Brace Shaping Plane

Liam Ryan

Reaction score
I got this little plane with the intent to make a dedicated brace shaping plane.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Ebony-Japanese-Bench-Plane-KJ9001-055-/121057690449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f99c351#ht_2891wt_984

I pretty much eye balled the angle to suit the brace dimensions I use, then I shaped it on the belt sander. After that I ran it across the 15' radius dish. The corners needed some rounding too. The blade's probably not going to set any records but we're just planning a little spanish cedar, not dressing ebony boards. The uneven looking angles are just a camera angle trick. The wood body plane won't mar the inside of the back either.

IMG_1113.jpg

Their BWB's are pretty cheap too

Cool idea.
That might prevent the usual gouges I put in the plate while shaping my braces with a chisel.

not ticumab

I have made a few using blades from my 45 combo plane. I ground the profile on an ice skate grinder. They work really well. I have replaced the wooden wedges with a screw adjuster after I made a small hammer to beat them to death.

Attachments

• PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0021.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 29
  • PICT0022.jpg
    PICT0022.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 31
  • PICT0017.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
............and their tortoise bindings, and their kerfed linings and their etc.................

Hahaha- even their marriage strips are temping. I like their hand heat bender with digital temp readout. They even have rope binding....hhhmmmm

Not sure about that rainbow cellulous binding- looks to much like what you see on the pavement on a Sunday morning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom