Which of these strings to try first on my new Kanile'a concert?

LutzSpearo

Reaction score
So I have my new Kanile'a premium concert, and a few different packages of strings I want to try. Here's what I have:

1. Worth Clears
2. Worth Browns
3. Ko'olau Golds
4. Ko'olau 'Alohi
5. Living Waters (on the way, should have in about one week)

I got the new bridge pins in that I want to put on, and figured I go ahead and throw on a different set of strings at the same time. Which strings do you think I should try first?

I understand strings are personal preference; I'm not asking for "what is best" as I know there's no definitive answer to that question. Just curious what you guys would try first if it was you. I'll eventually try them all. Thanks! : )

Worth Browns would be first for me. You are right, try 'em all. Be sure to give time for the strings to settle/break in before switching out. You might even record a tune with each set and play it back after you have gone through each set. I usually find I know the right string for a certain uke when I hear it/play it. Good luck and let us know the winner!

Try the ones that come on your Kanile'a first. I think mine came with Aquila strings. Give it a good week or two, and then choose another set. I started with the Aquila, then strung it in Low G with a non-wound Worth Clear. Decided I liked reentrant better on the Kanile'a because it sounded so sparkly and bright. I usually love Worth Clear, but preferred the Aquila on that uke. I just put on Living Water Strings, and I am letting them settle in. I have high hopes for them since I have liked them on my other ukes. I haven't tried Ko'olau. I would only use Worth Browns if I wanted to soften a harsh tone, and I don't think you will have that problem with a Koa Kanile'a.

–Lori

Thanks for the input guys and gals. I decided to try the Worth Clear (CM) strings. The whole installation process went pretty smooth, except the original plastic bridge pins were a little difficult to remove. However I don't think I damaged the ukulele at all, which was my biggest concern. The strings are stretching now, every couple of hours I tune it up again. So far I like the sound, from what little I've been able to play.

I did realize after the fact that one package is suppossed to make two sets of strings. I just looked at the material I have left, and I doubt I will be able to get another set out of them unless its on a soprano. Next time I will be more thoughtful in how I install them, being careful not to waste any material.

Fitted Living Waters to my Kanile'a tenor yesterday. All I can say is wow.

ETF :cool:

My answer would be a question - "how does the uke sound with the stock strings?"

If it's a bit on the bright side, and you'd like to keep that character but with maybe a bit less "in your facedness" - I'd try the Ko'Olau Gold strings first.

If I'd like to brighten it up and make it a little more chimey - I'd try the Worth clears first.

But...I'd probably not rest until I'd tried the others (and maybe a few more) too...

Edit to add: Oh...and uke552 has a very good point - make sure you let them stabilize to the point where they will hold tuning through a whole set of songs before you judge each set. I've seen the intonation up the neck change significantly from when strings are first installed until they will hold a tune through a set - and usually for the better.

John

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice John. So far I like the Worth Clears over the Aquilas. They feel thinner and somewhat smoother to play. I like the sound, but I'm not sure how to describe it. I think they produce as much "volume" as the Aquilas, but sound a little more clear to me, I guess is my initial impression. I plan on trying many sets over the next several months, its kind of fun seeing the differences. However I will certainly give each set time to settle and will enjoy the expereice with each set, I'm thinking of switching them out every month.

Top Bottom