GREAT marketing for music store with a modest uke dept.

GinnyT11

Reaction score
High Strung Violins and Guitars in Durham NC is not a name that would make you think immediately of ukuleles. But they've worked to develop a selection of them, and they host ukes jams twice a month. They also host uke workshops, like Jim d'Ville.

HMS' instrumental videos help a lot with high-end purchase decisions. Check this out, though, for a different kind of marketing: the ukes are Fleas, Kalas and Ponos, with a few Ks, but man, oh man, if I buy a uke there, will I be able to sing like Lila (Lee-la) on their website video? I love this!

Awesome voice sold separately.

Is it possible her singing superpower is related to her ability to vaporize and then reconsititute in a different location with a different uke?

well, she is amazing. but there is no marketing. no title or link website or description. Along with that, this video is not a store educating customers because it's one uke prerecorded, so hearing a Kanilea played next to a $50 mahalo-type thing and sound exactly the same...trippy looking to me, be interesting to actually hear how different brands/sizes accompany. But I would never criticize the video, it's great, she's...wow, but still...marketing...? But thanks for posting nice music:cheers:

Right you are, Andrew, about this distinction of marketing. The video doesn't market ukes, per se, but only presents the fun of playing a uke and singing, and I should have described it as a promo for the fun of uking.
HMS' videos are actual marketing—very thorough in description and with great sound samples. It gives the potential buyer confidence in buying an expensive uke from a distance (like us, with our HMS Riggio purchased exactly that way).

High Strung primarily sells violins and guitars, and because they host uke jams for beginners, they're very helpful in promoting uking in general. When newbies and intermediates are at this store they can try a variety of ukes, which is a good step in wanting something better. The singing video might incline people come in to test what a uke feels like to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom