Season 53 of the Ukulele - Second Chance to Bring Home the Bacon!

OldePhart

Reaction score
Season 53 of the Ukulele – Second Chance to Bring Home the Bacon

I have created a playlist and bonus list so far for this week, P.M. me to Let me know If I have missed you in the lists

Season 53
Bonus Songs

Thank you Drew!

Wherein we look back over the past year and say, “wow!” The “six seasons” challenge that Christian conceived has really gone places!

So, here's the idea – pick any season from one through fifty-two, that you did not enter, and create an entry using the theme and all the rules from that season except as (possibly) amended below:

1) The video must be a new video created for this season (season 53) and you must state that in the video (beginning, middle, end, I don't care where) along with mention of the season's theme you are using. So, for example, something like “this is for season 53 of the ukulele, my second chance to bring home the bacon for season nine.”
2) Only one official entry, please. Your first submission will be considered your entry unless you explicitly say that it's a bonus track. You can submit any number of bonus tracks but please make it clear that they are bonus tracks so we don't get them mixed into the official list and confuse the judges.
3) The prize(s) will be the prize(s) for this season, not for the original season.
4) The entry cutoff date is midnight Sunday night (February 24th) Hawaii time.
5) I don't think that we have anyone who has entered every season from one through fifty-two but if anyone has achieved that then the reward for their diligence is that they get to choose from any season without restriction.
6) Judging and prizes will be handled as described below.

A few notes...
1) Unless you had an official entry in every season, you can only choose a season where you did not have an official entry (if you had only bonus tracks for that season that's okay).
2) Except as noted above, all rules from the original season apply. So, if the season you choose happened to be one of those rare seasons where multi-tracking was allowed then feel free to multi-track, otherwise, no multi-tracking, dubbing, splicing, etc.
3) Note that many of the early seasons were thin on explicit rules, they pretty much assumed that the rules Christian set for the original “six seasons” would be followed. That convention should be followed here, as well. If you are using a season that didn't say much about rules then assume that the original rules apply.

Judging:
Y'all are going to judge this season. The way we will do this is simple, if you submit an entry, you're also a judge! After the cutoff for entries passes I'll wait up to two weeks for entrants to PM me their top three choices (in no particular order, I won't torture you by asking you to rank the top three). I'll tally them up and announce the winner(s) after the two weeks or as soon as all entrants get their picks to me, whichever comes first.

If you vote for yourself I'll assume that you are very humble and feel that your entry was so terrible that you think one point should be subtracted from your tally.

There will also be one “lucky dog” award wherein I pull a name from a hat (“Hey, Rocky...”)

Anyone who fails to PM me their top three choices within the two-week judging window will not be eligible to win anything. I won't remove their entry from the season entry list or anything drastic like that, they just won't be considered when I tally up the votes. (I'll PM anyone who hasn't gotten their results to me a couple of days before the window closes, just to make sure we don't have any incidents if the forum hiccups or something.)

I will break ties by dropping a puppy and a kitten off of a tall building and seeing which one bounces the highest off of the baby seal below... Oh...all right...be that way then, I'll do something boring like flipping a coin!

Prize(s):
There will be at least one prize...er...memento plus the one for the “lucky dog.” There may be more. It depends on what I come up with in my hunt for prizes suitable for the contest theme. I have a couple of ideas already. I can promise they won't be anything particularly valuable, but will be fun, appropriate, and easy to ship internationally should that be necessary (darn, that eliminates an ukulele made of bacon strips). I'll update the thread as I acquire “prizes.”

Update:
Okay, I was hoping to have pictures of the prizes by now but they aren't finished yet - the bits and pieces have been ordered, though. First place is a plush pig holding an ukulele (pig is on order and I'm having to make the ukulele). Second place is a baconesque ukulele - again, something I'm making. And third place is a bacon fan sticker. The lucky dog prize is on order but I'm going to keep that one secret until the great reveal.

Sorry to have been such a bad host - work is really interfering with life right now. I am now off to begin reviewing videos

Last edited:
I can't tell you how many seasons have come and gone that I WISHED I could enter but didn't have the time. If I miss this week, I will punch myself in the face, because you have given us the option to go back in time! What a brilliant way to start off the new year!

