PDA

View Full Version : Season 53 of the Ukulele - Second Chance to Bring Home the Bacon!

Pages : [1] 2

OldePhart
02-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Season 53 of the Ukulele – Second Chance to Bring Home the Bacon

I have created a playlist and bonus list so far for this week, P.M. me to Let me know If I have missed you in the lists

Season 53 (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjzSLBBksrssdS-8-yfApauZ)
Bonus Songs (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjxLHQZ2D4h9JSQjhFsQF1Ic)

Thank you Drew!

Wherein we look back over the past year and say, “wow!” The “six seasons” challenge that Christian conceived has really gone places!

So, here's the idea – pick any season from one through fifty-two, that you did not enter, and create an entry using the theme and all the rules from that season except as (possibly) amended below:

1) The video must be a new video created for this season (season 53) and you must state that in the video (beginning, middle, end, I don't care where) along with mention of the season's theme you are using. So, for example, something like “this is for season 53 of the ukulele, my second chance to bring home the bacon for season nine.”
2) Only one official entry, please. Your first submission will be considered your entry unless you explicitly say that it's a bonus track. You can submit any number of bonus tracks but please make it clear that they are bonus tracks so we don't get them mixed into the official list and confuse the judges.
3) The prize(s) will be the prize(s) for this season, not for the original season.
4) The entry cutoff date is midnight Sunday night (February 24th) Hawaii time.
5) I don't think that we have anyone who has entered every season from one through fifty-two but if anyone has achieved that then the reward for their diligence is that they get to choose from any season without restriction.
6) Judging and prizes will be handled as described below.

A few notes...
1) Unless you had an official entry in every season, you can only choose a season where you did not have an official entry (if you had only bonus tracks for that season that's okay).
2) Except as noted above, all rules from the original season apply. So, if the season you choose happened to be one of those rare seasons where multi-tracking was allowed then feel free to multi-track, otherwise, no multi-tracking, dubbing, splicing, etc.
3) Note that many of the early seasons were thin on explicit rules, they pretty much assumed that the rules Christian set for the original “six seasons” would be followed. That convention should be followed here, as well. If you are using a season that didn't say much about rules then assume that the original rules apply.

Judging:
Y'all are going to judge this season. The way we will do this is simple, if you submit an entry, you're also a judge! After the cutoff for entries passes I'll wait up to two weeks for entrants to PM me their top three choices (in no particular order, I won't torture you by asking you to rank the top three). I'll tally them up and announce the winner(s) after the two weeks or as soon as all entrants get their picks to me, whichever comes first.

If you vote for yourself I'll assume that you are very humble and feel that your entry was so terrible that you think one point should be subtracted from your tally.

There will also be one “lucky dog” award wherein I pull a name from a hat (“Hey, Rocky...”)

Anyone who fails to PM me their top three choices within the two-week judging window will not be eligible to win anything. I won't remove their entry from the season entry list or anything drastic like that, they just won't be considered when I tally up the votes. (I'll PM anyone who hasn't gotten their results to me a couple of days before the window closes, just to make sure we don't have any incidents if the forum hiccups or something.)

I will break ties by dropping a puppy and a kitten off of a tall building and seeing which one bounces the highest off of the baby seal below... Oh...all right...be that way then, I'll do something boring like flipping a coin!

Prize(s):
There will be at least one prize...er...memento plus the one for the “lucky dog.” There may be more. It depends on what I come up with in my hunt for prizes suitable for the contest theme. I have a couple of ideas already. I can promise they won't be anything particularly valuable, but will be fun, appropriate, and easy to ship internationally should that be necessary (darn, that eliminates an ukulele made of bacon strips). I'll update the thread as I acquire “prizes.”

Update:
Okay, I was hoping to have pictures of the prizes by now but they aren't finished yet - the bits and pieces have been ordered, though. First place is a plush pig holding an ukulele (pig is on order and I'm having to make the ukulele). Second place is a baconesque ukulele - again, something I'm making. And third place is a bacon fan sticker. The lucky dog prize is on order but I'm going to keep that one secret until the great reveal.

Sorry to have been such a bad host - work is really interfering with life right now. I am now off to begin reviewing videos

austin1
02-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I can't tell you how many seasons have come and gone that I WISHED I could enter but didn't have the time. If I miss this week, I will punch myself in the face, because you have given us the option to go back in time! What a brilliant way to start off the new year!

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2013, 02:46 PM
This is great John! I was hoping for a chance to get to some wonderful seasons I missed. Looks like I picked a bad week to rip off half a fingernail.

J-Peg
02-16-2013, 03:06 PM
mmm... bacon...

GinnyT11
02-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Oh J-Peg, please come back! And don't forget to vote in the Seasons Extravaganza!

chrimess
02-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Super duper, John, which season does the Back to the Future theme fit into?
I was afraid you'd make us do Happy Birthday or Auld Lang Syne.

BTW: Do they really believe in 2nd chances down in TX?

myrnaukelele
02-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Great minds think alike! The 10th Season (Shakespeare/Earth week) is one of the two Seasons I missed. So this afternoon I recorded a song for the 10th Season. I was going to ask mattydee to post it as a bonus for that week (even though we didn't really start posting bonuses until the 17th or 18th Season). I'll post it as a bonus here instead since I recorded it before this thread was posted and thus it does not say Season 53.

http://youtu.be/nNt1QNdYJ0U
And I do think there are a couple Seasonistas who did not miss a single Season (OnlyUkeThatMatters and sillydave? anybody else?)

J-Peg
02-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh J-Peg, please come back! And don't forget to vote in the Seasons Extravaganza!

I've been trying to, but something comes up every week. Last week work literally blew up on me. I tried to spin up a flywheel UPS and it sounded like someone fired a .22 pistol inside the cabinet. Getting that machine back on line got me a 60 hour work week.
However, I never stopped working on the song I was planning to do for Week 47, so I won't need a lot of practice. So I'm hopeful for this week.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Woohoo! Terrific idea, John!

I made a for video every Season except #33. As the (wildly busy) host (that week), I didn't (get a chance to) record a video. One more "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" coming right up.

Raygf
02-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Where might one find a list of the Seasons? I missed plenty and actually worked up tunes for a few I never recorded and have tomorrow and Monday to get it done.

Joko
02-16-2013, 04:43 PM
This is AWESOME! I only found this community in week 32, so there's more than half a year of themes I could choose from!

Where to start? Any suggestions y'all might have knowing my (limited) talents and preferences? Any requests?

GinnyT11
02-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Where might one find a list of the Seasons? I missed plenty and actually worked up tunes for a few I never recorded and have tomorrow and Monday to get it done.

You'll find the entire lists on the two stickies at the top of the Seasons of the Ukulele subforum under Contests.

GinnyT11
02-16-2013, 04:45 PM
This is AWESOME! I only found this community in week 32, so there's more than half a year of themes I could choose from!

Where to start? Any suggestions y'all might have knowing my (limited) talents and preferences? Any requests?

How about "Sympathy for the Devil" for Heaven and Hell week? :)

TCK
02-16-2013, 04:52 PM
I have missed more than one, but only one in which I worked on the song day and night. I played it a billion times and never got it right...
So it sat.
I think most would agree that it was best that it faded away into obscurity as we trudged on...but I was happy to see I could try it again.
I did- I played it fifteen times, and finally decided that winning was the least of my worries.
My nod to Season 43, Charlie Poole and MCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw8kEQKstcs&feature=youtu.be
At least laugh- it will make me feel better.

Raygf
02-16-2013, 05:10 PM
You'll find the entire lists on the two stickies at the top of the Seasons of the Ukulele subforum under Contests.

Thank you very much!

PatriciaPDX
02-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Well, since I didn't start participating in the Seasons until late November, I feel like a kid in a candy store with LOTS to choose from! This is going to be fun, thanks for the great theme! :D

pabrizzer
02-16-2013, 09:44 PM
My entry for Eugene's Woody Week Season seven -
oh hang on -
My entry to OldePhart's Second Chance to Bring Home the Bacon Season 53.
My Peace - words by Woody - melody by Arlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxUFOwvgl6c

austin1
02-16-2013, 11:31 PM
hey guys!

This is me totally hacking the thread to remind you all to vote in the seasons of the uke end of the year extravaganza. The thread is here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?76885-Seasons-End-of-the-Year-EXTRAVAGANZA!

All I need is a ballot with your favorites (yes, plural) in each category. And if you don't have favorites in each category, then just your favorites (yes, plural) in some categories. And if you're not in the mood to come back through 52 seasons and find your favorites, then just send me some identifying information, i.e., username, video title if you remember it, week theme if you remember it. We really need votes! People's Choice Video is currently a seven-way tie!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. Sorry anyone I irritated!

ukuleledaveey
02-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Great theme John :) ive only missed the first six weeks (the original seasons, although i was following the the comp from the beginning) so i am going to choose week 5, I have a few songs in mind :)
Looking froward to everyones songs this week :)

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Oh this is just great, thanks for this one - I had a really busy time approaching Christmas where I missed loads of weeks, and I only started about week 31 or something like that, so lots to choose from! it's a great idea, looking forward to everyone's entries, as ever, and to having a go! Woohoo!

xommen
02-17-2013, 04:02 AM
This is great now I can start easily with a U2 song as season 6 was about Irish Songs ;). This is one of my favorite ones called Stuck in a Moment, and remember this if you are Stuck in a moment: It's just a moment this time will pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZg-uQWDGMo

CountryMouse
02-17-2013, 05:09 AM
I'm going to do Season 16 (Pre-1950 folk music from the British Isles). In the original rules, well, ABOVE the rules, it said, "No Pub songs or Bawdy double speak, as my children will be helping to judge these videos". I hope this doesn't still apply, because technically my song does allude to a woman having a child out of wedlock. Is this going to be okay?

Please let me know!

CountryMouse

filipinouker
02-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Season 53 of the Ukulele – Second Chance to Bring Home the Bacon

So, here's the idea – pick any season from one through fifty-two, that you did not enter

What a great idea!!! There have been seasons I deliberately avoided (due to cowardly feelings of fear & trepidation :D ) and have regretted doing so. This season is a chance to really try & come out of our comfort zones... Hmmmmm.... perhaps I'll have a go at beating up my uke (austin1's percussion week)!

bbbannister
02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Cool, liking this seasons options. I bought my first Uke on summer hols in August, so loads of weeks to pick from.

Have also this afternoon bought my first Tenor with just 4 strings a zebra wood Lanikai via eBay, will be picking it up on route home tomorrow night... It will be featured this week for sure ;-)

EXCITED :-)

Now which week to select, hmmmm...

BB

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 07:37 AM
I'll be posting my first ever seasons entry soon, although I'm still a new ukulele player and I can't sing - I'm gonna try! :)
And it's gonna be filmed on my iPhone, hopefully the quality will be okay :/

GinnyT11
02-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Hi Liam! Here, give me your hand and I'll help you jump in. It's more fun than you think—and there's no downside at all!

What does Fsus7 mean to you?

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 08:07 AM
This is great now I can start easily with a U2 song as season 6 was about Irish Songs ;). This is one of my favorite ones called Stuck in a Moment, and remember this if you are Stuck in a moment: It's just a moment this time will pass.
Love the song - and you made a nice job of it! Good one..... and a great start to this week's Season! :)

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Great minds think alike! The 10th Season is the only one I missed (Shakespeare/Earth week). So this afternoon I recorded a song for the 10th Season. I was going to ask mattydee to post it as a bonus for that week (even though we didn't really start posting bonuses until the 17th or 18th Season). I'll post it as a bonus here instead since I recorded it before this thread was posted and thus it does not say Season 53.
And I do think there are a couple Seasonistas who did not miss a single Season (OnlyUkeThatMatters and sillydave? anybody else?)I love this take on that song! Beautifully delivered, Myrna - as ever!

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Any suggestions y'all might have knowing my (limited) talents and preferences? Any requests?

YES!! How about Hooligan by KISS for the 17th Season, All Creatures Great And Small? ("My mama, she said I was a black sheep"). Or Hotter Than Hell by KISS for Season 20, Heaven & Hell week. Or Coming Home by KISS for Season 23, Home Sweet Home week. Or See You In Your Dreams by KISS for Season 26, Dreams week. Or 100,000 Years by KISS for Season 29, Numbers week.

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 08:14 AM
I have missed more than one, but only one in which I worked on the song day and night. I played it a billion times and never got it right...
So it sat.
I think most would agree that it was best that it faded away into obscurity as we trudged on...but I was happy to see I could try it again.
I did- I played it fifteen times, and finally decided that winning was the least of my worries.
At least laugh- it will make me feel better.oh nice one! And that banjo-uke sounds just great!

