PDA

View Full Version : wHATS UP WITH ELDERLY INSTURMENTS ???

ancient
02-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Has anyone had any trouble with orders from Elderly Instruments?
I have two orders that were filled incorrectly (wrong item). And one order that went to someone in another state. They were kind enough to contact me about it.

Chris Tarman
02-16-2013, 12:12 PM
I've bought 2 instruments from Elderly over the years (my '77 Fender Jazz Bass and my Style 2 Martin uke), as well as strings, books, dvds, etc. I've never had anything but great service from them.

David Newton
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Be kind to the Elderly, they do a great job.
Now that International Violin sent me some stuff I didn't order, and gave me some free stuff, all in the same order!

ancient
02-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I have had no problem until about 8 months ago. I ordered two uke cases and got one uke case and a bongo or congo stand. Then ordered some strings and they sent the wrong ones. I just ordered a uke case this week and they sent it to someone in another state. The guy opened the box,found my phone number on the invoice and called me. He is waiting on some bridge pins that he ordered from them. Wonder where they went??

Doc_J
02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I have two orders that were filled incorrectly (wrong item). And one order that went to someone in another state. They were kind enough to contact me about it.

Every once in while they make a mistake on an order of mine. (I'm not perfect, don't expect they are either.)

Email them with an order problem and in about a day it is resolved.

dkcrown
02-16-2013, 01:15 PM
I've never had a problem with Elderly, but have not bought a ton of stuff from them. I Recently bought an Ameritage case from them. On time,as promised.

OldePhart
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I've heard several similar complaints coming from a few guitar friends over the last year or so - however, in each case they said Elderly was pretty quick to fix the problem after an email. Probably a bit of growing pains...it can happen to any business. (Oh, and in case you're feeling superior, check out the capitalization of your thread title... LOL)

John

ancient
02-16-2013, 01:46 PM
John,
Sounds like you are the one feeling superior.

OldePhart
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
John,
Sounds like you are the one feeling superior.

Not at all, that was meant to be a joke. Sorry if it offended you.

John

bearbike137
02-16-2013, 02:15 PM
My experiences with Elderly have been hit and miss over the years. Most of the time, things went okay, but I fondly recall having a guitar shipped to me and the extent of their "packing" was just sticking the guitar (in its case) in the box. No padding, nothing securing the guitar. The guitar just bounced around loose in the box. I couldn't believe it. Fortunately, the guitar survived the trip.

coolkayaker1
02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
I ordered ten sets of various string sets two months ago. Three full sets were missing in the order box! Elderly shipped them out one phone call and one day later.

Hey never made a mistake on at least half a dozen orders for me before that.

LifesShort
02-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I received an order from them yesterday and anther today. Both were exactly what I ordered and well packed. One package was a new uke and I couldn't have asked for it to be packed any better. They even put new strings on it before it shipped. I couldn't be happier. :D

ancient
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
I have ordered from Elderly for years with no problems. Like I said just in the last few months things have been a little crazy on the orders. I am sure they will track down the problem soon.

shermdog
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
I purchased two sets of Worth Clears last month, but received Worth Browns instead. They let me keep the Worth Browns, and I received the correct strings 48 hours after notifying them of the mistake. I've also purchased a case humidifier from Elderly with no problems with my order. Everyone makes mistakes now and then, kudos to Elderly for owning the mistake and making it right (in my case, anyway).

coolkayaker1
02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Based on this thread, sounds like ancient may be right. Something needs tweaking at Elderly.

PatriciaPDX
02-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I ordered my aNueNue from them in late December and received it, packed very well, actually earlier than anticipated, and the setup was perfect. So although that's only one order, all was just fine.

Pondoro
02-16-2013, 03:19 PM
My eight or ten orders from them have been perfect. I bought a tuner once, did not like it, and they took it back and issued a credit. But that was not really their fault. It wasn't defective I just hated it (it only tuned the 4 uke notes (gCEA), no other notes.

clayton56
02-16-2013, 05:37 PM
never a problem and personal attention very good - free hard case with a uke that doesn't come with one, for example. When I wanted a case for my Loprinzi they test-fitted their own uke of the same model to check the fit.

Jnobianchi
02-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Elderly is the best of the best. Never a problem with them, and one time when something was what I ordered, but I wasn't thrilled with it, they took it back for a refund. I can't say enough good about them. If you're having trouble, call 'em up. They'll take care of it.

UKEonomics
02-16-2013, 07:04 PM
I've ordered a couple times from Elderly in the past 6 months or so. Both times the order was correct and shipping was quick. Everyone makes mistakes. In my book, it's how you deal with the mistakes that you've made that really matters. Sounds like everyone has positive things to say about how Elderly is dealing with them. Three incidents in a short period of time is pretty strange though. Maybe just bad luck?

mm stan
02-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Elderly Music is my go to for strings and all....last week my friend bought a vintage mint martin I told him about...it looks and sounds awesome...
I have never had a problem with them and they are so pleasant to do business with and they have a fast delivery too...I recommend them always.

