Aquila Baritone GCEA

Paul December

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Aquila Baritone GCEA strings are available with a Low G? If yes, is it wound? If yes, is the C wound as well?

I have a GCEA aquila set on my bari--only high G was available when I looked. No wound strings in the set I got at all.

For a baritone with low G-CEA tuning, IMHO Southcoast strings are the way to go. Be sure to check out their web site - a lot of excellent info on strings, materials, tunings, etc.

I don't think they make a stringset for C tuned bari with wound strings. The highest wound set is a Bb tuning with the ML-RW strings. The wound strings would not have a good resonance and the tension would more than likely pull the bridge off. Dirk explains it in his bulletin #4 re Baritone strings and tunings.

You could put on a set of Bb and throw a capo on the sencond fret for a C tuning.

I don't think they make a stringset for C tuned bari with wound strings....

Hello Patrick - Yes we do!

The set we had that gives g c' e' a' on a Baritone (& a d' f#' b on a Tenor) was called our "Linear Ukulele Set". When we updated the site, all the linear sets got new names like the reentrant sets, in other words, "Light", "Medium" etc. That set is now the LL-NW (Light Gauge Linear - no wound strings) set.

We also, however added another set for those tunings - our first with a single wound string. It's called the LL-RW (for "round wound") and has a polished round wound 4th string only.

We've never liked a single wound set on more standard gauges, as the wound 4th (lots of clarity - lots of sustain) next to a relatively heavy plain 3rd (somewhat muddy - not much sustain) makes the 4th sound like a duck out of water, and throws off the balance of the whole set. In other words, the 4-3 transition is awful. It's smoother if the wound/plain transition is a 3-2, as the second string is much livlier than a plain 3rd.

With this light gauge set, however, the 3rd is closer to the response of a normal gauge 2nd string, so in this case, a 4-3 transition works fine.

Compared to the NW set, the RWs are a little brighter overall. We didn't change just one string - the entire set is different. It also has a touch more tension. It's likely that if your Baritone has a build on the heavier side, it will respond better to RWs.

Last edited:
LOL Dirk, just when I think I have your string selection fairly well memorized......Looks like another Southcoast string to try out next time.

Top Bottom