looking for a new uke..

joezane

Reaction score
hey.
i'm looking for a new uke. my dream is to find a small bodied, skinny waisted soprano like those made by the original 3. like a repo of an old espirito santo.
mmmmmm. :love:
the closest i've seen (other then going for a custom built one like mark occhionero's beautiful uke) is the kepasa medeira. but with his delivery times hovering around may 09 for stock models, it's pretty much like just getting a custom uke built.

i'm wondering, does anyone know of any other good alternatives?
any other uke makers producing those lovely skinny, tiny bodied sopranos?

Kepasa is a custom built uke. I have a Kepasa Gypsy Rose that I waited 16 months for but its definitely up to par with other Custom built ukes.

Right now, the only makers of those Santo/Dias/Nunes reproductions are custom builders as far as I know.

yep. i've been eyeballing that kepasa medeira for a while now and may finally just suck it up and go for it.
i just don't know if i can handle the wait. i was hoping there might be something out there already.
i'm sure i'd be happier with a custom uke anyway.

i guess i'm just an instant gratification kinda guy...
;)

You could also keep an eye out for an actual vintage one. There's usually a few of the sweet narrow waisted 20's Kumalaes etc on Ebay.

The hardest part is taking the plunge on something you haven't played and may need some work to get into fighting trim. I keep looking, but I'll probably wait until we're in Hawaii again and find a vintage one I can play myself.

I've also considered a custom too because I'd love to have a uke with those same proportions but in a concert scale. That would be sweet. There's just something much sexier about that elongated figure eight...

well, speaking of kepasa...
if you like the narrow waist in a concert size, have you looked at the kepasa hollywood?
that's a fine looking instrument.
i'd like really like it a soprano though.

i keep my eyes on ebay for the real deal all the time, but i've had bad luck with vintage instruments off ebay too may times.
besides the REALLY nice vintage models are WAYYYYYYYY out my price range!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jose-Do-Espirit...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I dunno, MGM does have a "make offer" button. You could always offer him the same amount as the Kepasa and see.

Worst he could say is "no" (or maybe something stronger that ultimately have the same outcome.)

Top Bottom