PDA

View Full Version : Seasons End of the Year EXTRAVAGANZA!

austin1
02-14-2013, 11:51 AM
HOLY G CHORD BATMAN, we're made it through one whole year of the Seasons of the Uke!

To celebrate our collective amazingness, we're having a Seasons End of the Year EXTRAVAGANZA in all capital letters and picking our favorite Seasons entries in ten categories. They are:

(In the People category)
Aloha Winner of the Year
Most Improved Player
Most Excellent Host
Seasonista You'd Most Like To Enter The Seasons With
Style Award

(In the Videos category)
Best Overall Performance
Best Duet/Group
Best Original Song
Funniest Video
People's Choice Video of the Year

FAQ

How does it work?
Copy and paste the above ballot into a PM, add your choices for the winner in each category (preferably with a link to the videos, that would be awesome). That is correct, you can vote for multiple people/videos in each category--everyone you thing deserves recognition! Then send your completed ballot to me, I'll tally up the votes and then publish them in their own thread.

Will you lie?
Nope.

Are there prizes for each category?
I'll be putting my super certificate powers to work, but if anyone wants to offer prizes, go for it.

What is the Aloha Winner of the Year?
That's the category for whomever you think has done the best job of spreading seasons love, joy, positivity, and encouragement to all.

Do bonus videos count in the People's Choice Video of the Year?
Yes. Anything goes in that category.

Can I vote for the same person/video in multiple categories?
Yep!

Do I have to vote in every single category?
No. If you've only got favorites for some of the categories, just vote in those.

Can I vote for myself?
Let's try and avoid that.

Have you cleared out your inbox?
COMPLETELY.

When is the deadline?
The deadline is one week from today, so Thursday, Feb. 21st

Questions or comments? Hit me up in the thread below! And...vote! Vote vote vote!

From the bottom of my heart, thank you guys for celebrating the end of the seasons with me. Here's to another year for all-around awesomeness.

GinnyT11
02-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Please also tell Tina if you've posted entries in most or all of the weeks. Anyone who's posted in 45 weeks or more should get some applause.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Ah, this looks fun. One question/suggestion: May we please vote for more than one Seasonista for each category?

That way we don't have to choose just one favorite in each category, and we'll get much more information from each voter about which Seasonistas and videos deserve recognition. (This is the way the Mathematical Association of America votes, so trust me, it's fair.)

ukuloonie
02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Tina this is awesome
Woo HOO I have to go through the videos and see whom I am gonna vote for

austin1
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Ah, this looks fun. One question/suggestion: May we please vote for more than one Seasonista for each category?

That way we don't have to choose just one favorite in each category, and we'll get much more information from each voter about which Seasonistas and videos deserve recognition. (This is the way the Mathematical Association of America votes, so trust me, it's fair.)

Executive decision: yes.

austin1
02-15-2013, 01:58 AM
If the two people who have already voted want to re-vote under the new rule (that you can vote for more than one person in each category), send me another PM!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Executive decision: yes.

Woohoo! Thanks, Tina. So much easier for me to find my favorites than to choose one favorite. Whee!!!

barefootgypsy
02-15-2013, 09:36 AM
This is absolutely great, what a fabulous way to celebrate a full year of the Seasons, Tina you are a star!

glass
02-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Way to go Tina!! Gotta go figure stuff out!!

austin1
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
This is absolutely great, what a fabulous way to celebrate a full year of the Seasons, Tina you are a star!

oh pshaw, I'm just pushing the paperwork. The Seasonistas are the stars here :D

The Ukelites
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
oh pshaw, I'm just pushing the paperwork. The Seasonistas are the stars here :D

Thanks for pushing the "paper" work! Awesome idea! Just looked again through all those fab vids! Pm is sent. :)

ukuLily Mars
02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
This is awesome! I've been traveling for several weeks and have only been checking in sporadically, and I just had some time to catch up. And look what I find! Tina, you do so much more than push paper...you turn it into CERTIFICATES! Thanks for running with this.

Now I have to find a way to cast votes for Filipinouker's guinea pig and Rex's sock monkey.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Now I have to find a way to cast votes for Filipinouker's guinea pig and Rex's sock monkey.

Those things have style. Lots of it, too. :)

GinnyT11
02-16-2013, 04:14 AM
I've just sent Tina my ballot, and I'm announcing it here so the thread will be bumped. We need LOTS of Seasonistas voting!!

austin1
02-16-2013, 04:43 AM
what Ginny said! In a few categories there are clear leaders at the moment, but in the majority of them...we have two-, three-, and four-way ties. Please vote with ALL your favorites!

we tigers
02-16-2013, 06:44 AM
We'll have a look tonight and send our vote. Great initiative Tina!

