FS Sideways 8 Monkey Pod Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
FS Sideways 8 Monkey Pod Tenor - SOLD

For sale is a solid wood tenor built by Luthier Andrew Gibson of Tampa, Florida. Andrew uses local, eco-friendly wood in his instruments, including this uke with a body made of from Florida Monkey Pod wood. Other features are a radiused rosewood fingerboard, rosewood pin bridge, mahogany neck with carbon fiber rod. There is white celluloid binding front and back as well as a strap pin. The head stock has the Sideways-8 Inlay and Gotoh sealed gear tuners. The lower bout also features an end graph. It has a very shiny Tru-Oil finish. Nut and saddle are corian. Currently the uke is strung with Savarez strings and includes a gig bag. The tenor is a very light build, has nice low action, and a big voice with warm tone. It was built in the latter half of 2012. I am the first owner and bought it from Andrew in December 2012.

The uke is mint condition as received from the builder. However, I want to point out some of small finish flaws, for potential buyers. It has a thin top which helps provide excellent sound; but it does show a little bit of dishing in front of the bridge, and some brace shadow (only noticeable in raking light). There are a few tool marks/ small scratches on the uke (see pics next post). Also there are chips on the head veneer at the nut (see pic next post). I assume that happened when the nut was installed. Binding is seamed at the lower bout, instead of under the neck (see pic next post).

The uke is very light, loud, and resonant, a very chimey (harp/bell) sound with some depth with the Savarez strings. I have several wonderful tenors, so I am making tough choices and thinning the collection. I am not 100% sure I want to sell because this uke sounds so different from my other ukes.

A more recent sound sample
https://www.box.com/s/q00litfe0a2elqclysmy

SOLD,
includes padded gigbag, and will be well packed.

Pics
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
That really is very nice. I'm saving for another uke at the moment so I can't buy, but I hope you get what you want for it, or better still, change your mind and keep it.

I really wish this was a concert size, and I had the money.
What is the width of the nut ?
I agree, it does sound different than other ukes, you should keep it.

I really wish this was a concert size, and I had the money.
What is the width of the nut ?
I agree, it does sound different than other ukes, you should keep it.

Andrew makes concert sizes, if you're interested in a Sideways 8 concert.

The nut width is the standard 1-3/8 inch.
Yes, I waffled back and forth on selling it. But I'm trying to thin my collection.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for a future purchase.
Andrew makes concert sizes, if you're interested in a Sideways 8 concert.

The nut width is the standard 1-3/8 inch.
Yes, I waffled back and forth on selling it. But I'm trying to thin my collection.

Aloha Doc,
wow you are making me drool....oh darn....I am getting a uke made now and money is tight...hope all is well as you are unloading your precious babies...have a nice weekend and happy strummings.. this should bump it up to the top again:)

Aloha Doc,
wow you are making me drool....oh darn....I am getting a uke made now and money is tight...hope all is well as you are unloading your precious babies...have a nice weekend and happy strummings.. this should bump it up to the top again:)

Aloha Stan,
Thanks for the nice comments. All is well here. I'm just thinning the collection, as I acquired several tenors in the last couple months.

Sorry to see your selling it. I definitely stole your sound sample.

Andrew don't be sorry. It's a nice uke. I enjoy playing it. I'm just reducing number of tenors, and saving up for 6-string.

$385 shipped!

pushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smileybounce:

Last edited:
Still for sale?

I am very interested if this is still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom