How many KoAloha Customs are there in Existence?

soupking

Reaction score
Obviously, I'm not expecting there to be an exact number, but does anyone have any clue? I'm hoping MGM can weigh in. I'm assuming there are many custom Kamakas floating around; with the company having been around forever. And Kanile'a seems to have several custom level instruments on the market, readily for sale, especially in recent years. Then we have Ko'olau, which, to my understanding, is pretty much a full-on custom shop to begin with, so thusly it would seem that there are lots of them out there.

We always hear about the Black Label KoAloha customs, yet they appear to off-the-grid, so to speak; in that there isn't any readily available info about them via the web. Of course, Consitter has that sweet Black Label that master luthier Paul built, but outside of that, one would be hard-pressed to find any available info regarding these exquisite gems.

From what I know, there are the Black Label level instruments that are entirely constructed by Paul, the Red Label ones, made by staff, and recently I read something on here, that Daniel (nongdam) mentioned, stating there's going to be a new class, White Label, also constructed entirely by Paul? Am I wrong? I could be, but that's why I'm inquiring. I adore KoAlohas, and I own a Red Label, which I'm told was built by Alan Okami (see this thread
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?71483-Its-Mango-season-in-Hawaii-check-out-this-juicy-Mango)

Anyway, I'm just looking for some info. Again, I love KoAloha and am so interested in everything about them. Any info would be appreciated. What I'm really hoping for is for any owners to jump in and show us some custom KoAloha love!

I think the vast majority of the customs either end up in the hands of professionals or collectors in Japan. Unobtainable for mere mortals except for the most patient of us. ):

Just came back from the factory tour and Paul does not build the black anymore. They will eventually make a white label made by Paul

I wonder who's going to make the blacks if Paul isn't making them anymore. I would settle for a purple.

Just came back from the factory tour and Paul does not build the black anymore. They will eventually make a white label made by Paul

I think the vast majority of the customs either end up in the hands of professionals or collectors in Japan. Unobtainable for mere mortals except for the most patient of us. ):

That sounds like as good a guess as any. Plenty of pros play them and also I've seen a bunch via that Baan Ukulele website, too.

Thanks for the update, Daniel. Hmmm I reckon the Black Labels will only be even *more* valuable now. Not that anyone would've sold one off to begin with...

Thanks for the update, Daniel. Hmmm I reckon the Black Labels will only be even *more* valuable now. Not that anyone would've sold one off to begin with...

I know Blacks are made by Brian and Gris but I don't know if there are more luthiers. I'm not sure when Paul stopped making those.

I know Blacks are made by Brian and Gris but I don't know if there are more luthiers. I'm not sure when Paul stopped making those.

I'm going to guess mine was about the last Black Label Paul fully made. The only thing not done by Paul was the installation of the pickup, which was done by Brian. He became a world traveler shortly thereafter and couldn't have had time to do many. But when I asked him mine was somewhere around the 50th he'd made. He also said he could turn out one about every 1-2 months if he was allowed to take time to work. Bear in mind that he also cuts nearly all the wood for the ukes made in the production shop. And to prove it, he's lost part of one fingertip and a slice out of another.

Here's a link to pics of my black label out of my photo album in my profile.

Oh yeah, forgot to say that mine was finished in Jan 2011. Was started in May 2010.

Last edited:

Actually the reds are made by Brian and Griz. At least they were in August when I was there and talked to Paul. I actually saw Griz working on one of the reds in the shop that day.

Is it true, Scott and Daniel et al, that Papa actually makes the Pineapple Sundays himself?

Yes. He does about 90-95% of the work. That's true of Pineapple Sundays, the Scetpres and the Jukaleles.

all the signature series ukes which is supposed to be 7 total. I wonder if the Japanese flag uke counted as one of the signature series ukes?

Yes, it counts as a signature uke. I spoke with Pops about it in August. It was number 4.

Alright. I knew that the 4th was supposed to be introduced but never heard an official word. Now I know. One day I want to own one of each signature series uke. I've owned two...but let both go. Of course one was given away partially.

Alright. I knew that the 4th was supposed to be introduced but never heard an official word. Now I know. One day I want to own one of each signature series uke. I've owned two...but let both go. Of course one was given away partially.

It's sold basically overseas. But it is available at HMS. LINK

Top Bottom