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Hi Liam! Here, give me your hand and I'll help you jump in. It's more fun than you think—and there's no downside at all!

What does Fsus7 mean to you?

Hello :)
It's uploading to youtube now!! Nervous..
I don't want to post what season it's from, as I like for it to be a surprise when you watch it.. But don't worry, you'll know what season immediately!! :)

Fsus7 was my favourite chord when I signed up to UU..

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 08:19 AM
oh hang on -
Lovely song, lovely singing - and I love that strumming! Altogether - great.

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 08:20 AM
I don't want to post what season it's from, as I like for it to be a surprise when you watch it.. But don't worry, you'll know what season immediately!! :)

Fsus7 was my favourite chord when I signed up to UU..This is exciting! :D

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Okay, hopefully this link works..
http://m.youtube.com/user/liamplaystheuke?feature=guide#/watch?v=vuhTRA594fs&feature=plcp

Having never participated before I had all the weeks to choose from, and it was an easy decision.
I picked the week that I know I'd of been most excited about had I been around back then.
Now, I hope this video is okay - after all it was filmed on a phone!
I cannot sing, an unfortunately for you I do try to on this video. I also nervously step from side to side throughout the whole ordeal.
Without giving too much away - this band is treasured by many so I hope I don't offend anyone with this cover!! Apologies if I have..

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
If that link doesn't work here is one to my page http://www.youtube.com/user/liamplaystheuke

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 08:39 AM
If that link doesn't work here is one to my page http://www.youtube.com/user/liamplaystheukeOne of my all time favourites! Welcome to the madness, Liam! Well done! :D

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 08:49 AM
One of my all time favourites! Welcome to the madness, Liam! Well done! :D

Thanks alot :D

OldePhart
02-17-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm going to do Season 16 (Pre-1950 folk music from the British Isles). In the original rules, well, ABOVE the rules, it said, "No Pub songs or Bawdy double speak, as my children will be helping to judge these videos". I hope this doesn't still apply, because technically my song does allude to a woman having a child out of wedlock. Is this going to be okay?

Please let me know!

CountryMouse

I guess we can let that slide as long as you're not dropping f-bombs! :)

GinnyT11
02-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Having never participated before I had all the weeks to choose from, and it was an easy decision. I picked the week that I know I'd of been most excited about had I been around back then.
I cannot sing, an unfortunately for you I do try to on this video. I also nervously step from side to side throughout the whole ordeal..

Yay, Liam! Yes, your singing works. Yes, the video is okay. Yes, it's fine that you step back and forth. Yes, I really did enjoy the show!

You must do more for us, and the next time, we hope, will not be an "ordeal," but more of a try-out among friends. Keep that video—you'll enjoy looking back on it as you play through future weeks. And—now that you've posted, you can join the Seasonistas group under Community!

xommen
02-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Ok this is a bonus I prepared earlier for something called Concour de Uke (a monthly Seasons like event on our dutch forum) the topic of this month is that of season 24 guilty pleasures. This is my take on I was made for loving you by Kiss. Oh and yes the intro is in Dutch saying something about the Concour of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzMDxlPV-BM

ukuleledaveey
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Welcome aboard Liam here is your video on display mate, really enjoyed it played well and your singing is fine mate hope to see you in future weeks all the best from me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhTRA594fs

CountryMouse
02-17-2013, 09:47 AM
I guess we can let that slide as long as you're not dropping f-bombs! :)

No, they didn't do those back in the day. I will PM you my selection, just to be sure it's okay with you. It's well-known. :)

CountryMouse

OldePhart
02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Great minds think alike! The 10th Season is the only one I missed (Shakespeare/Earth week). So this afternoon I recorded a song for the 10th Season. I was going to ask mattydee to post it as a bonus for that week (even though we didn't really start posting bonuses until the 17th or 18th Season). I'll post it as a bonus here instead since I recorded it before this thread was posted and thus it does not say Season 53.
And I do think there are a couple Seasonistas who did not miss a single Season (OnlyUkeThatMatters and sillydave? anybody else?)

A great kickoff Myrna! Nice job on this one.

So it sat.

At least laugh- it will make me feel better.
BWAAAA-HAAAA-HAAAA - okay, not sure why that made you feel better but just following orders. Seriously, I thought it was a lot of fun - there are a lot of words in that song and not much time to spit them out, I'd probably step on my tongue if I tried it...

oh hang on -

Wow, loved that briz! Great picking and really superb vocals. I've heard you do everything from that tenor to Johnny Cash, now. Pretty wide range you've got there.

Great song...I don't think I've heard it before but I didn't listen to a lot of U2. Good job with it and I loved that strum.

Okay, hopefully this link works..
Having never participated before I had all the weeks to choose from, and it was an easy decision.
I picked the week that I know I'd of been most excited about had I been around back then.
I cannot sing, an unfortunately for you I do try to on this video. I also nervously step from side to side throughout the whole ordeal.
Without giving too much away - this band is treasured by many so I hope I don't offend anyone with this cover!! Apologies if I have..

Super job and welcome to the seasons. It's good to see that the younger generation appreciates good music! :) As for stepping from side to side...I still do that or rock in my chair (which squeaks when I do). When I play bass I swing the neck back and forth so none of the other band members want to stand too close to me... LOL

Everybody - this is a great start, keep 'em coming. Ukuloonie, are you going to do an entry play list or do you want me to?

Thanks everybody, I wasn't sure how well this theme would go over but it looks like I can relax on that score!

John

The Ukelites
02-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Oh, how clever you are, Oldephart! I guess everybody is absolutely happy with this season's theme.
We started with the 11th season, hosted by Oldephart! Of course we missed some seasons, especially during our holiday in the summer.

So we couldn't take part in the 27th season of DougF, the Latin season.
Although there is a lot of snow on the outside here in Munich, we decided to do something for the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtRwWVnI9Uw

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Ok this is a bonus I prepared earlier for something called Concour de Uke (a monthly Seasons like event on our dutch forum) the topic of this month is that of season 24 guilty pleasures. This is my take on I was made for loving you by Kiss. Oh and yes the intro is in Dutch saying something about the Concour of course.

Oh yeah!! Great mellow take on this classic song. Loved it!

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Yay, Liam! Yes, your singing works. Yes, the video is okay. Yes, it's fine that you step back and forth. Yes, I really did enjoy the show!

You must do more for us, and the next time, we hope, will not be an "ordeal," but more of a try-out among friends. Keep that video—you'll enjoy looking back on it as you play through future weeks. And—now that you've posted, you can join the Seasonistas group under Community!

Thanks alot, I'm sure I will join in with many future seasons now

Welcome aboard Liam here is your video on display mate, really enjoyed it played well and your singing is fine mate hope to see you in future weeks all the best from me :)

Cheers. There is no way to get the link on my iPhone as the app won't do it, and the web page just directs me back to app!
And thanks, fine is more than I can hope for! :D

Super job and welcome to the seasons. It's good to see that the younger generation appreciates good music! As for stepping from side to side...I still do that or rock in my chair (which squeaks when I do). When I play bass I swing the neck back and forth so none of the other band members want to stand too close to me... LOL

John

Thankyou :) and thankyou for the great theme!

..I think I've caught the bug. Thinking about posting a bonus song..! Haha

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 10:10 AM

Great take on a great song!!

ukuleledaveey
02-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi gang and many thanks John for hosting and happy year 2 , to all seasonistas new and old.
here is my official entry for this week, i have chosen week 5 which was Christians " alternative rock week" i have chosen one of the bands from the list that was provided. :)

http://youtu.be/d0c6Wf1GCAk

xommen
02-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Oh yeah!! Great mellow take on this classic song. Loved it!

Great take on a great song!!
Thanks guys.

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi gang and many thanks John for hosting and happy year 2 , to all seasonistas new and old.
here is my official entry for this week, i have chosen week 5 which was Christians " alternative rock week" i have chosen one of the bands from the list that was provided. :)

http://youtu.be/d0c6Wf1GCAk

Nice one! Love this song. It's kinda weird case I was thinking of doing Wonderwall for Metallica week, since they butchered it once..

alemarco
02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Such a great theme! Now which season to pick... the one where I practiced all week and chickened out... the one with my favorite theme... the one I feel guiltiest about skipping... too many choices!

A question: will bonuses be accepted this week?

xommen
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I reread the rules, and this is what they say about bonuses:

2) Only one official entry, please. Your first submission will be considered your entry unless you explicitly say that it's a bonus track. You can submit any number of bonus tracks but please make it clear that they are bonus tracks so we don't get them mixed into the official list and confuse the judges.

That's a definite yes in my book ;).

we tigers
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
finally we're able to take part in a season again; it has been too long! Busy at work, playing ubass in a small theatre production, took a lot of possible recording time away... But we're back!

We chose to go back to Peewee's Season 21. During his French week we were not yet taking part in the seasons and we were actually in France on a holiday. We recorded the lovely Boum! by Charles Trenet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlMWxZ5G6M

Thanks for watching!

pabrizzer
02-17-2013, 11:38 AM
finally we're able to take part in a season again; it has been too long! Busy at work, playing ubass in a small theatre production, took a lot of possible recording time away... But we're back!
Yeah! I've missed you guys and your terrific posts.
Every Season is better when you participate.

pabrizzer
02-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh, how clever you are, Oldephart! I guess everybody is absolutely happy with this season's theme.
We started with the 11th season, hosted by Oldephart! Of course we missed some seasons, especially during our holiday in the summer.

Although there is a lot of snow on the outside here in Munich, we decided to do something for the summer.

Classy, sophisticated, TERRIFIC!
All the things I have come to expect from you guys.

we tigers
02-17-2013, 11:54 AM
and while we're at it, consider this a bonus:
When TCK had his Guilty Pleasure week in Season 24, Seasons of the Ukulele was something we didn't know yet. When I saw that theme while looking back at earlier Seasons I wished we could've taken part.
Over at the Dutch forum www.ukeclub.nl we started something similar to the seasons, but monthly instead of weekly. We call it Concours de Uke and it's on a much smaller scale (so far in February we have five entries). I'm the host for February and decided to have Guilty Pleasure as a theme as well (hats of to The Cloverdale Kid for such a brilliant theme!). That way we were able to record a guilty pleasure ourselves.

The song we chose is the most horrendous song we could think of. A German disco track from 1975 that was a huge hit in the Netherlands back then and has become a gay anthem since then. Sorry to put you guys through this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXQw9XvS74

xommen
02-17-2013, 12:18 PM
This is one for the bonus list, this one fits season 8 at least for the title of the song, it's easter by Marillion. This is a rerecording, I did this song also for season 48.

http://youtu.be/Q6j-cRE0o9E

myrnaukelele
02-17-2013, 12:23 PM

We chose to go back to Peewee's Season 21. During his French week we were not yet taking part in the seasons and we were actually in France on a holiday. We recorded the lovely Boum! by Charles Trenet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlMWxZ5G6M

Thanks for watching!
Merveilleux - qui était superbe!
Moi aussi, j'etais en France pour le Saison 21. J'aime les chansons francais. Peut-être je vais chanter une autre chanson en francais cette semaine.:o

myrnaukelele
02-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Such a great theme! Now which season to pick... the one where I practiced all week and chickened out... the one with my favorite theme... the one I feel guiltiest about skipping... too many choices!

A question: will bonuses be accepted this week?

Pick all three lol! Yes- post as many bonuses as you like! I have a feeling we might have almost as many bonuses this Season as we did for Season 32. ;)

peewee
02-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks for watching!

C'est un tres grand honneur de revisiter la 21eme saison avec vous! Beautiful.

ukuLily Mars
02-17-2013, 12:57 PM

Fsus7 was my favourite chord when I signed up to UU..

Terrific, Liam! You did a great job. I hope your next video is less traumatic! :eek: Keep at it and it will get easier. At least that's what Ginny keeps telling me.

Loved this! You two are always so much fun.

Thanks for watching!
Ooh, I love Charles Trenet! This was wonderful, and it's perfect for the two of you.

GinnyT11
02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for watching!

Merveilleux! I have this song on a Charles Trenet CD. You gave it a special tiger-y zing!

uke4ia
02-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Hot puppies! I just figured out the chords to a song I've been wanting to learn for years. Now I just have to learn to play it. I did takes until my fingers cramped. I'll try again tomorrow.

Liamfsus7
02-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Hot puppies! I just figured out the chords to a song I've been wanting to learn for years. Now I just have to learn to play it. I did takes until my fingers cramped. I'll try again tomorrow.
I love it when that happens!!

