Need help deciding on new Tenor Ukulele

whiskey_biscuit

Reaction score
Can you guys help me decide on my next step up ukulele? I currently have a $79 Lanikai LU-21C concert ukulele. Ive been playing about a year and Im ready to step up to something closer to mid-range. Im also going for a tenor this time just to have something different. My price range is up to $250

Right now Im lookng at these:

Lanikai CK-T Tenor Ukulele (Koa Laminated) $239

Kala Tenor Ukulele KA-STE (solid spruce) $218

Lanikai designer series LSM-T Tenor Ukulele (solid mahogany) $248

Ok Im not able to test any of these out so Im going by what other people can tell me, and my own gut instinct. Im pretty sure I dont want the spruce top since spruce tends to give more of a bright and twangy tone especially on and instrument this small. I always thought ukuleles should sound soft,warm, and melodic with nice overtones like what you think of whenever you think of hawaiian music you know?

My other question is why would the solid mahogany and laminated Koa be just about the same price? Even if the Koa is laminated, is it possible it sounds just as good if not better than the solid uke? Im just curious how they can be the just about the same price. Anyway, any advice on which uke I should go for (even if its not on my list) would be great. :music:

I don't know if spruce tops gives more of a bright sound, but I'm a big fan of spruce topped ukuleles. I've played versions of all three ukes you've listed and I personally like the spruce topped tenor the most. I believe koa and mahogany also give off a brighter sound so most ukes seem to lean toward the bright end of the spectrum (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you want a warmer/darker sound, I think cedar top is the way to go. Cedar topped ukes cost more for some reason though. The least expensive cedar topped tenor I can think of is the Kala KA-KTE CT, and that's almost $100 over your budget.

As for the cost question, I think the reason laminated koa costs as much as solid mahogany is because even the really thin koa used for laminated boards cost a lot, so they have to charge for it.

I have a solid mahaghny and a solid koa uke and the mahaghany sounds better. I've never played a Lanikai so I don't know how they are but alot of people on here have them so I am asssuming they are ok.

If your looking at the Kala's You should add the KA-ASMT to your list.
It is an all solid Mahogany Tenor and sounds very nice I like it better than the Spruce Top/Mahogany it has that warm all over Mahogany sound without the brigtness of the Spruce.
I have the Maple/Spruce Kala Tenor.

https://www.kalaukulele.com/KA-ASMT.htm Kala list it at 270.00

These guys have it at 208..
http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/ukuleles.html

I didn't see one on MGM's ebay store.

I would get one if I didn't want a Pono Tenor to match my Pono soprano.

It depends on the specific ukes in question. Koa is rare. Mahogany ain't cheap. Some Mahogany instruments aren't mahogany. Are you talking solid or laminate? To say all of something is better than all of another is way way way too big of a generalization.

It's kinda hard to find an uber ukulele in that price range, (I would recommend a Kamaka instantly) but have you considered KoAloha ukuleles? Good stuff. Of course, you can't really go wrong with a Lanikai. (though I would go for Koa rather than Mahogany)

Last edited:
Call MGM and he can probably give you the best deal in the price range you're looking at.

Top Bottom