Deek
02-17-2013, 04:52 AM
I've been an Elderly Instruments Customer for 35 years (since they were in a basement shop in downtown East Lansing). I've had nothing but great, prompt service- in person an through the internet.

HeWhoTalksLoudSayinNothin
02-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Well I just ordered some small stuff (strings, humidifier) to be sent over to Europe, and like last time (over a year ago though) no problems with Elderly.

Paul December
02-17-2013, 07:52 AM
I ordered a uke from them and it wasn't setup...
...and even worse it had scratches & the sound hole had splinters coming off of it.

Mistakes happen and they were great with the return. Because of how they handled it, I'd give them another try in the future.

pdxuke
02-17-2013, 07:59 AM
.last week my friend bought a vintage mint martin I told him about...it looks and sounds awesome...

Must have been one of those Martin Barrys I was looking at--both went in the same weekend! :-)

mm stan
02-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Must have been one of those Martin Barrys I was looking at--both went in the same weekend! :-)

Yes yes my friend bought first, so he had choice.. woo hoo he showed it to Gordon Mark his uke teacher...and he said it was amazing in sound and looks..

pdxuke
02-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes yes my friend bought first, so he had choice.. woo hoo he showed it to Gordon Mark his uke teacher...and he said it was amazing in sound and looks..

Serves me right for dragging my heels! Still--I'm glad it went to your friend, and somewhere there is another Martin barry for me!

HBolte
02-17-2013, 08:23 AM
eLDERLY IS AWESOME! :D

mm stan
02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Serves me right for dragging my heels! Still--I'm glad it went to your friend, and somewhere there is another Martin barry for me!

yes thank you....he said he was willing to pay the premimum price because the uke and case were in so good condition...I am really jealous....he he

dhoenisch
02-18-2013, 02:40 AM
I've been ordering from Elderly for years. At a minimum, I place an order at least once every other month, but lately, it's been every two to four weeks. In all the many, many orders from them, only once did they make a mistake. I ordered four violin fine tuners, and they sent me four dozen. I called and sent the rest back to them. I wasn't going to keep them because I paid for four of them, and they've always done right by me.

Dan

Bill Mc
02-18-2013, 05:19 AM

We are all imperfect and make mistakes despite our best efforts. If Elderly makes a mistake rest assured they will correct it. Nothing is "UP" with Elderly instruments.

PeteyHoudini
02-18-2013, 05:36 AM
I've ordered Worth strings from Elderly and they seem to come from Sweden! What's up with that?

Haven't had any problems with them with orders or returning an order. Also, one of Elderly's staff in the order department has been wonderfully nice with me and advised me on a matter about a uke and he was totally right. I'm glad I followed his advice. 8-)

Petey

ancient
02-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Talked to Elderly this morning and I think things will be worked out for me . They are picking up the case that I ordered,that got sent to Georgia, and sending it direct to me by Fedex. I may see it by Thursday.
Elderly had a store meeting this morning about shipping. I was told one person has been fired (recently) before my orders got messed up. They are in the process of training a new person. I was also told that Elderly is dealing with old equipment in the shipping department that can't keep up with orders. Hope they get things worked out.

5150ukulele
02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Elderly Instruments has served even the most desriminatiing of professional musicians for many years now and have of course made a few errors . All in all, they are one of few who can be acclaimed as cream of the crop, top notch and beyond decent, honest and integral in their dealings . Then again, some just seem to be a magnet to poor service, lack of concern, and excess abuse . Must be a thing !But and if one is looking to blashpeme each and every retailer over time , over time that individual may just well be painting a target on oneself for lackluster of service . JUST SAYIN' !

But on second thought , maybe a simple phone call to Elderly Instruments asking them , " wHATS UP WITH ELDERLY INSTRUMENTS " ? ..... might be sound advice .........

guitarsnrotts
02-19-2013, 04:03 AM
Have been dealing with Elderly since the mid-70s without issue. Their customer service is very responsive. They are my goto online music retailer.

river_driver
02-19-2013, 04:07 AM
Add me to the ranks of folks who have never had any problems with Elderly. Had issues with a bunch of other online retailers, been screwed by a couple, but never Elderly.

Jane
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I've bought three ukes from Elderly, several sets of strings, books, tuners & cases. Never any problems & always had fast delivery. A delighted customer!

ukemunga
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
I like Elderly. Have had great service but I've not ordered anything recently. They seem to be doing a lot of online and email advertising. I suspect simple growing pains in that regard.