I have some questions about dry climates

Kamanaaloha

Kanaka
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought my dad a Pono MTD as a new "player" for his place in Deer Valley, Utah. I also bought him an Oasis humidifier. It can get extremely dry there in the winter with heating on etc.

My first question is this: If he travels for an extended period of time...like coming back to Hawaii for 3 months, will the ukulele crack or will there be enough moisture with the oasis humidifier?

My second question is this: Should he store the ukulele in a closed bathroom with oasis humidifier, as the water from the "proverbial bowl" should help mitigate some of the dryness?

My third question is: how often does one need to re-fill the humidifier...since I do not have the directions and have never needed to use one given my resident climate?

Thanks!

BTW: I know there were other posts on this...I just wanted a quick answer so I did not have to scour the forums for the answer.

:confused:

Last edited:
I read some of the previous posts. I think Rick Turner's was good except it was missing some verbage regarding where to store nitrocellulose or whatever kind of newfangled finish...as melting or having bindings burned by nitric acid build-up...but not sure if that was "out" or "in" the case...or why that happened. I get the whole chemical thing...and I am guessing he means have them out fi they have nitro-cellulose lacquer or binding...but how does that effect my dad with his new Pono MTD? <sorry dim bulb moment>

Last edited:
dry climate

Hi...So, I live outside Tucson, Az where the humidity gets well into single digits in early summer and I travel to the Philippines in winter always with a uke. This year it was with a solid koa Anaole and never experienced any problems. I do use an oasis humidifier in all my solid ukes and havn't had any cracking yet. Normally the humidifier will start to compress in when it gets low on water. But probably good to check it once a week anyway and good idea to use distilled water..:cool:

Three months is too long to go without refilling your humidifier in a really dry climate. I don't know if damage to the uke would occur during that time though. In the winter here in New England, I need to refill my Oasis every 2-2 1/2 weeks. And I also keep a Herco clay style humidifier in the case as well

Top Bottom