Adding veneer - how does it affect tone?

ChaosToo

Reaction score
I'm wanting to 'fettle' my little Mahalo and I've found some very thin (0.015mm) veneer sheet that I was thinking about adding to the sides to cover up the holes where I've removed the active pickup bits.

It got me thinking about whether veneer of that thickness would have any detrimental effect on the uke's tone if I used it on the back or front too?

The current body is cheapo laminate that seems to be about 2mm thick, and I realise that 'tone' and 'Mahalo ukes' don't often go together, but I'm interested to hear the expert opinions on this...

Many thanks

Those sides are already laminated so it wont do much/anything

That's what I thought, but thanks for confirming it for me.

But whilst you're here, what about adding some similar thickness veneer on the back and/or front for decorative purposes? Will that affect the resonance of the body to any great degree?

Aren't they the $20 jobs??? I wasn't aware that the $20 Mahalo had any resonances :)

If its the real cheap bright coloured ones i'm thinking of, you could veneer the sides and back without any effect i think. Top veneer might possibly effect it. For $20 they are wall hangers anyway, so you might as well have some fun!

It wasn't the cheapest one - it's a U220e (although I've now removed the 'e' bits, as they are junk!) and they cost about £50 over here ($77), but I'm sure they're a lot cheaper in the US (like everything else).

It's supposed to be a mahogany laminate with a nato neck, but I'm not so sure.

Tone wise, it's actually not too bad, not that I'm an expert, but like you say, it's only a 'cheap' uke in the grand scheme of things, so I am using it to hone my setup and 'fettling' skills....

Thanks for the help :D

if it is a wood veneer finish (ie- not bright pink etc) already, id leave it, unless your veneer is amazingly figured or something.

If you haven't done it before, id buy the cheapest uke i could find and practice on it first

if it is a wood veneer finish (ie- not bright pink etc) already, id leave it, unless your veneer is amazingly figured or something.

If you haven't done it before, id buy the cheapest uke i could find and practice on it first

Thanks again for the info - I think I'll just veneer the sides to cover up the holes and leave it at that for now...... like you say, I might get a really cheap and nasty one to practice inlaying and a bit of veneer work

:D

if they are in appropriate locations, you could turn those holes into a sound port

I had thought about that for the one on the top - it's pretty much in an ideal spot for a sound hole, given that it points right at me as I play. Definitely a plan that is!

The bottom one will need making good, but I will be using it to mount a passive pickup jack socket, seeing as it'll save me drilling another hole!

Top Bottom