How does Pono mark seconds/ blems?

You will find a "2" stamped inside the body on the back strip (if it has one) and on the label. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words...ponosecond.jpg

John

That sure answers that question. Thanks.

I hope you didn't get "suckered" into a second by an unscrupulous seller - but if you did it could be much worse. Pono's QA is pretty tight. It took me the better part of a day to figure out why my Pono MBD is a second and it has absolutely no effect on sound or playability (the bridge appears to be about 1mm off center because the D string is very slightly closer to the edge of the fretboard than is the E string).

I've been waiting for John K to offer up some ABD ukes so I can get one of those at a great price, too!

John

the bridge appears to be about 1mm off center because the D string is very slightly closer to the edge of the fretboard than is the E string).
!

John

It may not necessarily be a second for that reason. I always set the 4th string back from the edge a little more than the 1st string since that string will get played more and will more likely be used in bending notes. It helps to eliminate the gutter-ball effect. The benefit is most obvious in a linear tuning where the 4th string is much lighter in gauge than the 1st string.

It may not necessarily be a second for that reason. I always set the 4th string back from the edge a little more than the 1st string since that string will get played more and will more likely be used in bending notes. It helps to eliminate the gutter-ball effect. The benefit is most obvious in a linear tuning where the 4th string is much lighter in gauge than the 1st string.

that makes sense. Never thought about that. I guess that is what happens when an expert builds your uke. They think. The change. I love this.

Well...in that case I honestly can't figure out what made this thing a second. Great action, great sound, no finish blems that I can find. Like I said, I'm waiting for John K to put some blem ABD ukes on the old eBay! :)

John

Top Bottom