Wongo
02-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Have sent my votes

austin1
02-16-2013, 11:33 PM
thank you!

austin1
02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
organizing the end of the year extravaganza is like playing that racehorse carnival game where you have a water gun and you have to aim it at the target so your horse moves forward. I'm sitting here, watching the horses move forward, and going GO HORSES GO HORSES GO HORSES GO. Except in super, super slow motion. So it's more like

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

What I'm trying to say is vote. Also, I love you.

ukuloonie
02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
I just have to sort out two votes mine is coming.

austin1
02-18-2013, 06:06 AM
I've got two more sets of votes in, but we still have a five-, three-, and two two-way ties, so vote if you haven't already!

mattydee
02-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Voted! Ka-BOOM!

chrimess
02-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Can I have a little 'I voted' sticker, please, to excuse my 2-hour absence from work.

austin1
02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Can I have a little 'I voted' sticker, please, to excuse my 2-hour absence from work.

Request granted!

http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/2012/11/5097f3d86282a.png

barefootgypsy
02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
This is so hard - I only joined the Seasons in about week 29.... but I'll try and come up with something.... is there a deadline?

Oh yeah, found it Feb 21st....... sorry!

wolfchs
02-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Got my votes in! Woo-hoo! btw, i love :spam: and eggs on rice.

wee_ginga_yin
02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
If it is an extravaganza do we get gold envelopes and clips of the nominees ?

My vote is in.

austin1
02-18-2013, 11:49 PM
If it is an extravaganza do we get gold envelopes and clips of the nominees ?

My vote is in.

no, only because Willy Wonka gave me nightmares as a child. I still can't hear the oompa loompa song without getting really, really anxious. Is that weird?

consitter
02-18-2013, 11:55 PM
no, only because Willy Wonka gave me nightmares as a child. I still can't hear the oompa loompa song without getting really, really anxious. Is that weird?

I hated it when the kid swelled up when he ate the Everlasting Gobstopper.

uytaelee
02-19-2013, 03:55 AM
An entry from way back in week 18! My brother and I cover "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQn1d3VslY

The Ukelites
02-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Request granted!

:biglaugh:

ksiegel
02-19-2013, 06:38 AM
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I want to vote for EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

And I don't have time to go look at ALL the seasons again!!!!!! (I know - I just watched 3 of them in a row, and didn't get ANYTHING else done around the house!)

I might have to take the coward's way out, and just pick from the winners, BUT:

I Publicly Vote for Tina (Austin1) as the Most Excellent Host, Certificate Giver, and Hug Giver of the year!

-Kurt

Hippie Dribble
02-19-2013, 09:26 AM

no, you're not weird (unless we both are)... it gave me nightmares too, that movie. so did The Wizard of Oz.

chrimess
02-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Request granted!

Yeah- as a green card holder, this is going to get me kicked out of the country, though.

austin1
02-19-2013, 10:29 AM
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I want to vote for EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

And I don't have time to go look at ALL the seasons again!!!!!! (I know - I just watched 3 of them in a row, and didn't get ANYTHING else done around the house!)

I might have to take the coward's way out, and just pick from the winners, BUT:

I Publicly Vote for Tina (Austin1) as the Most Excellent Host, Certificate Giver, and Hug Giver of the year!

-Kurt

then this is my suggestion--instead of going back through all the seasons, just vote for those videos/people stood out in your brain. yay!

GinnyT11
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
then this is my suggestion--instead of going back through all the seasons, just vote for those videos/people stood out in your brain. yay!

Another way is to look over the names in the Seasonistas group (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=248) and perhaps it will prompt you to remember a special tune by one of them (e.g., Tina transforming into Doris Day, Peewee doing a rain song in a school's restroom, thesillydave as El Vez, filipinouker's 4-song mashup).

austin1
02-19-2013, 01:40 PM
what Ginny said. Please keep voting guys, it's tight races/ties in almost every category!

austin1
02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
no, you're not weird (unless we both are)... it gave me nightmares too, that movie. so did The Wizard of Oz.

finally, after years of merciless teasing, I am vindicated!

austin1
02-20-2013, 04:17 AM
voting voting voting voting?

wee_ginga_yin
02-20-2013, 04:57 AM
finally, after years of merciless teasing, I am vindicated!

One agreement does not a vindication make.

elmann
02-20-2013, 07:24 AM
... don't have time to go look at ALL the seasons ...
I tell you: hard work! Lot's are gone/privat, some bare facts :iwant: are not to find! :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Voted! Thanks, Tina!!!

GinnyT11
02-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Don't make it hard work! You don't need to watch lots of videos.

Skim through the playlists. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66328-Putting-together-all-the-seasons-of-the-Ukulele
Some of those players' thumbnails will jump out with a memory for you (e.g., Dave Wave's naked song, weeginga's Russian Ballgame tango) and you may want to look at those. If you can't remember them, they probably wouldn't be your top contenders for best video.