Terrific, Liam! You did a great job. I hope your next video is less traumatic! :eek: Keep at it and it will get easier. At least that's what Ginny keeps telling me.
Thankyou so much!! :D

PatriciaPDX
02-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I decided to go with Season 6, "Oscar-Nominated Songs," since that's right up my alley. This song is from "The Perils of Pauline" in 1947.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJzrH8WuJ8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks again for the great theme for this season!

Jazzbanjorex
02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Hmmm, I invaded the seasons with the British Invasion Season so I have 31 Seasons to choose from. Not counting the two last seasons I missed. I'm very appreciative of the thread with all the seasons listed. What to do, what to do.....

peewee
02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Having missed Mash-Up week, I technically could include Alt Rock, Grammy and Oscar nominated, bad love, Obscure Elvis, Hawaiian, Irish, Album Classics, percussion and duets in one entry...
But until I figure out how to pull that off, here's an anti valentine classic from Magnetic Fields.
Great theme!
Sorry for the phone video, not up to my usual mediocre standard of quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSXlKJL7P4c

pabrizzer
02-17-2013, 07:33 PM
OK PeeWee's beaut cover of The Magnetic Fields song got me looking through that band's songs on youtube.
I know I like their stuff because The Book of Love is a beautiful little song.
I found When You're Old and Lonely which I have done as an Anti-Valentine for Season 2 bonus for Season 53. Just 2 chords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUnQS5bQCg4

pabrizzer
02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
And another bonus vid.
I actually recorded this one in response to seeing Jon's (eugene's) CRACKER cover of this song on YouTube before I started joining the seasons. (I hope you haven't lost that one Jon). He kindly accepted my video response and it was in the response thread to his video of (Grammy Nominated) Steve Earle's Sparkle and Shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko17DeQI7jw

Dougf
02-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Great idea, John. This one is for Myrna's season 19, "The River". I decided this song requires the splash sound effect, so I spliced in a little video snippet. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TPPzNnHdQY

frisbee fred
02-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Love the song, Doug. But I may need some therapy after watching the splash......

xommen
02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Another bonus, this would have been for season 7 Woodie week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigSup-YpXg

myrnaukelele
02-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Great idea, John. This one is for Myrna's season 19, "The River". I decided this song requires the splash sound effect, so I spliced in a little video snippet. :)

Yes! I love your style - I could almost taste the lime and watermelon. We have cold and snow here at the moment. This song makes me long for those hot sunny summer days...:cool:

Liamfsus7
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Working on a bonus video :)

ukuLily Mars
02-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Working on a bonus video :)

Hee. Didn't take you too long to get over the trauma of your first video! Good for you.

Joko
02-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Some great entries this week! My comments for the posts so far:

Myrna: I gotta ask. Do you love living in a snowy climate or is it more of an inconvenient hassle? Your tune was beautiful, but I kept looking at the white stuff behind you.

TCK: You did it! Congrats! Nothing to laugh at that I heard. Good job!

Pabrizzer: A very touching song. Again, I focus in on the backgrounds. Do the hats hanging next to each guitar have some particular significance to each instrument or is the hat-to-guitar arrangement random?

Xom: Flawless performance. Your videos are always so technically perfect.

Ukelites: In my 20 weeks here at the Seasons, there's no Seasonista whose video I look forward to watching and hearing more than yours. Once again, you do not disappoint.

Daveey: Very well done! And as we're at a year-end retrospect kinda thingy, I gotta ask, what's the story behind the aluminum foil background? What is that stuff? Insulation?

WeTigers: I feel so French after watching your ukulele rendition, I need a shower but don't feel compelled to take one.

Patricia: Absolutely bootiful!

Peewee: Fine. I don't love you anymore either.

Doug: Man, I love your sound! Retro-ukulele-hip!

UkeyDave
02-19-2013, 04:56 AM
Here is my entry. A quick one take effort. I hope your ears don't bleed too badly :D

http://youtu.be/RjAnbqyho8Y

Liamfsus7
02-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Hee. Didn't take you too long to get over the trauma of your first video! Good for you.

Haha I know xP
I did Guilty Pleasures week! Pretty guilt invoking it is too..

I decided to go with Season 6, "Oscar-Nominated Songs," since that's right up my alley. This song is from "The Perils of Pauline" in 1947.

Thanks again for the great theme for this season!

Wow, Id never heard that song before, it was really nice :)

--

UkeyDave! Wow, I really enjoyed it! Great song, and I like your voice

Liamfsus7
02-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Okay here is my bonus video, from the "guilty pleasures" week. Featuring a cameo from my Mums dog, Bob :3
Again quality and singing isn't great.
And if you're outside of UK you might not know who the guilty pleasure is, but watch anyway :)
This song was number one here for about a month a few years back I think, and won the BRIT award that year for best British single - but its still a guilty pleasure of mine, haha.

http://youtu.be/MbjWxMEJksg

Very eager for feedback and criticism!

strumsilly
02-19-2013, 07:55 AM
It appears I missed the Latin Connection, week 27, so here's a Mexican folk song.Pardon my Spanish.
http://youtu.be/VDWXd5T7dpc

CountryMouse
02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
My entry is for the 16th Season of the Ukulele (pre-1950 folk music from the British Isles). This song is from the Orkney Islands (north of Scotland) and is Child Ballad #113.

I rushed through the explanation at the beginning because the battery was dying on my camera! LOL!

http://youtu.be/6fHxJz61xB4

CountryMouse

elmann
02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Lots of seasons I missed, lots of chances for crrrrrrispy bacon.
I decided to sing "Au dessus des nuages/above the clouds" from a singer-songwriter, born and grown up in Berlin, bilingual exams at a french highschool in Berlin, wellknown in the 70s in .de/.fr as Reinhard/Frederic Mey. His song from 1974 was covered and more then once in the charts. Now uked, translation below YT vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-klKYHSUY

Liamfsus7
02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
My entry is for the 16th Season of the Ukulele (pre-1950 folk music from the British Isles). This song is from the Orkney Islands (north of Scotland) and is Child Ballad #113.

I rushed through the explanation at the beginning because the battery was dying on my camera! LOL!

CountryMouse

Lots of seasons I missed, lots of chances for crrrrrrispy bacon.
I decided to sing "Au dessus des nuages/above the clouds" from a singer-songwriter, born and grown up in Berlin, bilingual exams at a french highschool in Berlin, wellknown in the 70s in .de/.fr as Reinhard/Frederic Mey. His song from 1974 was covered and more then once in the charts. Now uked, translation below YT vid:

Again, both songs I'd never heard before, but I enjoyed them both alot! :)

GinnyT11
02-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Again, both songs I'd never heard before, but I enjoyed them both alot! :)

Liam, the Seasons attraction magnets are operating at full force on you. :)
The more you watch through the weeks, the more you learn about uking and the more you get to know people. It's like floating poker game, except with music and less risk of loss.

Pueo
02-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Ooooh this is going to be a challenge! Great idea John!
There are many seasons I almost entered, so choosing one is going to be difficult!
I was recently killing myself because I have most of Enter Sandman from last week but could not get a video done in time to enter.
Decisions, decisions!

ukuleledaveey
02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
just discovered that the song i recorded for this week was released 17 years ago today :)

Liamfsus7
02-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Liam, the Seasons attraction magnets are operating at full force on you. :)
The more you watch through the weeks, the more you learn about uking and the more you get to know people. It's like floating poker game, except with music and less risk of loss.
They really are :) I'm really enjoying it

just discovered that the song i recorded for this week was released 17 years ago today :)
I did post how much I enjoyed your video but I didn't quote you so you might've missed it :) it's really good!

Liamfsus7
02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
They really are :) I'm really enjoying it

I did post how much I enjoyed your video but I didn't quote you so you might've missed it :) it's really good!

Haha oops that was ukeydave(?)!!
But I did also like yours, oasis right?

ukuleledaveey
02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Haha oops that was ukeydave(?)!!
But I did also like yours, oasis right?

Many thanks for your kind words Liam, i tend to leave feedback on youtube these days to de clutter the thread and i tend to do it at the weekends :), many thanks for your kind words, i was just noodling around on the net and saw "dont look back in anger was released today 17 years ago, i had hair and a smaller waist line then :)
Good to have you on board and glad your havin fun ,thats what it is all about fun and friendships :) all the best from me :)

uke4ia
02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtifWsFuuM

I took part in 35 of the first 52 Seasons. One of the ones I missed was Season 23 (Home), because I was still decompressing after watching the 90 videos from Season 21. This is a Gerry Rafferty song called "Home and Dry", from the same album as "Baker Street". I've wanted to learn it for years, but none of the usual suspect web sites had the chords. So on Sunday I figured out the chords for myself -- and then got totally sidetracked because my daughter and sometime assistant Molly won the Massachusetts high school Division 2 State championship in the 2-mile run.

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtifWsFuuM

I took part in 35 of the first 52 Seasons. One of the ones I missed was Season 23 (Home), because I was still decompressing after watching the 90 videos from Season 21. This is a Gerry Rafferty song called "Home and Dry", from the same album as "Baker Street". I've wanted to learn it for years, but none of the usual suspect web sites had the chords. So on Sunday I figured out the chords for myself -- and then got totally sidetracked because my daughter and sometime assistant Molly won the Massachusetts high school Division 2 State championship in the 2-mile run.

One of my favorite songs off that great album! Great job. That was the first season I hosted and that song was one I was wishing someone would do. So glad you put this up! Care to share the chords?

On a side note, it's killing me not to take part this week. There are a few seasons I missed. I've got an injured finger that's refusing to heal quickly!

uke4ia
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
One of my favorite songs off that great album! Great job. That was the first season I hosted and that song was one I was wishing someone would do. So glad you put this up! Care to share the chords?

C# F# C# F#6/9 (3344)
G# B F# C# A G D G D C#

C#
This silver bird takes me ‘cross the sky
Just one more hour and I'll be home and dry
A F# C#
‘Cross the ocean, way above the clouds I come stealin'

C#
Feelin' tired, but I feel good
Cause I did everything I said I would
A F# C#
I think of you, and I know how you'll be feelin'

G# B F# C#
I gotta see you, I gotta be with you
A G D G D
We'll make it better now in every way
G# B F# C#
It's gotta be you, it's gotta be you
A G D G D
Yes from now on I'll tell you every day

Way up here above this timeless sea
I realize just what it is you mean to me
You give me somethin' when I thought that everything we had was dyin'

I need a reason just to make me carry on
Well I know better now, I know where I belong
I can't imagine how I ever let myself just give up tryin'

Oooooh, yes I'm home and dry

Ain't nothin' up here gonna slow me down
You know I never ever take the long way ‘round
I think of you, cause I know how you'll be feelin'

This silver bird takes me ‘cross the sky
Just one more hour and I'll be home and dry
‘Cross the ocean, way above the clouds I come stealin'

Oooooh, yes I'm home and dry

CountryMouse
02-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Uh oh. I just realized. Was I not supposed to add that little bit of reverb on my video? I can redo it. Please let me know!

CountryMouse

Joko
02-19-2013, 05:42 PM
So I guess OldePhart was right in that there wasn't anyone who managed to enter all 52 weeks of the Seasons? Surely, that person would have spoken up by now. Dollars to doughnuts, that won't be the case for this new year (of course, given the cost of doughnuts these days, that exchange rate isn't what it was when the phrase first came into use). I have no idea what my internet access is going to be like when I move to Thailand in April, but only technical difficulties could stop me from posting in 2013.

I've had a hard time this week picking a song given that I had 30 weeks of themes to chose from (I came aboard in Week 31). I eventually just stopped trying and exposed myself to media. When I'm looking to find something to cover, if I listen to radio, TV or commercials, eventually I'll hear something and think, "Ooo! I want to do THAT song." This song, Wonderwall, was used as a going-to-commercial song on one of the news shows I watch in the morning.

Turns out, Oasis's song Wonderwall was nominated for a Grammy back in 1997 for both Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group (which is kinda surprising, considering the disaffected, nasally tone of the singing) and Best Rock Song (deserved).

So, appropriately, I turn back to Week One, Grammy Nominated Artists. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/RWsBKSqRm5g

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
MANY thanks Uke4ia!

mattydee
02-19-2013, 07:12 PM
So I guess OldePhart was right in that there wasn't anyone who managed to enter all 52 weeks of the Seasons?

