PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or a common problem?

etf
02-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if you tend to remember what you learn or after a day or so do you forget?
Not sure if its me being a late starter at 54 but I tend to find a song I love, I learn it, then after a few days and playing other things I forget how I played that original song lol. Now, is it me or just a case of playing it over and over again till it sinks in or do you constantly have the song sheets in front of you. I so admire people who just pick up an instrument at a party and can just play song after song just from memory.
Would love to hear your methods of how you get a song to sink in and stay?
Just hope my memory lasts long enough to remember I posted this after reading other posts.

ETF :cool:

Liamfsus7
02-14-2013, 10:37 PM
This happens to me daily!! If I really do like a song then ill keep going back. If not, I have in my uke book should I need it :)

buddhuu
02-14-2013, 10:38 PM
The key to getting stuff to stick in your head, and in your fingers, is repetition.

Start slow, get it right, work it up to speed and then repeat it every practice until it sticks - then periodically revisit for a refresher.

etf
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the advice Buddhuu

The key to getting stuff to stick in your head, and in your fingers, is repetition.

Start slow, get it right, work it up to speed and then repeat it every practice until it sticks - then periodically revisit for a refresher.

Barbablanca
02-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Sadly, I do think this is an age thing. I'm now 58. Thirty years ago, I would write a song and never forget how it went after playing it maybe ten times. I'd even be able to play it ten years later without a bum chord, etc. Then, about five years ago, I noticed this skill had deserted me. Now I have to use a crib sheet when gigging, because I just don't trust my memory like I used to be able to. Of course, another factor might simply be the sheer amount of information we are now exposed to. The human brain was not programmed to cope with the volume of info we absorb every week via the media and the net (and real life).

Buddhu offers the best advice, but, sadly, if the old brainbox is getting rusty, I'm not sure even that will solve the problem. "Adapt and survive", might be the only realistic tactic. :(

buddhuu
02-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Age definitely slows us down.

I'm nearly 53 and I think learning comes a little slower than it did when I was, say, 17. I think maybe it just takes even more repetition now! :D

Nipper
02-14-2013, 11:34 PM
I think it all depends on how much you really want to learn the songs. I have maybe 50 or 60 songs in my head at any one time, they are learned for the band or busking. To keep a song in my head long term I have to play it regularly, and so it has to be in my band or solo set. This means I play the songs hundreds of times. I play the songs in private, I sing them when riding my bike, I play them in rehearsal and I perform them. That is why I have so many in my head, playing a song 20 or 30 times at home is never going to make it stick, you need a reason to learn it and a determination to play it hundreds of times.

It is why we must all practice alone. Our, partners, friends, family, etc... don't want to hear the same thing hundreds of times, but if you want to be the chap that can pull out a uke and play songs off the cuff at a party that is what you have to do.

austin1
02-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Don't worry, I'm 24 and can play all of one song by memory on the uke and one on the guitar. That's all I got! Even instrumental songs that I myself have arranged...yeah, nope. It's a good thing I tabbed them all out, or else I'd be very sad.

etf
02-15-2013, 01:49 AM
All good reading. I don't want to be the one taking my ukulele to play at parties all the time, I'm to new at it to even attempt lol. However, I just admire any musician who can at the drop of a hat reel off songs without even thinking. As long as I'm still at an age that I can remember where my ukulele is I'm happy to carry on having fun day to day.

mm stan
02-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Practice, patience and perservernce.... You know at my age...it aint easy...LOL and you practice, learn it in sections of the verses....the more you play, the more you retain
for me if I don't play the song...I probally remember a riff..... also I tend to remember the songs I like and play well...go figure as they are the ones I played most often...good luck

Pukulele Pete
02-15-2013, 02:27 AM
I forgot the question.

Freeda
02-15-2013, 02:47 AM
I'm only 36 but I honestly doubt I will ever get off book for more than a couple songs. I took meds for a while that affected my memory and I don't know that it will ever come back, you know?

