Once you go custom...

drubin

Reaction score
So I'm about to pull the trigger on another custom order and I just wanted to pass along some advice for the many folks out there who've maybe contemplated ordering a custom but wondered if it might be too much money. My advice, save your pennies, order the custom. There are enough makers out there, if you do your research, who don't charge top of the line prices but whose ukes are still top of the line. Find 'em, and put in your orders!:music::love::rofl:

What are you gettin on this round?

Yeah, they can be addicting and there's indeed a very tangible difference compared to a production instrument. I have 3 custom level ukes right now and they are definitely head and shoulders superior to any production ukes I've played. Choosing your options and designing it is a lot of fun too. On the two customs I have built to order, I tried to add in some unique touches and it is so much fun to see it become reality.

So Drubin, could it be a King that you are about to order?

hmmm

I've been looking for a production ukulele that fits what I want, but I don't believe it exists, so I'm thinking of going custom. The only thing is, to get what I want, I've been told it's likely to cost around $2000-3000!!!! Gah!
I'm looking for a slotted headstock tenor built of solid koa with a cutout and active pickup. Are there custom builders who'll do it for less than the above?

The only guy that ever built a uke for me is Mike Pereira from MP ukulele and I can highly recommend him. He's very nice, fast and cheap to boot. I think you couldn't spend 2-3k if you tried with Mike. Even if you want an all koa with inlays, pickup and everything I don't think it will cost you more than $1,5k tops. I ordered my second custom from Mike and I am sure I won't regret it. What are you getting drubin?

When I'm good enough to justify having a custom instrument made, I'll probably end up giving Chuck Moore a call...

I feel fortunate to have been able to make my first ukulele a custom. When I started searching over two years ago, my budget was around $800.00USD. I wound up with a $2,000.00USD ukulele so I assume there is no going back.

Here is a link to the pics of my Poe Custom Tenor.

I will still have the Ko'alou 100 Tenor Koa in time. The one I have my eye on, and have now for over six months, has some nice curly koa, and I need a koa uke.

I've been looking for a production ukulele that fits what I want, but I don't believe it exists, so I'm thinking of going custom. The only thing is, to get what I want, I've been told it's likely to cost around $2000-3000!!!! Gah!
I'm looking for a slotted headstock tenor built of solid koa with a cutout and active pickup. Are there custom builders who'll do it for less than the above?

$2k-3k sounds about right for what you're looking for from most of the custom builders out there. An MP custom does cost a lot less than that but I'm not sure if he offers an active pickup (I had inquired about Mi-Si acoustic trio at one time and he doesn't offer that option yet) or cutaway (I have not seen one). If you can do with a passive pickup and no cutaway, MP should be a great option for you.

Top Bottom