I might be wrong, but other than seasons they hosted, I am pretty sure both thesillydave and ralf (onlyukethatmatters) entered every season.

thesillydave
02-19-2013, 07:45 PM
well...yes, other than the 2 season's i hosted, i entered every season..(sometimes with painful multiple entries, my apologies! )..it became a challenge with me!
so, one of my season's was the Ukesterbrown challenge, here's a song from his song sheets!

http://youtu.be/KU9vuU3MJWA

thanks for including me in that first email christian! this past year has been a hoot for me!
and thanks for all the comments, from all of you seasonistas! it's been a such a rewarding year!

uke4ia
02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
If we all have to take part in the judging this week, a Season playlist would be really helpful.

pabrizzer
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Home from work sick with some bug. Voice not good and wife won't be impressed that I'm uploading but here is another bonus for the Academy Award Songs week 4 I think. Mecifully only did two of the 4 verses - Things Have Changed by Bob Dylan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_IqJ2O0xTA

J-Peg
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Without going back to count, I think I've done 40+ of the 52. I really hated to miss week 47 (because Ginny was hosting it and she's awesome), so thanks OldePharte for giving us all second chances. So here's my song about work. (Or the lack thereof.)

http://youtu.be/vZ-sIZ8nCQQ

Something about this song brings out my Southern twang. But it seems to fit, I guess.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
I might be wrong, but other than seasons they hosted, I am pretty sure both thesillydave and ralf (onlyukethatmatters) entered every season.

You're right. I entered 50 of the first 52 Seasons. I hosted the remaining two (and I made a bonus video for one of those). Participating every week has been more challenging and more rewarding than I ever could have guessed. Thanks to every Seasonista for keeping this crazy project going and going. You all rule!!!!

FiL
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Bummed I had to miss Metallica week, but sometimes life just gets in the way.

I think I joined the Seasons around Season 32, so plenty of material to work with this week. Here's one for Season 13--Mothers and Motherhood. It's from a children's album Kasey Chambers made a few years ago with her dad, and the song is called "Before You Came Along". Not being a mother, I don't often have a reason to play this one, but I love it.

http://youtu.be/rL9PO_SQRGk

- FiL

ukuloonie
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Ukuloonie here
I still have need for other Sub volunteers for the seasons
in case somebody needs to pull out of a week!!
I think we have a couple of spots left for whoever wants to take up the torch to host for a week
but we are really ok for now
Thanks for your help

OldePhart
02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
HOLY CARP - 11 pages already!

Sorry to be such a terrible host, folks. I thought the big project at work was going to be mostly complete by now (software never survives contact with the user community).

I really will be watching and commenting on all the vids but I may not get a chance to really get started until the weekend because work is just driving me nuts right now - and then this weekend I put a new commode in the master bath, pulled my back out of whack, and I'm not going to comment on videos while on Vicodin! (Programming on Vicodin is enough fun...)

John

pabrizzer
02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Second chance bonus again. Some bloke called Oldephart had a season (11 I think) called 12 bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2S4m2sv2qM

Dan Uke
02-20-2013, 08:37 PM
well...yes, other than the 2 season's i hosted, i entered every season..(sometimes with painful multiple entries, my apologies! )..it became a challenge with me!
so, one of my season's was the Ukesterbrown challenge, here's a song from his song sheets!

http://youtu.be/KU9vuU3MJWA

thanks for including me in that first email christian! this past year has been a hoot for me!
and thanks for all the comments, from all of you seasonistas! it's been a such a rewarding year!

You're right. I entered 50 of the first 52 Seasons. I hosted the remaining two (and I made a bonus video for one of those). Participating every week has been more challenging and more rewarding than I ever could have guessed. Thanks to every Seasonista for keeping this crazy project going and going. You all rule!!!!

That's awesome!! I think we should all chip in and buy them a UU Sweatshirt!!

elmann
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Second chance bonus again. Some bloke called Oldephart had a season (11 I think) called 12 bar.
> Going up the country

Great! I'm always stumblin' thru it, don't know why, but now I've a perfect sample!

Tootler
02-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Bummer! I had really hoped to have something for this season. I even had a couple of possibilities prepared.

We have recently had a downstairs cloakroom installed and my sister's coming this weekend so we have been busy clearing out all the stuff 'relocated' from the site of the cloakroom so my sister has somewhere to sleep!

Added to that I have a gig Friday night - not ukulele we are playing for a ceilidh dance and I mostly play harmonica. (We have a guitarist in the band who also plays uke.)

I might get something done Sunday evening after my sister has gone.

Joko
02-21-2013, 08:23 AM
In this bonus video, I mistakenly attributed the 12 bar blues week to Pabrizzer instead of Oldephart! Whoops! I had Pa's excellent rendition above in my head.

Warning! The video contains glimpses of butt crack and lots of pussy!

http://youtu.be/DSu3-jdQsoI

elmann
02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Bonus, season 23, home sweet home, and 25, real trains:
Home in Pasadena

http://youtu.be/6rbtSBKcVx4

Liamfsus7
02-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Okay, another bonus video. Im really getting into this!! :D
Grammy Nominated Artists week :
Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait, I hope you enjoy :3
Feedback and crit. is loved

http://youtu.be/j5Wn4_KWmHE

GinnyT11
02-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Bummer! I had really hoped to have something for this season. I even had a couple of possibilities prepared. I might get something done Sunday evening after my sister has gone.

How about "After You're Gone"...?

bbbannister
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi team

Happy 53rd from a cold but sunny UK.

This one was a bit beyond my vocal range, but what the heck I enjoyed it :-)

http://youtu.be/vjag4qjsufA

Thanks for watching

BB

uke4ia
02-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi team

Happy 53rd from a cold but sunny UK.

Thanks for watching
BB

Bob, I still need you to PM me your mailing address so I can send you your Season 49 prize!

Tootler
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
How about "After You're Gone"...?

Now there's a thought. :eek:

ukuloonie
02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
O.K. John
I got some time later I will create a playlist
Ukuloonie

ukuloonie
02-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I have created a playlist and bonus list so far for this week, P.M. me to Let me know If I have missed you in the lists

Season 53 (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjzSLBBksrssdS-8-yfApauZ)
Bonus Songs (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjxLHQZ2D4h9JSQjhFsQF1Ic)

uke4ia
02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cLpyBwBhoy0

If anyone is bringing home the bacon for Ginny's Season 26 "Dreams", please, please, PLEASE do this song!

wolfchs
02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
If anyone is bringing home the bacon for Ginny's Season 26 "Dreams", please, please, PLEASE do this song!

Oh my goodness! That was freaky! If I knew how to sing I'd do that song... plus I did that season so I can't. :o

wolfchs
02-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks a bunch for this Drew!

Dan Uke
02-21-2013, 07:55 PM
This for the Sunshine / Smile Week! You gotta love these impromptu moments with your kids...She never sang this song and we went on video with just one practice. She just lost a tooth a couple hours earlier, what a trooper!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYkyR0jc2Z0&feature=youtu.be

elmann
02-21-2013, 08:19 PM

So, I'm very familiar with that, but what the heck, I enjoyed it really!

pabrizzer
02-21-2013, 08:20 PM
This for the Sunshine / Smile Week! You gotta love these impromptu moments with your kids...She never sang this song and we went on video with just one practice. She just lost a tooth a couple hours earlier, what a trooper!!

Absolutely gotta love those moments! Precious and delightful!

bbbannister
02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Bob, I still need you to PM me your mailing address so I can send you your Season 49 prize!

Hey, didn't realise I had won!

PM in your inbox.

Many thanks

BB

filipinouker
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Thank you for this!!! I've been searching high and low for the playlist so that I can listen to the videos while I'm working and couldn't find where it was. Thank you for making it so easy for us :)

filipinouker
02-22-2013, 12:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cLpyBwBhoy0

Was half laughing, half freaked out as I watched this video! What a talent !!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Wongo
02-22-2013, 03:46 AM
My entry to the season
Hope you enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKeRCfnK0E
Excuse the ending.....darn dogs

we tigers
02-22-2013, 04:09 AM
Here's another bonus. I'm revisiting Season 17 (All creatures great and small). According to the rules of Season 17 it had to be one take and it had to be the first take. So even if you make a mistake, too bad, carry on. Therefore here's my quick and rough iphone video. First and only take. The song is by the ever brilliant Magnetic Fields from their album '69 Love Songs'.

http://youtu.be/Oipx0Q54xx8

glass
02-22-2013, 10:22 AM
heres my shot, a rushed attempt but I figured I originally entered the Original 6 Seasons Contest so I figured I had to enter this one too, enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/9XXIujLbKRM

pabrizzer
02-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Here's another bonus. I'm revisiting Season 17 (All creatures great and small). According to the rules of Season 17 it had to be one take and it had to be the first take. So even if you make a mistake, too bad, carry on. Therefore here's my quick and rough iphone video. First and only take. The song is by the ever brilliant Magnetic Fields from their album '69 Love Songs'.

Great job of this VERY Magnetic Fields song - "electric eels under the covers" what a neat line in a song!

ukuloonie
02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
updated playlists and bonus list
Playlist click (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjzSLBBksrssdS-8-yfApauZ)
Bonus List Click (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjxLHQZ2D4h9JSQjhFsQF1Ic)

ukuleledaddy
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
What a great way to round out the year and start up a new one John!
My entry for Season 53, for one of the seasons I missed; Season 46 which was hosted by Pabrizzer. The theme for that week was "011137"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1UaRA2MTAw&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1

FiL
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Here's a bonus track for Season 24: Guilty Pleasures. The Electric Light Orchestra has always been a guilty pleasure for me, and "Can't Get It Out of My Head" works surprisingly well on the uke.

http://youtu.be/VWQNkQ4um64

- FiL

ukuleledaddy
02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Here's my bonus. I hated to miss Season 40, Tootler's "It's Only Rock And Roll". I have a soft spot in my heart for early rock from the '50s. Here's Blue Days Black Nights by Buddy Holly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LAhK8yyA1M&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1

29moons
02-22-2013, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1UaRA2MTAw&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1[/QUOTE]

Wow! That was a totally awesome Monkees cover and one of my favorites. Thanks Sean for the shout out and the shirt looks great. That's one we need to do together. Great highs there and a great sounding uke. The beard and hair look good, kinda like watching Bob Weir cover the Monkees on uke.

ukuleledaddy
02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1UaRA2MTAw&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1

Wow! That was a totally awesome Monkees cover and one of my favorites. Thanks Sean for the shout out and the shirt looks great. That's one we need to do together. Great highs there and a great sounding uke. The beard and hair look good, kinda like watching Bob Weir cover the Monkees on uke.[/QUOTE]

Thanks John. Laughing at the Bob Weir reference. My wife has threatened not to kiss me until I at least trim the beard. I must admit, I look horrible. Oh well, I'll shave again when I learn to play my uke properly. I wish I had more time to work this tune out. I just played it a few times then recorded. I have an injured finger that until today has kept me from playing. Thanks again for the shirt!

ukuleledaddy
02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Here's a bonus track for Season 24: Guilty Pleasures. The Electric Light Orchestra has always been a guilty pleasure for me, and "Can't Get It Out of My Head" works surprisingly well on the uke.

http://youtu.be/VWQNkQ4um64

- FiL

I LOVE ELO! Great song and you handle the vocals well. Jeff Lynne is not easy to cover. Loved it!

The Ukelites
02-22-2013, 09:54 PM
updated playlists and bonus list
Playlist click (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjzSLBBksrssdS-8-yfApauZ)
Bonus List Click (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjxLHQZ2D4h9JSQjhFsQF1Ic)

Thanks for the playlists, Ukuloonie! Just watched and commented every official entry:) Now we'll watch the bonus stuff:)

wee_ginga_yin
02-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Here's my bonus. I hated to miss Season 40, Tootler's "It's Only Rock And Roll". I have a soft spot in my heart for early rock from the '50s. Here's Blue Days Black Nights by Buddy Holly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LAhK8yyA1M&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1

I never knew the Big Lebowski played the Uke. The Dude rules OK!!!

austin1
02-23-2013, 12:57 AM
anyone know off the top of their head which weeks allowed multitracking?

xommen
02-23-2013, 02:39 AM
Another bonus: This is a revisit of season 17 songs about all creature big and small, first take is it.
Maybe I should have practiced just a little longer ;-).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNxW4vHifE

chrimess
02-23-2013, 03:22 AM
I'll open up Metallica week for multitracking for second chances.

anyone know off the top of their head which weeks allowed multitracking?

