Kamaka Neck Question for you K Lovers

pdxuke

Reaction score
Of all the ukes I have owned and played, Kamakas and Martins are my favorites.

My question is about the neck on the Kamaka barry.

There was a thread earlier asking about the comparisons of Pono and Kamaka barry's.

I played a Kamaka tenor today, and the thin, comfortable neck reminded be exactly of my vintage Martin tenor. Delicious.

So my question is, are the barry necks on the Kamaka about the same as their tenors?

Thanks!

I only have one brief encounter comparing their tenor and baritone with which to base my judgement, but the necks did feel similar. It's possible that perhaps the nut width on the baritone was a touch wider, although it could've just been the width of the frets on the longer scale. Neck thickness, though, did feel similar...

Wow - I'm amazed that you consider the Kamaka neck profile to be like a Martin. My Martin baritone has an extremely thin neck profile - more like a Collings - not at all like a Kamaka - at least in my experience of them.

Duk

Hi Duk;

Very much so. Of course the Martin is smaller, but compared to other tenors I have had in hand, much closer. I have only played a Collings once, and can't remember, but take your word for it. I played the kamaka today and came home and played the Martin and the feel was similar to me.

I have no idea about the Baritone, which is why I'm asking. I love everything about my Favilla except the thick neck. It's comfy, but not as comfy as I imagine the Martin Barry to be. If the Kamaka Baritone is anything like the Kamaka tenor, then it will be closer to the feel I want than the Favilla.

Curious about it. So, you have played a Kamaka Baritone and it is substantially thicker to you than the Martin?

No, unfortunately I can't answer that. Relevant to the discussion I've only a played a couple of Kamaka tenors, a couple of martin tenors and a martin baritone. The Martins all had very thin neck profiles, I would describe the Kamaka as medium or medium thin - nice though. The Collings tenor neck is very close to the Martin neck profiles I've played - and of course they're consistent. I don't know how similar all Martin tenor or baritone necks are, I haven't played enough of them to say. Certainly martin guitar necks from the pre-CNC era vary some.

I have played several Kamaka Baritones...and I have only one now a white label....and the neck is thick thick... ha ha
I love my Martin Baritone because it has a slim and fast neck profile....also I played several others too...oh another K
brand Kanilea custom made slim neck too(not owned)... of course I have a few chinese baritones too...which I like too..

Top Bottom