots sum saweet ukes in ur sig na cha. Nice!!

On my "Ukuleles in Paradise" trip to Oahu:

I went to the Kanile'a factory, had a private two hour tour with Joe Souza and bought a gorgeous concert that just been strung.

I went to the KoAloha factory, and bought a longneck soprano on their factory seconds wall that was played and pre-approved by Roy Sakuma.

I went to the Kamaka factory and came away with a T-shirt, cuz I had drained my ukulele fund.

That's how you do it!!

What all did they have?

One tenor, several concerts, sopranos, pineapples but I didn't see any long necks. There was a concert that spoke to me but I had to pass. If my wife came, I'm sure I would have walked out with one but that's how it works. Do you want me to pick one up for you? LOL

I have never been on a factory tour Daniel, but if I ever do go on one, I can't imagine leaving the place without a uke of some kind.

I ordered my first Ko'olau after visiting their shop and meeting Noa in 2001.

2/11/11: Did the Kamaka factory tour personally conducted by Fred on the first day of my first visit ever to Honolulu; was advised that no ukes were available at that time for factory retail sale

2/28/11: Called Kamaka soon after my return home, and placed my purchase order for an HF-3 with Yukari, who reminded me of their "six week" backlog

4/28/11 (8+ weeks later...): My beautiful Kamaka HF-3 tenor (official build date 3/07/11) finally arrived! I'm a happy guy!

IMG_1248.jpg

I took the (Joe-Boy's Ukes) Kanilea tour a couple of years ago but they hadn't replenished from Christmas yet so there wasn't anything to buy. Then I had a Moore Bettah in my hands on the Big Island, but I wasn't worthy.

I don't understand this.

In golf, if someone asked me to play Augusta with them, you could bet that my credit card would be bruised a bit, but it would happen. An available MB would be making the trip home with me!

What all did they have?

I dream of the day that happens to me. Worthy or not, if I get the opportunity, it will be coming home with me... trust me when I say I am not worthy, either...

CJ, I would love to go on a factory tour with you just so I could observe the carnage:)

Just came back from the Kamaka Factory Tour and came back with no uke again. Benny Chong was there so I bought his CD and got it signed. He played 2 songs on his custom Kamaka Spruce / Koa cutaway bari. He is amazing. Bought another CD from Chris Kamaka.

Koaloha tenor and Pono MC at the factory. Well worth the trip to the factories. The reduced OCD about strum scratches and the usual dings while playing is worth something, too.

3 years ago, I attended the Koaloha factory tour. Of course I purchased one, it was a concert uke. It is a factory second, and has a very small flaw on the back. It's nice, I usually play it.;

Top Bottom