"Mighty Uke"

justinlcecil

Reaction score
So I was flipping through the channels at 1:30 AM and to my astonishment a documentary had just started about the ukulele. Well worth staying up until 3 AM to finish it. The documentary was called "Mighty Uke." Has anyone else seen this terrific documentary or do i create it in my half awake mind? :cool:

So I was flipping through the channels at 1:30 AM and to my astonishment a documentary had just started about the ukulele. Well worth staying up until 3 AM to finish it. The documentary was called "Mighty Uke." Has anyone else seen this terrific documentary or do i create it in my half awake mind? :cool:
I have the DVD ordered it online. Phil

Are you the gentleman on the bench?

I ordered this from Amazon and received it about two weeks ago. Almost started a thread here too, thinking it odd to have heard no mention. There are a lot of notables in it including our Mr Keim, Lil' Rev, the ubiquitous Mr. Shimabukuro and the amazing Mr. Hill.

Barefootgypsy it's a look at the history of the ukulele with an emphasis on the current freight train of a reemergence. It jumps around the globe giving a look at how the instrument is grabbing imaginations nearly everywhere. Pretty good! The cd also offers 10 shorts.

(edited to add: Here's the trailer and a few associated clips http://mightyukemovie.com/files/pages/trailerpage.html )

I can confirm it is real...I am in it.

Last edited:

I ordered this from Amazon and received it about two weeks ago. Almost started a thread here too, thinking it odd to have heard no mention. There are a lot of notables in it including our Mr Keim, Lil' Rev, the ubiquitous Mr. Shimabukuro and the amazing Mr. Hill.

Barefootgypsy it's a look at the history of the ukulele with an emphasis on the current freight train of a reemergence. It jumps around the globe giving a look at how the instrument is grabbing imaginations nearly everywhere. Pretty good! The cd also offers 10 shorts.

(edited to add: Here's the trailer and a few associated clips http://mightyukemovie.com/files/pages/trailerpage.html )
Thanks for that, TG&Y, I'll look out for that! Perhaps if anyone in the UK has seen it, they could post which channel it was on? Very interesting!

Love that movie!! Especially in a theatre with surround sound! Everyone should see it, Langley, the town in Canada that James came from, really shows what all public schools could be doing with ukulele. They certainly gave us an inspector with Mr. James Hill. Even Hawaii doesn't provide this. unreal
Oh, I am sure it's been talked about here, but it goes back a few years.

Not the guy on the bench. If you watch the Trailer I am the guy counting in the UK ukulele club "1,2,3,4..." and playing the National, it is my club TUSC (Some of you may use our songbooks) I am then the bearded limey interviewed saying "There is a ukulele revolution going on". In the film I was interviewed about my ukulele club and teaching children the ukulele (I was teaching it as part of their school music curriculum, check my website, I wrote some books on how to do it).

Gypsy...The documentary aired on Sky Arts in the UK a couple of weeks ago.

Great movie. I met Tony and Margaret, the producers of the movie, in Lansing , Michigan last May at the uke festival, Mighty Uke Day II. It's a must see for every ukulele enthusiast. Tony and Margaret also have a website where you can purchase the dvd and even enter contest for a Kala "Mighty Uke" ukulele. Very cool .
edstrummer.

I bought it a while back on iTunes, and watch on my iPad from time to time. Great movie.

Funny that this would come up today as I just saw the trailer for the first time. Went ahead and used an Amazon gift card to order it. :)

Top Bottom