Barbablanca
02-23-2013, 03:51 AM
As a child I was a fan of Kipling's "The Jungle Book" (the book, not the film). Then when I was older I read a lot of Kipling, especially his short stories of the days of the Raj. Then, a couple of years ago, I saw this wonderful documentary about the old railway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFHw3L1FXvw) up to the Raj's Summer capital of Shimla.

The next day I wrote the lyrics of a song, but it then spent two years in my "on-going projects" folder with no fixed melody. That was until, during train week on the Seasons, I asked if anyone could help me by writing a melody for it. After an aborted first attempt by another unnamed seasonista, Mike F(laherty) volunteered his services. But, sadly, he never got the track finished in time for the season.

Anyway, when the "second chance" theme was proposed I knew instantly which song I'd love to perform and wrote to Mike. Mike was preparing a superb multi-track rendition of the song (he's still working on) but sent me a rough draft to get an idea of the melody.

So, here it is, anther UU Seasons collaboration!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNyQHLfvXM

Hope you like it. It also introduces my new Oscar Schmidt 8 String I bought from Amazon in the States (I think they'd wrongly priced it, because I got it for €110 including import duties and packaging and postage. :drool:

Lyrics:

Up the Hills to Shimla
Lyrics - Berni Armstrong / Music by Mike Flaherty

When I was young, “The Jungle Book” escorted me to bed.
And dreams of ancient India raced swiftly around my head.
Then “Plain Tales from the Hills” replaced dreams of the wolf-pack.
And I swore one day, I’d find myself, on the mountain railway track.

Winding through the mountains up to Shimla,
CHO Climbing through the mist and through the rain.
RUS Exploring the great mystery of India,
A pilgrim rattling skywards on the train.

There are uniformed young schoolboys, some with sky-blue turban hats.
There are bureaucrats and businessmen, who’ve come up from the flats.
There are honeymooning couples with shy love looks in their smiles,
And tourists and train spotters devouring every mile.

CHORUS

There are porters and samosas that appear at every stop.
Rickety old viaducts, breathtaking sheer drops.
The distant Himalayas, as a backdrop to the scene,
And sights that take me back to when Victoria was Queen.

CHORUS

In my mind’s eye there are Redcoats, fleeing hot nights on the plains,
Subalterns and fat colonels, reliving old campaigns.
Crinolined young ladies swapping gossip behind fans,
Ambitious worldly curates and that ailing other man.

CHORUS

Verse - Dm A7 C A7
Chorus - F C Em F F C G E7

xommen
02-23-2013, 04:20 AM
And another bonus: This a revisit of season 9 sun and smiles, this song has sun in the lyrics, but I'm not sure it's a sunny song ;).

http://youtu.be/0yvk3Z1bCFs

FiL
02-23-2013, 05:33 AM
I LOVE ELO! Great song and you handle the vocals well. Jeff Lynne is not easy to cover. Loved it!

Thanks, u-dad! I warbled a few notes and spend up on the instrumental bits, but for one take, I'm happy. The first album I ever owned was ELO's On the Third Day, and I still have a soft spot for them.

- FiL

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 07:13 AM
I just updated the first post in the thread with the links to the playlists (thanks Drew!) and an update on the prizes.

Now, I am going to start reviewing videos! Sorry to have been such a crummy host this week but work is being a real drag right now. In fact, I probably won't get through all of the videos today because I'm going to have to work at least a few hours this evening.

BTW, the contest is still open through tomorrow (Sunday) night Hawaiian midnight - this is just an update.

John

Wongo
02-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Lots of fantastic entries this week. I've posted comments on peoples youtube pages that I have viewed. Looking forward to the rest.

alemarco
02-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I joined the seasons very late in the game and was really disappointed when I saw all the fantastic themes I had missed. So this week was so much fun. Here's my entry. It was intended for Season 23 which was "Home" week, but I realized it's still on the Top 100 so it applies to Season 28 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2YzgkitNA0&feature=youtu.be

Now off to record some bonuses!

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 08:07 AM
@xommen - I Was Made For Loving You (bonus) - Great voice and playing - I can't get enough of it!

@ukulites - The Girl from Ipanema - lovely rendition of a lovely song - you two always bring the whole package! I love the way you look at each other at the end like, "yeah, I think that one will do" :)

@ukuleledaveey - Don't Look Back in Anger - Great job Daveey! Man, you are really getting good - your playing is really becoming very fluid - and that Ohana sounds great. How long have you had it and is that an SK38? (The last I recall weren't you playing a Bruko? Seems that I've been missing a lot since work has me so out of touch with the seasons lately. Even the last couple of times that I've managed to dash off an entry I haven't been able to view all the videos.)

@wetigers - Boum! - Very, very nice. Lovely voice and facial expressions and great uke playing and I love how the xylophone and uke work together! Loved the on-the-fly translation at the end, too. Being linguistically challenged even in my own language I'm always impressed by the multi-lingual! As for the Ich Bin Wie Du bonus - I remember just enough of my high school German to get the anthem thing.

@xommen - Easter (bonus) - very nicely done with feeling. I'd not heard that song before so I did a bit of googling for some background - it has a pretty poignant message when you know the backstory and consider when it was written.

@PatriciaPDX - Wish I Didn't Love You So - You're right, that song suits you very well. Great job with it and the unintended pun had me rolling (more your reaction when you'd realized what you'd said then the pun itself, I think)!

@peewee - I Don't Love You Anymore - Nice one! Great vocals and playing and I really loved that chord solo break!

@pabrizzer - When You're Olde and Lonely (bonus) - Wow, I don't think I've heard that song but I like it. Also, you're back to Cash vocals after that sweet tenor earlier - I'm so envious! As for Sparkle and Shine - it's really hard to go wrong with a Steve Earle cover. Loved it!

@Dougf - Lime and Watermelon - There you go with that smooth jazz again! Really love that chord melody thing you do. As for the splash...well...it was a suprise and I guess you needed something to tie firmly into Myrna's river theme, eh? LOL

Amazing what great vids we've got so far. Really makes me that much madder that work is interferin' with real life right now. I can see I've been missing a lot! Well, time to grab some lunch and then I'll see what page 8 brings!

John

ukuleledaveey
02-23-2013, 09:45 AM
@ukuleledaveey - Don't Look Back in Anger - Great job Daveey! Man, you are really getting good - your playing is really becoming very fluid - and that Ohana sounds great. How long have you had it and is that an SK38? (The last I recall weren't you playing a Bruko? Seems that I've been missing a lot since work has me so out of touch with the seasons lately. Even the last couple of times that I've managed to dash off an entry I haven't been able to view all the videos.)

Wow thank you so much for the high words of praise John, im blushing terribly :) thank you so much, that is my ohana SK 35G with martin M600 strings, my fave uke of mine, yeah i got a bruko #6 last summer, but i lvoe my ohana, i got it december 2011, but had it replaced last summer as the first one started making a funny sound or i should say the c string became very boomy it over awed the other strings, hoping it odesnt happen with the replacement, but i do love the sound of my ohana, i want to get a Mele soprano next :) my mate has a concert one and it plays wonderfully.
Thanks for hosting a fab week and thank you so much for the very flattering words, your a star mate :)

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Wow thank you so much for the high words of praise John, im blushing terribly :) thank you so much, that is my ohana SK 35G with martin M600 strings, my fave uke of mine, yeah i got a bruko #6 last summer, but i lvoe my ohana, i got it december 2011, but had it replaced last summer as the first one started making a funny sound or i should say the c string became very boomy it over awed the other strings, hoping it odesnt happen with the replacement, but i do love the sound of my ohana, i want to get a Mele soprano next :) my mate has a concert one and it plays wonderfully.
Thanks for hosting a fab week and thank you so much for the very flattering words, your a star mate :)

Okay, good, I'm not quite as out of touch as I feared :) - I do remember your having problems with the first Ohana, I was just thinking it was the Bruko that you had problems with and had to get replaced. You probably won't have any problems with this one since it's still sounding fine and I remember it was quite some time ago that you replaced the first one. The Martin 600's really work on that uke!

John

caukulele
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
So I couldn’t resist such an open challenge this week. There were so many great seasons, and if I only had enough time, I would have wanted to participate in all of them. This song would have been from the Numbers Week (The 29th Season). At the time I wanted to try this song for it, but never found the time to practice it. For this song, I attempted to add a second track..so it is my first attempt at editing…kind of fun, but endless possibilities as well…..The song is “At Seventeen by Janis Ian, from 1975.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdZm6VEtTEQ&feature=youtu.be

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
@xommen – Jesus Christ (bonus) – good job – I thought I knew all of Woody's songs but I actually don't think I've heard that one before.

@UkeyDave – Karma Police – wow, I haven't heard that one in forever. Great job with it! - Sorry 'bout the fleas...and sorry you haven't got a dog...I guess that means you have fleas? LOL

@Liamfsus7 (and Bob) – The Promise (bonus) – good job – looks like you survived the first-video jitters just fine! I think Bob liked it, too...

@strumsilly – De Colores – Really good job, fits your voice well and love the ukulele style (and your Spanish pronunciation is way better than mine would be). Loved the bari, too, which one is that?

@CountryMouse – The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry – Very nice – good song choice for you. I love the “old country” songs and you do them well. Here's a thought – you and Geof (Tootler) should do a long-distance collaboration some time...

@elmann – Au Dessus Des Nuages - Above the Clouds – Very nice and that 8-string uke sounds great. A belated welcome to the seasons, BTW, I've been away so much lately...I think this is the first time I've seen one of your entries!

@uke4ia – Home and Dry – Great job and congrats on figuring the chords out yourself. I'm pretty sure you got them right because I recognized the intro. Also, congrats to your daughter and Molly. But, I've got to ask...how does Molly assist? Does she run ahead with a carrot in her mouth... LOL (And here is really hoping that Molly is the rabbit because if not I've got a lot of egg on my face about now...) (Oooh, and thanks for posting the chords!)

@ukuleledaddy - “On a side note, it's killing me not to take part this week. There are a few seasons I missed. I've got an injured finger that's refusing to heal quickly!” - Left hand or right? If left, play slide. If right, do something simple and use an uninjured finger! Sorry, not to make light of your injury, just offering some suggestions, and the latter one is actually serious. I tore up my index finger a couple of weeks ago and spent a few days strumming with my second and third fingers – and now my fan strum is much improved!

@CountryMouse - “Uh oh. I just realized. Was I not supposed to add that little bit of reverb on my video? I can redo it. Please let me know!” - No problem from my rules – if the rules for that season forbid it then technically it's a violation but, honestly, it's so little reverb I didn't notice it so even then I'd let it slide.

@Joko – Wonderwall – Great job and sung with lots of feeling. I think that's the first Lanikai baritone I've heard, too. I didn't realize that they even make one. Good luck in Thailand, too. From what I hear the uke scene is pretty hot over there.

@thesillydave – I'm in the Mood for Love – more great fun, Dave! I'm still going to stop by your place and raid your hat closet on the way to UWC one of these years... Congrats on making all the seasons except the ones you hosted – and now you got a chance to do those, too. (So, how about a bonus for the other season...)

@pabrizzer – Things Have Changed (bonus) – great job – wish I could play and sing like that when I'm well, let alone sick! Love that 8-string, too. I haven't heard that song – I think I'm going to have to learn it...

@j-peg – One More Dollar – definitely got the twang thing goin' on but the song wouldn't be right without it – also goes well with the resonator...which I'm drooling over, BTW. Really good job and I'm glad you got to sing about work!

Okay, lots more good videos, I'm blown away. But, watching all these videos is thirsty work so I'm off to make a cup of coffee then I'll come back for the rest.

Liamfsus7
02-23-2013, 11:43 AM

uke4ia
02-23-2013, 11:56 AM
@uke4ia – Home and Dry – Great job and congrats on figuring the chords out yourself. I'm pretty sure you got them right because I recognized the intro. Also, congrats to your daughter and Molly. But, I've got to ask...how does Molly assist? Does she run ahead with a carrot in her mouth... LOL (And here is really hoping that Molly is the rabbit because if not I've got a lot of egg on my face about now...) (Oooh, and thanks for posting the chords!)

No, Molly is my daughter. She helped in a couple of my videos in Guilty Pleasures week, and she chose the winners' names from my Fluke gig bag the two weeks that I hosted. Eisley is the rabbit, named after the Texan alt-rock band.

Tootler
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I managed to make a couple of recordings today.

