Gig Bags and Humidification

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hi Uke Friends:

So, all of my sopranos are in hardcases with Hercos, and because of my climate that's worked out just fine.

I have since begun building my Baritone Empire. The Kala KB is in a gig bag, but it's a laminate and I'm not that worried about humidifying it.

But I have some vintage instruments that I'd like to humidify. I have my Favilla in one of those canvas covered ugly-as-something-that's-ugly zippered cases, and I can get hercos in that case.

The others I have are also solid wood. My choices for Herco to fit are the real hard cases, which are around $70-90 smackers, or the aforementioned canvas zippered jobs at about $35.

Buying a bunch of Barry hard cases can add up fast. Anyone have any system they use to add humidification to a gig bag--or is that just impossible?

Thanks!

My Ubass is in a gigbag. I use home made humidifiers (water absorbing crystals in pill bottles). I also have a hygrometer to see how things are. I have twice as many humidifiers and refill them twice as often but it does keep the uke in the >40% mark. It just takes more monitoring.

My Ubass is in a gigbag. I use home made humidifiers (water absorbing crystals in pill bottles). I also have a hygrometer to see how things are. I have twice as many humidifiers and refill them twice as often but it does keep the uke in the >40% mark. It just takes more monitoring.

I do this too. Mine are in hard cases, it it works well for them.

For my ukes in gig bags, I use an Oasis humidifier, and I put the gig bag in a plastic bag. It seems to hold the moisture better. The plastic bag I use is one that was packaging for a new pillow, so it has a zipper on it. Just the right size for 2 soprano ukes with their gig bags.

–Lori

Personally, I love the ugly canvas and foam "semi-hard" cases for anything but flying. I hate lugging 25 pounds of cases to carry 3 pounds of ukes. :) However, to put this on topic, I do find that I have to fill the humidifiers about twice as often as I do in the "nice" cases. As for gig bags - I don't have any of my ukes in gig bags. Unless it's a nicely padded bag I would be a bit concerned about mold and finish damage (i.e. if you have plastic or rubberized cloth right against the uke exterior as happens with some of the less expensive bags).

John

Personally, I love the ugly canvas and foam "semi-hard" cases for anything but flying. I hate lugging 25 pounds of cases to carry 3 pounds of ukes. :) However, to put this on topic, I do find that I have to fill the humidifiers about twice as often as I do in the "nice" cases. As for gig bags - I don't have any of my ukes in gig bags. Unless it's a nicely padded bag I would be a bit concerned about mold and finish damage (i.e. if you have plastic or rubberized cloth right against the uke exterior as happens with some of the less expensive bags).

John

Hey John:

Beauty is in eye of beholder, and I can grow to love the canvas hard bags when I consider how inexpensive they are next to the true fancy cases. :)

Thanks for starting the thread on this subject. I've been wondering about it myself.

Petey

Hi Uke Friends:So, all of my sopranos are in hardcases with Hercos, and because of my climate that's worked out just fine.

In the land of 25% RH mine go into (clear, I don't want anybody throwing them out) garbage bags with a good-sized damp sponge in an open lunch bag along with a cheapie gauge, even the laminate. It's the only way to keep the frets from sticking out.

I use a sponge because a Herco doesn't store anywhere enough moisture. I'm not that impressed with the Damp-Its, even the largest one gives up only a little moisture.

I've tried the plastic lidded TupperWare type boxes from the discount store, the lid doesn't seal well at all. Haven't had any luck with the one hard case I have. With the UkeCrazy case I always put the uke in a garbage bag in the summertime in case I get caught in the rain, that thing is porous.

When the chair joints loosen up it's time for serious action.

Top Bottom