how to find a comfortable strum..

frugalaudio

Reaction score
Any tips on how to find a comfortable strum? Not the pattern, just how to find a comfortable way for your finger(s) to strum the strings consistently. The "point your index finger at yourself" method isn't exactly working for me so far. My index finger is pretty short. If I leave my other fingers loose, they tend to get caught up in things. If I roll them under, my index finger starts to feel too rigid. My finger seems to want to catch on the g-string on the down stroke. If it's not that, it's catching on the edge of the finger board. I've tried to adjust and be sure I'm not strumming to close to the uke. Anyhow, goofing up the strum messes up my count and makes it hard to practice chord changes. All advice welcome! I'm only a couple weeks into this adventure. So soldier on I shall. :)

Find the hand position that seems to work out the best for then practice it slowly......over and over slowly and gradually build up the speed. i had the same problems at first and resorted to trying to strum like a guitar, by holding an imaginary pick between my thumb and forefinger. It worked at first, but I found the up strokes to be difficult, so i went back to the index finger method and just kept at it. A few weeks later, it was natural to strum that way.

It's not unusual to struggle with the strum when you start out. Don't worry about speed, just try to achieve a slow smooth strum using whatever finger position is comfortable for you. Once you have mastered a consistent slow strum, you can start to gradually speed it up.

In the meantime, when you are practicing chord changes, try using a simple downstroke with your thumb.

Thanks, folks. I'm still at it. :) I suspect finding a consistent posture with the uke is part of the strumming problem. I may try a strap or leash at some point.

One tip: Keep it simple. For practice, just play downstrokes on the beats: 1, 2, 3, 4. Practice playing softly, loudly, medium volume. Just on 1, 2, 3, 4. Do this for a few minutes a day until it feels totally smooth and comfortable. (Don't forget to do whatever you like with your ukulele for lots and lots of minutes a day as well.)

I need to learn to strum properly :/ I'm still a thumber

Thumber

I'm a thumber too, but I don't really expect to play for anyone but myself. I can't even squeeze in ten minutes a day sometimes :-S

I recently adopted the folding of the other three fingers, cos they would regularly foul the strings, its better for me..

Really glad to hear that I'm not the only one kludging things up with extra fingers etc. :) Saw a video yesterday of a fella strumming down with his thumb, up with a finger. May try that at some point.

A simple technique I was taught was like shaking water from your hand, wrist action only, shoulder and upper arm relaxed. Shake down = first finger strum (or combination of first & second, or three fingers). Flick up = thumb strum. No arm movement. Strum at the place where the neck joins the body of the instrument.

If you curl your fingers underneath, you're adding tension, not so great in the long term. Better to keep the fingers handy in correct shape in case you need them!

Works for me. And it looks good if I am faking it (air uke).

That is the technique advised by my Clawhammer Banjer instructor. While I'm awaiting the 'phone call advising that my Uke is in,...I'll practice incorporating an up movement strum.
R

Finding a comfortable uke and strings to do with helps too....remember...Practice, Patience and Perseverence and one day it will come naturally...happy strummings..

As a newbie, all I did/do is just mess about trying different things.

I tried using my thumb, then my index finger, then my middle finger, then a combination of all three. I've even tried running my first three fingers down the strings to create that 'harp' type strum.

I've used my nail 'square on' on the downstroke and finger 'pad' on the upstroke as well as the tip of my finger to strum both ways.

I've combined strumming with picking the top and bottom string, I've combined strumming with thumb-picking the G string.

I've begun to try 'chunking' as well as muting with my little finger and the muting you get by releasing pressure on the fretted notes.

I'm currently using a combination of all of the above, although my 'go to' strum is with my index finger, using the inside edge mostly, but using a combination of pad/nail to provide dynamics.

Just keep playing, keeping trying out new things and find something that works for you.

To me, one of the best things about playing an uke is the fact that it seems to be such an individual thing and there doesn't seem to be the thought process that one thing is necessarily 'right' nor another necessarily 'wrong'.

Just keep strummin it will come . All you need is time behind that uke. I'm a fingers straight out strummer and sometimes a thumb strummer and when I play my soprano I do kind of a flick across the strings with my pointer just cause I like the sound of it.

Playing should be fun and easy (easy takes practice). So I'm all for digging in and doing whatever works for you.

I do see the benefit of getting some personal instruction on correct posture and strumming so you don't have problems down the road. Bad habits are much harder to correct than creating good new habits from the start (especially if you are approaching it from another instrument, where technique could be totally different).

You might not need more than a few short lessons to get you started in the right direction. For me it was a 3 hour express workshop, it made a big difference.

I have a lifetime of poor posture that has now resulted in right shoulder issues (causing me pain & numbness now), so I'm quite focused on posture and technique in everything I do.

Top Bottom