CountryMouse
02-15-2013, 03:27 AM
I thought it was just an age thing too. But it might be I just don't listen to music as much as I used to. I still can remember large chunks of songs from earlier in my life, when I used to listen to music a LOT and sing along. When I do videos, I almost ALWAYS have to have the lyrics in front of me. Oh well!

CountryMouse

ChaosToo
02-15-2013, 04:45 AM
I have a shocking memory - I'm happy if I can remember where I put my uke so that I can play it! :D

Nicko
02-15-2013, 04:55 AM
My goal is to have 8 or 10 songs that I can play/sing from memory. That'll be enough for all practical purposes. If I'm with even the most supportive friends and the uke is at hand and they say, "Hey, Nick, howsaboutasong?!" then I doubt they'll stay put for more than a few selections.

Somewhere in the 8-10 songs there should be 2 or 3 sing-alongs, a couple of songs that kids will like, a couple of comic songs, a couple of tin pan alley love songs. I'm good to go.

The rest that I want to sing around the house I can collect in a binder. Cycle a few into and out of the remembered group from time to time. Hell, that's good enough for me.

dkcrown
02-15-2013, 05:12 AM
I agree with what Rick said. Repetition is the key. Age definately has something to do with it though. Given the fact that we grew up in the late 60's and 70's. :) I too am 54. I think.

coolkayaker1
02-15-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm forty-something (I forget exactly) and I sometimes forget where my wife went! In a crowded store, I forget where we were supposed to meet up. So, I just tell her that I find her by looking for the prettiest woman in the entire store!!

And then I have that woman help me find my wife.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2013, 05:59 AM
I've playing around on the uke for 30 years. Luckily I remember a fair number of tunes I learned back in the 80s. But now that I've just turned 60 I can't remember a 4 chord sequence I learned yesterday.

Stackabones
02-15-2013, 06:03 AM
I forget about half of all the songs I know now, but I remember about half of all the songs I used to know.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2013, 06:06 AM
My goal is to have 8 or 10 songs that I can play/sing from memory. That'll be enough for all practical purposes. If I'm with even the most supportive friends and the uke is at hand and they say, "Hey, Nick, howsaboutasong?!" then I doubt they'll stay put for more than a few selections.

Somewhere in the 8-10 songs there should be 2 or 3 sing-alongs, a couple of songs that kids will like, a couple of comic songs, a couple of tin pan alley love songs. I'm good to go.

The rest that I want to sing around the house I can collect in a binder. Cycle a few into and out of the remembered group from time to time. Hell, that's good enough for me.

I have a friend who plays pretty well. When I first met him I admired his seemingly ability to play anything easily off the top of his head. It seemed that he could just go one for hours. Now that I've known him for several years, it turns out he's been playing the same handful of songs over and over. For everything else he needs the music to look at.

OldePhart
02-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Two aspects of the memory thing -

Short term - break a song up into bits and pieces and look for patterns - often you'll find all you really need to remember is two or three different patterns that repeat through the song.

Long term - I once asked a guitarist who had played in a well-known country musician's band for years how he could remember all those songs. He said he didn't consider that he "knew" a song until he had played it so many times that he really never wanted to play it again - then he was ready to take it on the road. :)

My problem isn't so much the remembering...well...yeah it is...but even when I've learned a song cold chances are I will forget something halfway through the moment the camera light goes on or I step up to an open mic if I don't have a lead sheet. Usually, if the sheet is there I end up never looking at it. If it's not there I will stumble and crash and burn. LOL

John

etf
02-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Some great stories here and some familiar outcomes lol. One thing that will stick with me and its not the song I played this morning. It's the fact that Mr Chuck Moore replied to one of my posts (twice) woohooooooo. Sadly it's as close as I will ever get to saying I own a Moore Bettah unless my Lotto numbers comes up.
One regret I do have and that is I didn't find and fall in love with the ukulele when I was young. Can you imagine how many songs I would have forgotten by now?

hawaii 50
02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I've playing around on the uke for 30 years. Luckily I remember a fair number of tunes I learned back in the 80s. But now that I've just turned 60 I can't remember a 4 chord sequence I learned yesterday.