I joined the seasons at ukuloonie's British Folk song week, week 16 and I have missed a few since for one reason or another - often because time was a problem. Who says you have plenty of time to do things when you are retired??? :old:

I'll make this one my entry. It's "On Raglan Road" and fits in week 6, Irish songs. The song itself was originally a poem written by Irish poet Patrick Kavanagh and was then set to music using a traditional Irish Air "The Dawning of the Day". It seems likely that it was Kavanagh himself who chose the tune as the poem makes references to the air and the song it was from though some think it was Luke Kelly of the Dubliners who set it to music as it was the Dubliners who first recorded the song.

http://youtu.be/Dvq9IiQnvlc

I have a bonus to upload as well.

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
@FiL – Before You Came Along – really great rendition of that song. As for not being a mother...I understand there's probably at least a 97% chance that you had a mother, right?

@pabrizzer – Goin' up the Country – one of my favorite Canned Heat songs. You're given that 8-string a workout this season!

@Tootler – I hope you manage to find time to record something. I can relate to the busy stuff, though.

@Joko – Leavin' fo Thailand Blues – (original bonus) – great fun! That's what I call makin' lemonade out of lemons!

@elmann – Home in Pasadena (bonus) – all right! Two birds with one stone (3, if you count season 53). Good job on a wonderful old song.

@Liamfsus7 – I Will Wait (bonus) – yep, you've been bit by the bug and taken the bait hook, line, and sinker (how's that for some mixed metaphors!) I love your enthusiasm.

@GT3T11 - “How about -After You're Gone'...?” - too funny, Ginny, you crack me up.

@bbbannister – When I'm Sixty-Four – Bob, this was wonderful! I've always loved that song and you did it really well. Loved the picking, bits, too. Congrats on the new uke. I think Lanikai has some of the best pickup/'tronics packages out there in reasonably priced ukes. I had a Lanikai 8-string acoustic-electric that was like playing a wet dog acoustically but it was set up perfectly and plugged in it really rocked the house. BTW – you can slap me if you like but for some reason every time I see your avatar I think of “The gentleman rhymer...”

@gollum sings I Dreamed a Dream – I may never sleep again. I certainly will never be able to hear that song without laughing.

@nongdam – Love and Honesty – okay, bringing out the big guns and playing the cute card, eh? Seriously, great job by both of you. I kept waiting for her to say, “c'mon dad, I can't see through the uke!”

@Wongo – Creep – Great job. I had never heard this song until I saw a YouTube video of UooGB doing it a while back. I've since come to like it and you do a good version. I hope the dogs repelled that intruder... :)

@we tigers – A Chicken With its Head Cut Off (bonus) – Good job, we need to hear you sing more often. I'd not heard that song before but it's a pretty cool song.

@glass – Johnny B. Goode - great job Ken on a fun song. (This is one of my favorite songs, I betcha can't imagine why.) Good to see you back in the seasons – of course I think I've been missing more than you have for the last few months.

@ukuleledaddy – Forget that Girl – Wow, super job! What injured finger? Really great vocals and I didn't see anything wrong with the uke playin', either.

@FiL – Can't Get it Out of My Head (bonus) – a pleasure indeed.

@ukuleledaddy – Blue Days Black Nights (bonus) – wow, and a bonus, too! Really nice rendition of this great old song.

@xommen – Who's Going to Ride Your White Horses (bonus) – Somehow I get the feeling you like U2... Another great job.

@Barbablanca – Up the Hills to Shimla – wonderful original, Berni (and Mike), and a great backstory about the collaboration, too! The lyrics, vocals, and melody work together to make that very reminiscent of something that Ian Anderson might do. Great deal on the uke, too!

@xommen – Staring at the Sun (bonus) – yep...you're definitely a fan of U2! Another good job!

@alemarco – Home – Very nice job. Great voice! Looking forward to the bonuses. Nice song, too. I hadn't heard it before (I don't follow American Idol and I'd never even heard of Phillip Phillips so I had to go googling – I guess that makes me old). LOL

@caukulele – At Seventeen – I got excited as soon as I read far enough to see the title. This came out when I was in High School and I loved it. Wonderful job on the harmonies, too. You folks who can harmonize with yourselves (or harmonize at all, for that matter) make me very jealous.

@Tootler – On Raglan Road – woo! Great choice Geof – I've always loved Roger Daltrey's version of this song though I never knew the history of it, I thought it was his cover of a Dubliner's song (which I guess it sort of is). Anyway, I love all these old folk songs you come up with! Looking forward to the bonus.

Great bunch of videos so far, still about 36 hours or thereabouts to go. Thanks to all of you for participating. A special thanks to Drew for doing the playlists! That's an often thankless job that deserves more recognition than it gets, I think.

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 01:10 PM
No, Molly is my daughter. She helped in a couple of my videos in Guilty Pleasures week, and she chose the winners' names from my Fluke gig bag the two weeks that I hosted. Eisley is the rabbit, named after the Texan alt-rock band.

Ahhh, I get it now, and I remember her drawing names. I just confused the phrasing - when you said something like "my daughter and sometimes assistant Molly" my overworked brain interpreted it as a reference to your daughter and someone else...and of course I thought of the rabbit. :)

John

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Well, it was either that or you had rubbed some bacon on your knee... LOL

When I was little my mom had to hang a pork chop around my neck to get the dog to play with me... (Rodney Dangerfield, I think).

John

Tootler
02-23-2013, 01:44 PM
@Tootler – On Raglan Road – woo! Great choice Geof – I've always loved Roger Daltrey's version of this song though I never knew the history of it, I thought it was his cover of a Dubliner's song (which I guess it sort of is). Anyway, I love all these old folk songs you come up with! Looking forward to the bonus.

Thanks, John.

There was a clip on You Tube of an excerpt from a TV interview in which Luke Kelly talks about how he first heard "On Raglan Road" from Kavanagh himself in a Dublin Pub. From what he says, it seems pretty certain Kavanagh put his own poem to music though it was Luke Kelly who originally sang it. The poem was originally called "Dark Haired Miriam walked away" but that was thought somewhat clumsy for a song title so it is probably Luke Kelly who chose the first three words of the poem as the song title. There is a lot of speculation around the poem and its significance. It makes a great song, though.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the You Tube clip just now. It used to come near the top of the search list so it may have been taken down which is a pity.

barefootgypsy
02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Still hoping to get an entry in tomorrow before the deadline..... !! Probably Season 45, While Shepherds Watched - I had a song ready but Christmas was just too busy to make it...... fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Tootler
02-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Here is my bonus track: "Where Have All the Flowers Gone".

Originally written by Pete Seeger based on a passage from the book "And Quiet Flows the Don" by Russian author Mikhail Sholokhov. Originally the song had just the first three verses which matched the passage in the book but later Joe Hickerson added two further verses to create the version which most people know.

As this is a song about the futility of war, I feel this would have fitted ukuleledaveey's week 12 theme "Rebellious, Revolution and Renegade"

http://youtu.be/WnQb-P8k3r4

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Here is my bonus track: "Where Have All the Flowers Gone".

Ahh, more great memories. When I was a kid my parents were mortified that I had Joan Baez albums, including one where she covered this song - they were sure she had to be some kind of pinko communist - I just thought she was hot and liked her voice! :)

John

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Still hoping to get an entry in tomorrow before the deadline..... !! Probably Season 45, While Shepherds Watched - I had a song ready but Christmas was just too busy to make it...... fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I hope so too! I can relate to the busy Christmas thing. We went to take care of my mum-in-law while my sister-in-law took a well-deserved break. I thought I'd have lots of time to record...hah! Taking care of an elderly woman with alzheimer's took a lot more of my time than I expected. My wife ended up being under the weather most of the week and besides, she sleeps like a log and so I got to be the one "sleeping" with one ear open in case mum in the next room fell or anything. Anyway, the video camera never came out of the suitcase!

John

OldePhart
02-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Okay, I've created the spreadsheet I'll use to tally results - so it will only take a few moments to add each new entry and then as results come in I'll be able to tabulate them quickly.

Someone asked me about judging, what criteria they should use and were they really qualified to judge, etc. Let's keep it real simple - if you submitted an entry you are qualified! I'm not asking for anyone to judge anything they don't feel qualified to evaluate - it's very simple, pick the three videos you liked the most (wait until the contest closes tomorrow at midnight, Hawaii time, obviously). Everyone is qualified to decide what they liked - we're not looking for deep analysis of the musicality on the molecular level! Oh, but do avoid voting for yourself, even if you liked your video the most! :)

BTW, in case anybody else decides to do another "entrant judged" season, I came up with a cool way of tabulating votes using a spreadsheet grid with the entries down column A and the entrants across the remaining columns. The bottom row tabulates the votes submitted by each entrant (which in this case should be three or nothing) and the rightmost column tabulates the votes for each entry.

Thus, I can tell at a glance who has voted and who has not, and the computer gets to do most of the work, which is exactly how it should be.

John

~dave~~wave~
02-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Brilliant idea for a theme, John.
I have a lot of catching up to do, so I just tuned up a uke and poured a pint to ready myself to listen to some more entries.

I did Farewell, Farewell by Fairport Convention for Season 16 folk songs of the British Isles.
The record came out in 1969, but since the tune is based on Child Ballad 100 "Wiilie o' Winsbury" I hope it qualifies as pre-1950 per the original rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_UoIySju6g

Liamfsus7
02-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Sounds very efficient! I'm looking forward to picking my three :)

Raygf
02-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Here is my entry into Season 53. Thanks for giving us another shot at the seasons we missed John! There's plenty more where that came from! This could be a recurring theme. I missed plenty of seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSPPSNP1EpE

TCK
02-23-2013, 05:24 PM
So then this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpjEnAb5EDE&feature=youtu.be
Season 12 redux.
Song is "The Scout" by a local string band, The Brothers Comatose. If you like string bands, check them out. They do a great show, and warranted an entire radio show from yours truly a few weeks back. (http://dlaurice.podomatic.com/entry/2013-02-03T10_12_51-08_00)

thesillydave
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
revisiting season 17...one take, all creatures great and small...one take...not pretty!

http://youtu.be/Uh9WExzSOX0
now my year of seasons is complete! thanks oldephart!
now to find a bird song!! yikes!

austin1
02-24-2013, 05:39 AM
urgh. yet another seasons week I was looking forward to, but school has dastardly stomped on :(

glass
02-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Lots of good entries!! Come on Tina do one!!

Tootler
02-24-2013, 05:43 AM
Ahh, more great memories. When I was a kid my parents were mortified that I had Joan Baez albums, including one where she covered this song - they were sure she had to be some kind of pinko communist - I just thought she was hot and liked her voice! :)

John

Most folkies at that time were pretty left wing politically. Still pretty much are over here.

I first heard it by Peter, Paul and Mary. I also still have a record up in the loft with Pete Seeger singing it live in its original three verse form. He doesn't sing the "When will they ever learn" refrain in the third verse, just leaves it as "They're all in uniform". Very effective.

Okay, I've created the spreadsheet I'll use to tally results

BTW, in case anybody else decides to do another "entrant judged" season, I came up with a cool way of tabulating votes using a spreadsheet grid with the entries down column A and the entrants across the remaining columns. The bottom row tabulates the votes submitted by each entrant (which in this case should be three or nothing) and the rightmost column tabulates the votes for each entry.

Thus, I can tell at a glance who has voted and who has not, and the computer gets to do most of the work, which is exactly how it should be.

John

That's pretty much what I did with the entrant judged seasons I hosted. If you have asked them to rank their choices, then it's easy enough to enter the scores in the relevant column and the right hand column just totals it all up.

chrimess
02-24-2013, 06:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqav7DubfNM&sns=emOf the many seasons I missed, at least I was hosting the HI theme- just a straight Jake cover but I hope you enjoy it:

ukuloonie
02-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Thats pretty cool Christian, Liked it a lot,
I wouldn't mind learning that piece myself.

uke4ia
02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
urgh. yet another seasons week I was looking forward to, but school has dastardly stomped on :(

You need a second chance to bring home the bacon for the second chance to bring home the bacon!

GinnyT11
02-24-2013, 08:50 AM
I would very much like to contribute this week, as I've missed a few Seasons for different personal reasons. But today's the last day to post and my chosen song is fighting me; we're not in harmony at all. It will be better for my mental health to go for a walk than continue my futile attempt to get a clean take.

John, this a brilliant theme and emotionally engaging, too, as people can take a favorite song into past weeks. Bravo to you.

Dear Seasonistas, we'll meet again. Maybe I'll bring a Lullaby from Birdland or somewhere.

chrimess
02-24-2013, 09:53 AM
There's plenty of bacon in Germany.