Oh J-Peg, please come back! And don't forget to vote in the Seasons Extravaganza!

Super duper, John, which season does the Back to the Future theme fit into?
I was afraid you'd make us do Happy Birthday or Auld Lang Syne.

BTW: Do they really believe in 2nd chances down in TX?

Great minds think alike! The 10th Season (Shakespeare/Earth week) is one of the two Seasons I missed. So this afternoon I recorded a song for the 10th Season. I was going to ask mattydee to post it as a bonus for that week (even though we didn't really start posting bonuses until the 17th or 18th Season). I'll post it as a bonus here instead since I recorded it before this thread was posted and thus it does not say Season 53.

And I do think there are a couple Seasonistas who did not miss a single Season (OnlyUkeThatMatters and sillydave? anybody else?)

Last edited:
Oh J-Peg, please come back! And don't forget to vote in the Seasons Extravaganza!

I've been trying to, but something comes up every week. Last week work literally blew up on me. I tried to spin up a flywheel UPS and it sounded like someone fired a .22 pistol inside the cabinet. Getting that machine back on line got me a 60 hour work week.
However, I never stopped working on the song I was planning to do for Week 47, so I won't need a lot of practice. So I'm hopeful for this week.

Woohoo! Terrific idea, John!

I made a for video every Season except #33. As the (wildly busy) host (that week), I didn't (get a chance to) record a video. One more "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" coming right up.

Where might one find a list of the Seasons? I missed plenty and actually worked up tunes for a few I never recorded and have tomorrow and Monday to get it done.

This is AWESOME! I only found this community in week 32, so there's more than half a year of themes I could choose from!

Where to start? Any suggestions y'all might have knowing my (limited) talents and preferences? Any requests?

Where might one find a list of the Seasons? I missed plenty and actually worked up tunes for a few I never recorded and have tomorrow and Monday to get it done.

You'll find the entire lists on the two stickies at the top of the Seasons of the Ukulele subforum under Contests.

This is AWESOME! I only found this community in week 32, so there's more than half a year of themes I could choose from!

Where to start? Any suggestions y'all might have knowing my (limited) talents and preferences? Any requests?

How about "Sympathy for the Devil" for Heaven and Hell week? :)

I have missed more than one, but only one in which I worked on the song day and night. I played it a billion times and never got it right...
So it sat.
I think most would agree that it was best that it faded away into obscurity as we trudged on...but I was happy to see I could try it again.
I did- I played it fifteen times, and finally decided that winning was the least of my worries.
My nod to Season 43, Charlie Poole and MCA.

At least laugh- it will make me feel better.

Well, since I didn't start participating in the Seasons until late November, I feel like a kid in a candy store with LOTS to choose from! This is going to be fun, thanks for the great theme! :D

My entry for Eugene's Woody Week Season seven -
oh hang on -
My entry to OldePhart's Second Chance to Bring Home the Bacon Season 53.
My Peace - words by Woody - melody by Arlo

hey guys!

This is me totally hacking the thread to remind you all to vote in the seasons of the uke end of the year extravaganza. The thread is here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?76885-Seasons-End-of-the-Year-EXTRAVAGANZA!

All I need is a ballot with your favorites (yes, plural) in each category. And if you don't have favorites in each category, then just your favorites (yes, plural) in some categories. And if you're not in the mood to come back through 52 seasons and find your favorites, then just send me some identifying information, i.e., username, video title if you remember it, week theme if you remember it. We really need votes! People's Choice Video is currently a seven-way tie!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. Sorry anyone I irritated!

Last edited:
Great theme John :) ive only missed the first six weeks (the original seasons, although i was following the the comp from the beginning) so i am going to choose week 5, I have a few songs in mind :)
Looking froward to everyones songs this week :)

Oh this is just great, thanks for this one - I had a really busy time approaching Christmas where I missed loads of weeks, and I only started about week 31 or something like that, so lots to choose from! it's a great idea, looking forward to everyone's entries, as ever, and to having a go! Woohoo!

Top Bottom