Hey Chuck now i know why i like you..we the same age..i guess we grew up with the same kind music..but me in Hawaii and you where it all happened in San Francisco.. did you hang out at Winterland,Avalon.The Fillmore, the Haight etc..

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2013, 09:29 AM
did you hang out at Winterland,Avalon.The Fillmore, the Haight etc..
Yes, of course but I never really fit in with that crowd. I mostly hung around the "basement" jazz clubs in downtown SF. I can't believe that music didn't even start until after 10:00 pm back then, sometimes midnight, other times it never started at all but no one ever seemed to mind (or even know!)
I move to Hawaii when I was 30 so half my time's been spent here. I saved the best for last.

hawaii 50
02-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, of course but I never really fit in with that crowd. I mostly hung around the "basement" jazz clubs in downtown SF. I can't believe that music didn't even start until after 10:00 pm back then, sometimes midnight, other times it never started at all but no one ever seemed to mind (or even know!)
I move to Hawaii when I was 30 so half my time's been spent here. I saved the best for last.

Yeah me too Chuck Aloha Brah!

I saw Pat Methany at Keystone Corner a while ago..

mm stan
02-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Try t remember what key the song is in when you are a beginner...

Kyle23
02-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Haha same thing happens to me and I'm 21. I'll learn a song, play it for a whole day (literally) and if I try to think how it goes without the uke in my hand, I can't do it to save my life. I recently learned a song and that day I tried to play a song I played 100000 times, one of the first I learned and I got half way and totally drew a blank to what the next chords were. Happens to us all.

Nipper
02-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Although I know a lot of songs I have always traveled with songbooks, now I have a tablet (i-pad/nexus7/Kindle Fire), I have all my songs on that. Are others doing that? I don't use a music stand/music for performance, but an i-pad on a stand is much more discrete for a gig than a music stand.

Nicko
02-15-2013, 09:56 AM
When I used to play the fiddle a bit, I could play along with anything. Chords? What chords? One time through the tune and I could pretty much get the melody into my head and usually do a fair job of keeping up. All bets are off now that I have to pick out chord progressions.

How many people can do that? I mean, I can see sorting it out playing 3-chord numbers, but beyond that....YIKES!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Although I know a lot of songs I have always traveled with songbooks, now I have a tablet (i-pad/nexus7/Kindle Fire), I have all my songs on that. Are others doing that? I don't use a music stand/music for performance, but an i-pad on a stand is much more discrete for a gig than a music stand.

I have a ipad mini and I'm not sure of the best way to import music into it. Right now I'm just importing PDFs into an iFile or Dropbox app. Any suggestions?
Appreciated. :)

Nipper
02-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I have a ipad mini and I'm not sure of the best way to import music into it. Right now I'm just importing PDFs into an iFile or Dropbox app. Any suggestions?

Hi MBU, I use a Nexus 7 and use pdf reader for completed books and Google Drive to create new arrangements.

My band mate Tom(Drums and Uke) uses an ipad and I phoned him for advice... He uses an app called "pdf notes free" which has the advantage that you can hand write notes in the book. He said the free app has adverts at the bottom of the screen but if you disconnect the wifi, say at a gig or uke jam, the ads go away.

He also has a way of making pdfs from webpages if you are interested in that... however he will have to email those instructions for me to post here.

Hope that helps...

Newportlocal
02-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Most of my songs I have just been importing into iBooks. Some people use ForScore or Onsong.
Here is a thread.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66090-Talk-to-me-about-ipads

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi MBU, I use a Nexus 7 and use pdf reader for completed books and Google Drive to create new arrangements.

My band mate Tom(Drums and Uke) uses an ipad and I phoned him for advice... He uses an app called "pdf notes free" which has the advantage that you can hand write notes in the book. He said the free app has adverts at the bottom of the screen but if you disconnect the wifi, say at a gig or uke jam, the ads go away.

He also has a way of making pdfs from webpages if you are interested in that... however he will have to email those instructions for me to post here.

Hope that helps...