You need a second chance to bring home the bacon for the second chance to bring home the bacon!

filipinouker
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Have i missed the deadline for this???
Oh please please please accept my humble entry! It's taken me a LOT of courage to allow myself to look/sound like a fool (I have never used a kazoo or an egg shaker before now!) and consider the pain I put my husband through as he listened to me practice this :D

This is my second chance to do Season 24 (TCK's Season 24 - Guilty Pleasure Week):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcXJ0q720tA

TCK
02-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Oh please please please accept my humble entry! It's taken me a LOT of courage to allow myself to look/sound like a fool (I have never used a kazoo or an egg shaker before now!) and consider the pain I put my husband through as he listened to me practice this :D

This is my second chance to do Season 24 (TCK's Season 24 - Guilty Pleasure Week):-

Fool? Are you kidding? I cannot believe we made it through week 24 without a Neil Sedaka cover- this is top shelf! You look like an Ukulele wielding, egg shaking, kazoo playing angel right here. This is brilliant.

filipinouker
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Fool? Are you kidding? I cannot believe we made it through week 24 without a Neil Sedaka cover- this is top shelf! You look like an Ukulele wielding, egg shaking, kazoo playing angel right here. This is brilliant.

LOL, thanks TCK! The word "angel" may not be what my husband would call me right now - more like "buzzing mosquito" (cos of the kazoo) ;)

Barbablanca
02-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Season 12 redux.
Song is "The Scout" by a local string band, The Brothers Comatose. If you like string bands, check them out.

Will do. I really liked that song!!!

Your wife is an expert at upstaging you, though ;). I love that smile of hers, at one point, that seems to say: "Oh, let him play. It could be worse, he could be down in a bar with they boys getting drunk ;) )

ukuLily Mars
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Well... way back in Season 26 I tried working my nerve up to do a song for Dreams Week. I was unsuccessful. However, having been offered a Second Chance, here I am with "Dream Lover" by the magnificent Bobby Darin. Several of my favorite men are from The Bronx, and Bobby Darin is tied for third.

Oh, and on the original recording, Neil Sedaka played piano. We are obviously going to need a Neil Sedaka week.

I hope you all enjoy this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l48r0lpLwdQ&feature=youtu.be

FiL
02-24-2013, 11:38 AM
I missed a lot of seasons before I joined. Here's another bonus--this one is for Season 16, Pre-1950's Folk Songs of the British Isles. "Wild Mountain Thyme" is usually done in 3/4, but ever since I heard the Byrds' version, I've been doing it in 4/4.

http://youtu.be/ea1ofs_Pafo

- FiL

myrnaukelele
02-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Of the many seasons I missed, at least I was hosting the HI theme- just a straight Jake cover but I hope you enjoy it:
Very nice! Some great picking.

myrnaukelele
02-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Oh I just love this one! What a great version. I'll have to try playing with a shaker egg sometime- it really worked well. And your harmonies at the end are so sweet.
And no worries about missing the deadline. We still have hours to go in this Season.

myrnaukelele
02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Well... way back in Season 26 I tried working my nerve up to do a song for Dreams Week. I was unsuccessful. However, having been offered a Second Chance, here I am with "Dream Lover" by the magnificent Bobby Darin. Several of my favorite men are from The Bronx, and Bobby Darin is tied for third.

Oh, and on the original recording, Neil Sedaka played piano. We are obviously going to need a Neil Sedaka week.

I hope you all enjoy this!

I did enjoy it! This could also have worked for Guilty Pleasures week.:o

myrnaukelele
02-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I missed a lot of seasons before I joined. Here's another bonus--this one is for Season 16, Pre-1950's Folk Songs of the British Isles. "Wild Mountain Thyme" is usually done in 3/4, but ever since I heard the Byrds' version, I've been doing it in 4/4.
- FiL
Your resonator uke sounds really nice on this one. Good song choice for this Season.

ukuLily Mars
02-24-2013, 12:25 PM
- FiL

This was really nice. And your cat: awww. AWWWW.

myrnaukelele
02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I missed 2 of the 52 Seasons- Season 8 and Season 10. So here's a Season 53 entry for Season 8- Easter/Spring week.

http://youtu.be/spO3ZFJyfvU
OldePhart- thanks for giving us a chance to make up some of the Seasons we missed. With the two entries I did for this Season I'm now able to say I did entries for all 52 Seasons (a small accomplishment, but-to me- a special one).

mattydee
02-24-2013, 12:35 PM
I've been a Seasonista from week 1 (I think I entered 43 of the first 52 and hosted three more), and the first week I missed was Season 21, Peewee's French week. I worked on this song then, but lost the time to record it. Anyway, here it is, La Quête, by Jaques Brel, in Brel's Chanson style.

http://youtu.be/KBkOjX_bMbA

What an incredible journey this has been. I am very much looking forward to another year!

austin1
02-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Amen to that.

ukuLily Mars
02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I did enjoy it! This could also have worked for Guilty Pleasures week.:o

Thanks, Myrna! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Except for the Neil Sedaka connection, though, I feel no guilt. ;)

I missed 2 of the 52 Seasons- Season 8 and Season 10. So here's a Season 53 entry for Season 8- Easter/Spring week.

OldePhart- thanks for giving us a chance to make up some of the Seasons we missed. With the two entries I did for this Season I'm now able to say I did entries for all 52 Seasons (a small accomplishment, but-to me- a special one).

NOT a small accomplishment at all! You gave lots of really wonderful performances, and you should give yourself a pat on the back. Same to everyone else who got a chance to complete the Seasons this week. Yay, Oldephart!

FiL
02-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Your resonator uke sounds really nice on this one. Good song choice for this Season.

This was really nice. And your cat: awww. AWWWW.

Thanks, both of you! I had just strung up the reso-uke with Southcoast's classical metal strings. I think they are a good match for the reso.

Here's another bonus. This is "Buckets of Rain" for 12-Bar Blues week (Season 11?). Our cat Simon is a bit more active in this one!

http://youtu.be/6vZbHZmN-rY

- FiL

myrnaukelele
02-24-2013, 02:06 PM
I've been a Seasonista from week 1 (I think I entered 43 of the first 52 and hosted three more), and the first week I missed was Season 21, Peewee's French week. I worked on this song then, but lost the time to record it. Anyway, here it is, La Quête, by Jaques Brel, in Brel's Chanson style.

What an incredible journey this has been. I am very much looking forward to another year!

Formidable!

ukuLily Mars
02-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Here's another bonus. This is "Buckets of Rain" for 12-Bar Blues week (Season 11?). Our cat Simon is a bit more active in this one!
- FiL

Your video is coming up as private. Is that Simon's doing?

FiL
02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Your video is coming up as private. Is that Simon's doing?

Oops! I've fixed it. :)

- FiL

mattydee
02-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Formidable!

Mercy Buckets!

chrimess
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Great song-wonderful version, nice resonator- bert Jansch would have been proud.

http://youtu.be/ea1ofs_Pafo

- FiL

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-24-2013, 05:52 PM
I am proud to present the tap dance youtube debut of my talented, lovely, intelligent wife Jessica.

I forgot to mention in the video that we're revisiting the 33rd Season challenge, but it's kind of obvious since we're doing yet another ukulele version of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". (There can never be enough.)

http://youtu.be/ViwZlONIOKo

Pueo
02-24-2013, 06:21 PM
OK folks, I decided to do Hawaiian Week.
Here is my song, Mahina O Hoku, by Lillian Awa.

http://youtu.be/4TAC0PJFPyk

pootsie
02-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Thank you, John, for giving me another crack at singing in French

Here is my bold attempt to slaughter both The Talking Heads and the French language in a single swoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq759hck72I
Please note, while this is not my first Seasons appearance, I believe it is the first Seasons entry for Mimmo's new Aquila Red Series strings. I like them more than I like my singing but what the heck, right?

Pueo
02-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Thank you, John, for giving me another crack at singing in French

Here is my bold attempt to slaughter both The Talking Heads and the French language in a single swoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq759hck72I
Please note, while this is not my first Seasons appearance, I believe it is the first Seasons entry for Mimmo's new Aquila Red Series strings. I like them more than I like my singing but what the heck, right?
C'était chouette, your singing!

FYI, my Pono I played in my Season 53 video is also strung with Mimmo's Aquila Reds. I like the sound too.

Joko
02-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks, both of you! I had just strung up the reso-uke with Southcoast's classical metal strings. I think they are a good match for the reso.

- FiL

Cannibal kitty! Aren't uke strings made from cat gut?

barefootgypsy
02-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Well, disappointingly I haven't made the deadline.... I wanted to do for Season 45 (Tootler's week) While Shepherd Watched to a different tune. I found that it fits the tune to Sweet Lass of Richmond Hill just beautifully - but I didn't get all the chords buttoned down quite right. I think I've just sorted it at last! So it'll have to be a late bonus..... sorry! Coming as soon as...........

barefootgypsy
02-25-2013, 02:24 AM
A late bonus - bonus because I missed the deadline, this would have been my entry, I'm 4 hours late. Week 45, While Shepherds Watched to a different tune, Tootler's week. Geoff I was dying to do this at Christmas but never had time, and even now I couldn't find chords so I've worked them out......hope it sounds ok.....

http://youtu.be/S2rvzrwYz2o

Thanks Oldephart for a great week with a great theme!

OldePhart
02-25-2013, 03:16 AM
Okay folks, we're a couple hours past the deadline now so time to stop submittin' and start pickin' your three favorites.

Just PM them to me (I see from my inbox there have already been a few) and I'll get to tallying them up. Will also try to comment on the remaining videos this evening. Right now, I have to put my nose to the grindstone for the day job.

Thanks everybody!

John

pootsie
02-25-2013, 04:34 AM
C'était chouette, your singing!

FYI, my Pono I played in my Season 53 video is also strung with Mimmo's Aquila Reds. I like the sound too.

I didn't catch that. So this is the Reds debut season! thanks

barefootgypsy
02-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Just managed to snatch some time to watch a few videos and have commented on the Youtube pages - different name, same avotar.... some great entries there again this week! I think I watched all the girls, and quite a few guys, even if I didn't manage to comment on all - (the page often jumps over before you have a chance to complete a comment.) The talent on here really blows me away, so many skills..... well done to all and thanks for the entertainment! And thanks again John, it was a great idea to do this as week 53!

Now on to the birds.....:)

OldePhart
02-25-2013, 09:06 AM
I decided to view and comment on videos while I munched some lunch. I've also updated the spreadsheet.

I've got about 7 ballots in my inbox already - thanks to the prompt voters! BTW, if you're voting before Drew gets a chance to update the playlists please remember to view and consider the entries that came in last night.

I'm allowing up to two weeks for votes to come in because I know how busy we can be at times. If everyone gets their votes in early I'll post the results as soon as all of the votes are in.

Now, for the comments on the latest videos!

@~dave~~wave~ - Farewell, Farewell – Good job on a great song I've not heard before! Sung with feeling and with that background I could feel the cold northern wind.

@Raygf – One Note Samba (I think that's the name of it) – Really nice Ray. Lovely tenor and great smooth jazz progressions.

@TCK & TCW – The Scout (bonus) – That's a great song and you guys did it really well!

@thesillydave – Fit as a Fiddle (bonus) – That was pretty darned good, actually. Congrats on covering all the seasons, Dave.

@chrimess – 143 – Woah! You've been holdin' back on us, my friend. That was a superb instrumental!

@filipinouker – Calendar Girl – your entry was in with plenty of time to spare. Great job, wonderful vocals as always and good job with the kazoo and egg!

@ukuLily Mars – Dream Lover – Great job on a lovely song. Love your voice and this song is perfect for it!

@FiL – Wild Mountain Thyme (bonus) – Another beautiful old song. Well done. I think the cat wants to play, next time.

@myrnaukulele – Easter Parade – Really nice job on an old song. Sweet voice and sweet uke. Looking out your window though I think I may need to go put a jacket on... Oh, and congrats on now having been in all 52 seasons!

@mattydee – La Quete – Wonderful as always Matty! I'm not qualified to judge your French pronunciation but I'm reasonably confident it's way better than anything I might manage!

@FiL – Buckets of Rain (bonus) – Great job on a cool song – and harp too! I've got a bunch of harps and a rack but I can't really play a lick. Loved the resonator and see, I told you Simon wants his turn on it...

@TheOnlyUkeThatMatters – Take Me Out to the Ballgame – Great job Ralf and Jessica! Tap dancing no less!

@Pueo – Mahina O Hoku – Super job on a beautiful song – and I'd kill for your back yard! :)

@Pootsie – Psycho Killer – Loved it! This is another of those songs I'd never heard until I saw a video of UOoGB doing it! This probably would have fit the indie/alternate week, too so you killed a couple of birds with one song...wait...that doesn't sound very complimentary...hopefully you know what I meant!

