New uke day: Ono curly maple & spruce

whepper

Reaction score
Hi UU'ers!

Today I received a new ukulele! :D It's the Ono Ukulele #10, curly big leaf maple with a European spruce top. It's build by David (saltytri on this forum) from Oregon and it's just awesome in looks and it sounds mesmerising.

This uke is the twin of the curly mango concert that Jon (eugene ukulele) is playing & raving about.

It is a concert size - the neck is right between the length of a concert & tenor; but it still plays & feels like a concert. It has a cocobolo fretboard & bridge, mahogany binding and a ebony (i think), mahogany and cocobolo rosette and inlay on the headstock. The tuners are pegheds.

The build is flawless. The bindings are perfectly fitted and the bracing inside the ukulele looks very clean. It has a tru-oil finish which really shines. My Wixom tenor for example has small finishing flaws; this one has none.

The sounds? Mesmerising. It's a little bright, but full sounding uke with well balanced mids & some lows. It's currently strung with Martin M600s which works out really well. It is by far the best sounding uke I ever played (but I've never played high end ukes). Oh yeah: it's loud!

It has lots of mellow echo like sustain & resonates well. All strings sound real clear. I have never played a uke on which the C string sounds so sweet & full. On other ukes this string is much more muted.

I can only say that David is a great builder and I'm really really happy with this uke and it's gonna be played a lot.

I will post some sound samples soon.

Click here for a link to the original build thread of this uke, with also some higher quality pics.

I'm really spoiled this year, because a Covered Bridge concert is also being build for me at this moment (a redwood / claro walnut). That uke will be a great companion to this one.

Photo-15-02-13-19.11.47-12-small.jpgPhoto-15-02-13-19.11.47-7-small.jpgPhoto-15-02-13-19.11.47-10-small.jpgPhoto-15-02-13-19.11.47-4-small.jpg

It's a beauty, glad it found a good home. I enjoyed watching it being built and look forward to, hopefully, hearing it in a vid.

Have many great moments together.

congrats whepper. gorgeous instrument. looking forward to watching your videos with her.

Thanks everyone!

What amazes me most is that you can actually feel the neck vibrate, when playing this beauty. I've never experienced that with any of my other ukuleles before.

Beautiful - thats looks more like flamed maple than curly (I'm not that keen on curly :/), really nice to look at.

I'll put these pics on my blog in the near future. :)

Top Bottom