Thanks Nipper. I'm strictly a Mac guy so I will look into the "PDF notes free" app. Mahalo!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Most of my songs I have just been importing into iBooks. Some people use ForScore or Onsong.
Here is a thread.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66090-Talk-to-me-about-ipads

Great. Thanks. I should've gone there first.

EDIT****** Just bought ForScore. Looks like just the thing. Now if only the ipad were readable in the sun. *sigh*
Sorry for side stepping the original thread.

chrimess
02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Try thinking in sections, like verse chorus and bridge, memorize and assemble those into the whole song. For instrumentals, micro-practice, ie, go measure by measure, it also helps to play that stuff in front of the tv since it naturally distracts you and hammers it below the conscience.

etf
02-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi Chuck,
If its any help, I find Songbook Chordpro on iPad a good programme. Can't remember if it was free, it's mainly shown as a guitar app but its easy to use. You just put in a search for a song it finds it complete with chords etc, then you just save it to songs. The cool part is in the settings you can change it to Ukulele, banjo and several other instruments. When you change to ukulele it automatically changes the chords to suit the ukulele. You can also pick C or D tuning. Give it a try. You can also slow down or speed up tempo plus you control the speed the song scrolls so you never get to the point you need to stop playing to change the page. All I need to do now is remember where I stored the songs lol.

Newportlocal
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Great. Thanks. I should've gone there first.

EDIT****** Just bought ForScore. Looks like just the thing. Now if only the ipad were readable in the sun. *sigh*
Sorry for side stepping the original thread.

I assume you already have polarized glasses. Try wearing your polarized glasses. The screen should look black due to being blocked by polarization. Now turn your iPad sideways so it is in landscape mode. You should be able to see your screen now.

Wicked
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
The scientifically proven best way to learn something is to learn it, forget it, then learn it again. Your brain will file it into long-term memory the second time you learn it.

I'm not a neurologist, so don't ask me why this works (anecdotally, it seems to work for me), but I will try to dig up a link to the most recent study to confirm this.

OldePhart
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
...now I have a tablet (i-pad/nexus7/Kindle Fire), I have all my songs on that. Are others doing that?

I use an iPad at church (I play bass in the praise band). I switched to iPad because when we went to a darkened platform my vision is poor enough that paper didn't have enough contrast for me even with a stand light. I use NextPage and format PDFs especially for the iPad - most of our stuff ends up taking two pages at the large font size I use so I use an air turn pedal to change pages.

I have OnSong and some of my uke "catalog" (can't spell repertoire and too lazy to look it up) in OnSong format on the pad but I haven't used it yet. I'll probably use it at UWC this year, though.

John

OldePhart
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM

I just use iTunes (the application) on my PC. Select the iPad, select "apps", scroll down and select the app I want to transfer files to, and drag them into the box and hit "sync"

Of course, if you're not using iTunes, of if the app you're using on the tablet doesn't support iTunes file transfer, then all bets are off.

John

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
I just use iTunes (the application) on my PC. Select the iPad, select "apps", scroll down and select the app I want to transfer files to, and drag them into the box and hit "sync"

Of course, if you're not using iTunes, of if the app you're using on the tablet doesn't support iTunes file transfer, then all bets are off.

John

Yes, that's what I do now. (BTW, all my iStuff is Apple.) I was just wondering what specific apps people found most useful.
Much of my playing is in outdoor light and the iPad mini does a lousy job of displaying under those circumstances. The new Kindle Paperwhite has built in lights and can be read under any conditions. But I think it's strictly and eReader. You would think there could be one eDevice that could work under all lighting situations.

BigMamaJ40
02-16-2013, 06:08 AM
For me, it's age and meds. 25 years ago, I played in a band every Saturday night for 4 years. It took me less than a month to learn all the songs. All I needed was occasional help on what key we played in (because I would play some of the songs solo in a different key). Now, I have trouble remembering even one song all the way through, despite endless repetition.

So now, I depend on my iPad and On Song. OnSong tip: you can setup the screen to read as white-on-black instead of black-on-white to keep the "glow" less obvious on stage.