REMEMBER, you don't have to vote for EVERY category! You can send in a ballot with only a couple categories filled, but please vote!

Make Tina feel that her spread sheet work is worthwhile!

krabbers
02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
i have sent my votes in :)

Jazzbanjorex
02-20-2013, 08:25 AM
I have voted! After a badgering PM from Tina. Geesh, lady. I accept a gift from you and you think you own me. I'm just kidding. Luv Ya. Hope you have a sense of humor. This was a cool idea. Made me remember a bunch of memorable videos I've seen this year. Thank you everyone for your videos which I've enjoyed and glimpses into your wonderful personalities.

Hey Tina, did the movie Rodger Rabbit freak you out?

chrimess
02-20-2013, 08:59 AM
how could a movie starring Madonna not freak you out?

I have voted! After a badgering PM from Tina. Geesh, lady. I accept a gift from you and you think you own me. I'm just kidding. Luv Ya. Hope you have a sense of humor. This was a cool idea. Made me remember a bunch of memorable videos I've seen this year. Thank you everyone for your videos which I've enjoyed and glimpses into your wonderful personalities.

austin1
02-20-2013, 09:08 AM

BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/637/Honey-Badger-Dont-Care.jpg

And to answer your question, Roger Rabbit is the second scariest movie of my childhood.

:D

austin1
02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
I would like to amend that: Roger Rabbit is the third scariest movie of my childhood. The second is the Brave Little Toaster, that scene with the vacuum cleaner and the closet and then again at the dump where the machine is crushing up all the metal...still gives me the heebie jeebies.

GinnyT11
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I would like to amend that: Roger Rabbit is the third scariest movie of my childhood. The second is the Brave Little Toaster, that scene with the vacuum cleaner and the closet and then again at the dump where the machine is crushing up all the metal...still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Tina, this is eerie to me. My son worked for a while for a video quality-control company, checking the master before 50,000 prints were made. He texted me in amusement when he was reviewing The Ten Commandments. I replied that the scene where the Hebrew slaves were moving giant stones on skids and a woman greasing them got her sash caught and presumably died had haunted me. He said, "Remember how I ran out of the room when the Brave Little Toaster was about to get crushed? And how I cried at Roger Rabbit?"

we tigers
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
At last... Voted! Thanks, Tina!

austin1
02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Tina, this is eerie to me. My son worked for a while for a video quality-control company, checking the master before 50,000 prints were made. He texted me in amusement when he was reviewing The Ten Commandments. I replied that the scene where the Hebrew slaves were moving giant stones on skids and a woman greasing them got her sash caught and presumably died had haunted me. He said, "Remember how I ran out of the room when the Brave Little Toaster was about to get crushed? And how I cried at Roger Rabbit?"

That's because they're SCARY.

Thanks for voting guys, keep them coming!

austin1
02-23-2013, 01:35 AM
if anyone hasn't voted but wants to, I'm leaving voting open until the end of the weekend, because I won't even begin to think about making the video until then. So, keep voting!

austin1
02-24-2013, 06:08 AM
hey all! Please please PLEASE keep voting! We have an eight-way tie in one category and we need your votes to change it!

GinnyT11
02-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Or a gladiator fight would change it—short sword and ukulele as weapons!

ukuLily Mars
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Or a gladiator fight would change it—short sword and ukulele as weapons!

That would be AWESOME.

austin1
02-24-2013, 09:54 AM
eight way tie is now a nine way tie. Maybe we should just do a poll.

myrnaukelele
02-24-2013, 10:23 AM
hey all! Please please PLEASE keep voting! We have an eight-way tie in one category and we need your votes to change it!

An eight way tie?? give 'em ALL a blue ribbon lol!

ukuloonie
02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Maybe a random generator to get the name?

austin1
02-24-2013, 12:40 PM
I've got a solution!

J-Peg
02-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for putting this together, Tina.
And for extending the deadline.

austin1
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
voting is by executive decision still open. yay!

austin1
02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
and, if we're being entirely honest with ourselves, will probably remain so until this paper is finished. So you've 8-13 more pages worth of time to vote if you haven't already.

GinnyT11
02-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Are you using a big font?

austin1
02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Are you using a big font?

times new roman 12?

7-12 pages left!

chrimess
02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
One might think you're from Florida rather than indiana the way this election is going, Tiins.
voting is by executive decision still open. yay!

austin1
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM
One might think you're from Florida rather than indiana the way this election is going, Tiins.

:D I've had a few votes trickle in, so I know it's alright.

Joko
03-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Might I suggest, Austin, that you re-post the winners of our Seasons categories to their appropriate categories in the UUCA contest? Sort of a nice way to tie our corner of UU into the larger site...

Jazzbanjorex
11-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Bumping this post to the front.

redpaul1
11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Bumping this post to the front.

Thanks! I was (as you probably guessed) looking for this.