@barefootgypsy – While Shepherds Watched (bonus) – Lovely choice of melody and nice job with it. You're right that melody does fit very well. It's a shame you didn't get it done quite in time. If it had been a matter of minutes I'd have let it go 'cause sometimes uploads take a while and all that but we have to call the game at some point. Thanks for submitting it as a bonus though because it's lovely.

pootsie
02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
@Pootsie – Psycho Killer – Loved it! This is another of those songs I'd never heard until I saw a video of UOoGB doing it! This probably would have fit the indie/alternate week, too so you killed a couple of birds with one song...wait...that doesn't sound very complimentary...hopefully you know what I meant!

Wait, I thought birds was Season #54?!?!

thanks!

Tootler
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
A late bonus - bonus because I missed the deadline, this would have been my entry, I'm 4 hours late. Week 45, While Shepherds Watched to a different tune, Tootler's week. Geoff I was dying to do this at Christmas but never had time, and even now I couldn't find chords so I've worked them out......hope it sounds ok.....
http://youtu.be/S2rvzrwYz2o

Thanks Oldephart for a great week with a great theme!

Great choice of tune, Lesley and you're right it does fit really well. Pity you weren't able to get it done on time.

mikef
02-25-2013, 10:06 PM
What an awesome season... well done to you all! Time was against me this week but I like to think I was here in spirit... good luck everyone!

Liamfsus7
02-26-2013, 07:22 AM
When is the voting deadline?

OldePhart
02-26-2013, 07:35 AM
When is the voting deadline?

Midnight, Sunday, March 10th, Hawaii time. However, if all the entrants submit their ballots before then I'll announce the winners earlier. If we get a couple of days from the deadline and still have entrants who haven't voted I'll drop them a gentle reminder in a PM.

Speaking of winners...there's a change in prizes, which I'm sure will upset no one. The plush pig I ordered to use to make first prize wasn't anything like the picture on the website and wouldn't sit up. Even my grandkids thought it was lame, so I sent it back. It's not looking like I'll have time to make the uke that it was supposed to hold, anyway.

So, change in plans. First place will be a T-Shirt that says, "Ukulele, better than bacon." (I'll order this shirt after the winner is determined so the first place winner, when announced, should PM me their shirt size as well as mailing address.) Second prize will be a ball cap that says the same thing. Third prize is a sticker that says same thing (ordering two of these, one for one of my own uke cases). The lucky dog prize is still top secret, and I hope that the "lucky" person that wins it shares my sense of humor... :)

John

ksiegel
02-26-2013, 08:05 AM
So, change in plans. First place will be a T-Shirt that says, "Ukulele, better than bacon." (I'll order this shirt after the winner is determined so the first place winner, when announced, should PM me their shirt size as well as mailing address.) Second prize will be a ball cap that says the same thing. Third prize is a sticker that says same thing (ordering two of these, one for one of my own uke cases). The lucky dog prize is still top secret, and I hope that the "lucky" person that wins it shares my sense of humor... :)

John

Oh, what a shame I can't get in on this... My boss is a Bacon Fan - her license plate, her nickname.... When she joined us, I gave her some of Archie McPhee's Bacon Mints, a Bacon-Flavored all-day sucker, bacon-flavored toothpaste and dental floss, and of course a Bacon bendy figure. She doesn't tease me about my ukes, although she does tease me about the spinning wheel and making yarn sometimes. She said she looks forward to my finger healing, so I can start playing the uke again. (I think she just wants me to stop bitching about not being able to play, though...)

-Kurt

OldePhart
02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi folks,

I've received somewhere around sixteen or seventeen ballots, I think.

I've figured out all the ones I've received, but one thing would help. Please either vote by the UU username or include the name of the song. That's how I have them listed in my spreadsheet (UU username and song) so if you use YouTube username and it's not somebody I know it takes me a bit to figure it out.

Thanks,
John

OldePhart
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh, what a shame I can't get in on this... My boss is a Bacon Fan - her license plate, her nickname.... When she joined us, I gave her some of Archie McPhee's Bacon Mints, a Bacon-Flavored all-day sucker, bacon-flavored toothpaste and dental floss, and of course a Bacon bendy figure. She doesn't tease me about my ukes, although she does tease me about the spinning wheel and making yarn sometimes. She said she looks forward to my finger healing, so I can start playing the uke again. (I think she just wants me to stop bitching about not being able to play, though...)

-Kurt

Heh, heh. My boss is a huge hello kitty fan. We're always finding little ways to give her "tortured hello kitties" and whatnot. Fortunately, she has a decent sense of humor...

ukuLily Mars
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Heh, heh. My boss is a huge hello kitty fan. We're always finding little ways to give her "tortured hello kitties" and whatnot. Fortunately, she has a decent sense of humor...

I can't help but think how horrible it would be if she were a Hello Kitty fan without a decent sense of humor.

OldePhart
02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
I can't help but think how horrible it would be if she were a Hello Kitty fan without a decent sense of humor.

BWAAA-HAAAA - good point!

OldePhart
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Scoring update - with 45% of the ballots in we have a pretty good spread of votes. While we don't have any ties in the top three right now we don't have any "run away" winners, either.

John

Dan Uke
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Well - Here's a bonus for Latin Week...I submitted an entry for that week but wasn't really latin at all and didn't like it so adding this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbdU2o3mRgM

OldePhart
02-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Well - Here's a bonus for Latin Week...I submitted an entry for that week but wasn't really latin at all and didn't like it so adding this one

Very nice...and a sweet uke, too.

OldePhart
02-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Uh, oh, we just developed a two-way tie at second place and a six-way tie for third - puppies and kittens and baby seals are in danger! :)

John

TCK
02-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Uh, oh, we just developed a two-way tie at second place and a six-way tie for third - puppies and kittens and baby seals are in danger! :)

JohnNot the PUPPIES! Oh the humanity...

chrimess
02-28-2013, 12:12 AM
No worries about the baby seals, they are all with Heidi Klum.

John

we tigers
02-28-2013, 12:27 AM
anyway, put my vote in. that was quite hard with all these brilliant entries. This was an excellent season!

OldePhart
02-28-2013, 07:36 AM
No worries about the baby seals, they are all with Heidi Klum.

Heh, heh. Pretty funny - after I spent enough time at Wikipedia to figure out what Heidi Klum had to do with seals...

Dan Uke
02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Heh, heh. Pretty funny - after I spent enough time at Wikipedia to figure out what Heidi Klum had to do with seals...

Wikipedia is too complicated, just look at the pics :p

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Just voted. So many great entries this week, I couldn't choose three favorites, but I was able to identify three videos that particularly lifted my mood this afternoon. Great stuff, Seasonistas! Thanks, John, for a great Season!

OldePhart
03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks Ralf, and thanks for getting your vote in. I think we're up around 70% of the votes in now. We have a tie at first place, so at least one set of puppy/kitten/baby seal is still in danger!

John

myrnaukelele
03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Okkay- I just finished voting. I'm afraid I had to go with my top five since there were SO many standout entries this week. Thanks again for hosting- it was the perfect theme for this week.

OldePhart
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Okkay- I just finished voting. I'm afraid I had to go with my top five since there were SO many standout entries this week. Thanks again for hosting- it was the perfect theme for this week.

wimp! Heh, heh. Iz okay, I jus' took the first three you listed... :raspberry: Just call me the great decider!

John

OldePhart
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
We're waiting on nine ballots, that's 27 points to allocate. There is currently one point separating first and second, two points separating second and third, and a whole slew of folks within two or three votes of third so every vote counts!

John

ukuLily Mars
03-05-2013, 04:37 AM
"Vote early and vote often."

OldePhart
03-05-2013, 08:25 AM
"Vote early and vote often."

No...just early...this isn't Ohio... :biglaugh:

John

thesillydave
03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
finally watched and commented on all videos and pm'd my top 3....another wonderful week everyone!

OldePhart
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Just a reminder that voting closes at midnight Honolulu time, this coming Sunday night. We still have five folks who haven't voted and only four votes separate first and third!

Don't make me call your parents! :)

John

OldePhart
03-11-2013, 04:54 AM
Okay, would the following five people PM me their mailing addresses, please?

Filipino Uker, Ukelites, Raygf, Chrimess, and Ukuloonie

OldePhart
03-11-2013, 05:17 AM
...Oh, I bet y'all would like more information... :)

We had a great week - lot's of entries and no one was a loser by any means. The voting started out very well spread out and I was afraid I was going to end up tossing puppies and kittens off of roofs onto those poor baby seals to break the ties but in the end there were no ties at the top of the stack.

However, there were only five votes separating 1st and 4th - so it was a close ball game.

BTW, I couldn't order these prizes until I knew the shirt size of first place so I'm going to change the rules again. It was going to be a shirt for 1st place, cap for 2nd, and sticker for third. Since the shirts, mugs, and caps are all about the same price I'll let first and second place choose which they want. Third is still stuck with a sticker, sorry. If you decide on a T-Shirt let me know your size when you PM me your address.

Filipino uker received the most votes - please choose a shirt, ball cap, or coffee mug.

The Ukelites received the next most votes - please choose a shirt, ball cap, or coffee mug.

Raygf was third and will be receiving the sticker.

Chrimess won the Lucky Dog award which I think is pretty fitting. I actually did that drawing Saturday night and I got downright giddy when his name came out of the hat. Not only is it fitting with Christian being the Daddy of the seasons, I think he shares my sense of humor so he will probably enjoy the prize and all the more if he drinks coffee. Unfortunately, it was late, I was tired (might explain the giddy part), and I forgot to turn the stupid video camera on for the drawing. Actually, that's probably best, for me, 'cause now I don't have to post myself looking like a dope - oh, wait, I do that all the time anyway...

As for Ukuloonie, I decided that he deserved a "best supporting cast member" award for all the work he's done keeping things rolling along and keeping playlists up to date for hosts who are buried in work and so on. I hope you drink coffee (mug should be here in a couple of days and I'll update with a picture when it gets here).

Thanks again to everybody who participated - there were no losers and I had a hoot. I just wish I could have been more active with comments and such but this project at work is grinding me down. Speaking of which...

John

pootsie
03-11-2013, 05:56 AM
Great job, everyone. Thanks to our entertaining host!

Dougf
03-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Congrats Filipinouker, The Ukelites, Raygf, and Chrimes, all well deservered, and thanks John for a chance to revisit some of the previous fun seasons.

thesillydave
03-11-2013, 06:25 AM
congrats winners and everyone who entered! thanks oldephart! another fun season!

chrimess
03-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Congrats, Guys and thanks for hosting John.

ukuLily Mars
03-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks, John, for a wonderful Season! It was really fun to catch up on a week we had missed (in my case, the first time I had tried and failed to work up the nerve to post a video!) and to see which weeks everyone else wanted to revisit! Couldn't be happier with the results. T-shirt, mug and sticker are well deserved. Definitely karmic for Chrimess to win the Lucky Dog award! And yay Ukuloonie! Lots of awesomeness all around, starting with Oldephart.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Congratulations to filipinouker, ukelites, and raygf on well-deserved recognition from your peers! Congrats to the luckiest dog chrimess! Congrats to the great ukuloonie!

Great week of music, everyone! Congratulations to all! Thanks for taking us for a ride in your time machine, John! Now we need to get back... to the future!

Dan Uke
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Great job everyone!!

Raygf
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Thank you John for a most excellent season. This idea needs to be revisited (more than once!). So much good music to share. Thanks to everyone who entered. Congrats to filipinouker, ukelites (a special thanks for inspiring my entry), chrimess and ukuloonie.

filipinouker
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Eeeek. Really??? It must be down to kazoo-lovers :)

Hearty congratulations to The Ukelites, Raygf, Chrimess and Ukuloonie!

And many thanks to our lovely host, OldPhart, for giving all of us a second chance to bring home the bacon!

OldePhart
03-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Eeeek. Really??? It must be down to kazoo-lovers :)

Hearty congratulations to The Ukelites, Raygf, Chrimess and Ukuloonie!

And many thanks to our lovely host, OldPhart, for giving all of us a second chance to bring home the bacon!

BTW, your inbox is full! Please PM me whether you'd like a shirt or a ball cap, and if a shirt, whether you'd like the men's or the women's fitted T-shirt and if the latter whether you prefer white or pink and if your choice is any of the shirts let me know the size. Oh, and your mailing address!

Thanks,
John