Looking for the perfect strings for my Covered Bridge concert

we tigers

Reaction score
Since a few weeks I'm the proud owner of a beautiful redwood and myrtle concert uke. It came with Worth Clear strings that were pretty good, but I wanted to try a few others. I had some Worth Brown lying around, so yesterday I put those on. The sound beautiful. Really nice. They add warmth and character. They are however thinner than clears and the tension seems a bit higher. The set is basically the same as the soprano sets, so maybe that's it...

I think I would like it if the browns were fatter with a little less tension. What strings can you recommend me?
Is it possible to put on a tenor set of Browns on a concert? (Maybe that's a solution...)

Hi, we tigers. Isn't your Covered Bridge like mine--with string through design? Mine was with WOrth Clears, but I changed them to Aaron's Custom strings from HMS, which are high tension strings, thinking if I'm ever going to use them, this would be the uke to do so. Well, they are great strings, high tension (even has a warning on the website--lol) but no issues at all bc of the strnig through design. I love them.

I think these are the ones, unwound set.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/aaron-strings-tenor.html

Ko'olau Mahana and Gold strings are both great. Both have mellow tension and warm, balanced sound. The Mahana strings get the deep, mellow sound I love most from my Kamaka. The Gold strings have a more balanced sound, but they can be tricky to tune---more temperature-sensitive than many uke strings; once they're in tune, the Golds sound and feel terrific.

Ken will be happy to supply the sustain monster aka Living Water strings- pretty much same diameter as Worth CT.

I'm interested in the soft strings by South Coast.anyone familiar with those?
Michael I'd try a couple...the light mediums (code: LMU) and the soft-light mediums (SLMU). The first is a slightly brighter set while the second are a bit fatter and a touch warmer, but they both 'feel' really great. I have a feeling one of these sets would be a nice fit for your CB. If you were after a bit more tension you could always go up to a standard medium gauge or soft-medium set.

That said, Dirk Wormhouldt is simply the best man on string advice. Shoot him a PM here (southcoastukes) or an email through his website and specify exactly what kind of sound you're after.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the soft strings by South Coast.anyone familiar with those?
Michael, I've used the SC Medium Soft to lessen the brightness of my Mya-moe mango super soprano. They did just that. Like them a lot.
If you are looking for fat strings that feel good, try Alohi. But the strings have a bright sound.
I put Nyltech on a Boat Paddle spruce top for a little warmth, they also have a good feel.

BTW I really like the Worth CT strings on my Covered Bridge cedar-top tenor.

A big +1 for Southcoast Light Mediums or Light Soft Mediums. They can give you that little less tension and still provide a terrific balanced sound.

Yesterday my new southcoast strings arrived. I put on soft mediums. Wow! What a great set of strings. Fatter than others which I like very much (hey, I'm a bass player), and a warm sound that's just what I was looking for. Just great!

I think the Worth CM's are already pretty warm on my CB redwood top concert. Wonder how it sounds when it's even warmer when strung with the Southcoasts! :)

Does anyone ask the maker(s) of an instrument if they have tried other strings on their creations, or why they use what they do, or whether tenor strings should be put on a concert? Were I a builder I would have something in the owner's guide which would cancel all warranties if tenor strings were placed on any size smaller.

Top Bottom