Vintage Martin Resources?

teruterubouzu

Reaction score
I am planning for my next uke. This one will be a soprano.

My heart wants a vintage Martin, but my brain doesn't know nearly enough about them. Can anyone point me to good resources for learning more about the different models, price ranges for years/models, challenges of owning a vintage instrument and the like?

I am also considering getting a Kiwaya KTS-4 and then later getting a vintage Martin. The main reason is I'd like an instrument that I wouldn't have to worry about. Do you use a vintage instrument as your main player? Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Aloha Teru,
What does that mean....I know that is not your name:) he he anyways the ukulele site does good setups...here is for your Kiwaya http://www.theukulelesite.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=kiwaya+kts+4
as on vintage martin, it is hard to select one just by model or uke...best to try them before you buy....Good Luck.... but most sound good, even the base model style O's happy strummings

Hi there.
I'm lucky enough to own a 60's Martin and a Kiwaya KTS-4 and can honestly say that I prefer the Kiwaya.
It is so light and resonant, it really sings. The Martin has that lovely woody bark to it though, so I suppose it depends on what you're looking for? I wasn't able to try either before I bought them but was lucky to end up with two fine ukes.
A good argument to get both I reckon!

I have a Kiwaya KTS-7 and three vintage Martins. You certainly can't go wrong with a Kiwaya.
I do play my Martins or my vintage Gibson more than any of my other ukes, but I mostly play at home. I have taken them on road trips and played at uke club meetings, but if I was playing publicly or traveling a lot, I would be a lot more likely to use the Kiwaya. I'm actually thinking of having a pickup installed in it just in case I ever get to the point where I play in front of an actual audience.

My Kiwaya concert, and my prior Kiwaya tenor, are quieter than my Martins. I like a tad louder. I actually, Chris, have been thinking like you--maybe getting a pick-up in the Kiwaya at some point (I have two ukes with pickups already--Mya moe passive and Koaloha tenor active--but I don;t have a concert with a pickup).

I think I read around here somewhere that someone's impression was that the Ohana SK-35 and/or SK-38 sounded more like a vintage Martin than the Kiwaya KTS-4 does. Anyone?

I actually meant to say this in my first post about the Kiwaya...
If you think you want a vintage Martin, then go for it. I absolutely love all three of mine. They sound fantastic and they have character. Don't be in a big hurry, and try to shop around. If you can play them ahead of time, that's best. That said, however, I bought all three of mine without playing them first. The first one (the Style 2), I bought from Elderly Instruments after about a half hour phone discussion comparing three different Martins. The other two were eBay finds (as was my Gibson).
My Style 3 had a couple of tight cracks that I got repaired (they weren't too bad or expensive). That wasn't surprising considering its 80-some years spent in a rear-loading soft bag. The Style 2 from Elderly had several repaired stable cracks when I got it. The Style 1 (which is a good twenty years younger than the other two) was nearly perfect.
Well-repaired (or easily repaired) cracks wouldn't stop me from buying a vintage instrument as a player. I suppose they might affect collector value, but I want them primarily to play.

Well-repaired (or easily repaired) cracks wouldn't stop me from buying a vintage instrument as a player. I suppose they might affect collector value, but I want them primarily to play.
Agree with Chris here.

PDXUKe on UU, THom, will be listing an Ohana 38 soprano for sale soon, and invited inquiries now:
COMING FOR SALE: Ohana SK38, SK35, Martin S1, Mainland Banjo Uke (his signature). Much less expensive than Kiwaya.

Ukulelezaza playing an Ohana SK38:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kgQE1AaM5A

PS No promises a Ken Middleton designed SK38 will have you playing like Remco. lol BUt at leeats his is the only youtube Mr Sandman tutorial for uke where the "bells" (which is really the girls singing "bom bom bom bom bombom bom...") are actually played on the instrument; everyone else seems to hum that part.

Last edited:
I have a vintage Martin that I bought a while ago and had become my main player. I only really play around the house and treat it very gingerly, but it is holding up very well and does not seem any more fragile than other ukes I have or have had. I have never played a Kiwaya except briefly at a music store so I have no input as far as that goes. Here is a thread about vintage ukes that I stared, which got thoughtful replies from people here at the UU (including some people who have commented on this thread). Good luck, I'm pretty sure that whether you chose Martin or Kiwaya you will end up with a great uke.

I love my vintage Martin (1930). It has a lovely sound is definitely the nicest sounding soprano that I've played. It wasn't particularly expensive as things go. It has a repaired top crack that is very nearly invisible and otherwise in lovely shape. It doesn't strike me as particularly fragile, so I play it as much as any of my ukes. The Style 0 ukes are still reasonably priced for vintage ukes. I'd recommend picking one up if you have a Martin jones; should you ever change your mind, it will sell easily and might even appreciate in value.

I have a vintage 30's/40's Martin style O. It is wonderful, and like others have said, it is not fragile. I take mine with me to jams and I don't worry about it. These were meant to be played and Martin made A LOT of them. I wouldn't take it to the beach or camping, I've got others that I wouldn't be so upset if they were banged around a bit. However, if you want a vintage Martin, go for it and play the heck out of it.

I have a vintage 30's/40's Martin style O. It is wonderful, and like others have said, it is not fragile. I take mine with me to jams and I don't worry about it. These were meant to be played and Martin made A LOT of them. I wouldn't take it to the beach or camping, I've got others that I wouldn't be so upset if they were banged around a bit. However, if you want a vintage Martin, go for it and play the heck out of it.

:agree: This.

Buy one. Play the heck out of it. When you're done--pass it on to the next player/collector. They will buy it.

Be afraid of the vintage Martin.....be very afraid. Don't buy one!!! Leave them all for me :)

Just kidding of course. The vintage Martin is a very well made instrument, and as others have stated above it was meant to be played. I have not owned a Kiwaya soprano, but I did have a Kiwaya concert ukulele (which I did not play a great deal so I sold it). The Kiwaya was a fine instrument, but my preference would be the vintage Martin. I doubt very much that if you buy the Kiwaya you would take it to the beach or on a camping trip either. The chances are good right now that you can buy a good vintage Martin for slightly less money than a new Kiwaya if you are patient and shop around. Either would be a great instrument so it just depends on whether you believe you prefer new or vintage. No reason to be afraid of vintage though.

Just kidding of course. The vintage Martin is a very well made instrument, and as others have stated above it was meant to be played. I have not owned a Kiwaya soprano, but I did have a Kiwaya concert ukulele (which I did not play a great deal so I sold it). The Kiwaya was a fine instrument, but my preference would be the vintage Martin. I doubt very much that if you buy the Kiwaya you would take it to the beach or on a camping trip either. The chances are good right now that you can buy a good vintage Martin for slightly less money than a new Kiwaya if you are patient and shop around. Either would be a great instrument so it just depends on whether you believe you prefer new or vintage. No reason to be afraid of vintage though.

I just saw two vintage Martins, an 0 and style 1 go on ebay this week for less than $425. Cosmetic issues, maybe a crack, but my guess is great players.

under $500: http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/40309/index.php
..gone over by the best Martin set up shop in the US, if you ask me.

A kiwaya KTS4: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kiwaya-kts-4-mahogany-soprano-ukulele--KTS4.htm
Prettier? Yes. Sound good? You bet. I owned one. SOLD IT. Know why?

...because my Martin vintage instrument sounded like a Martin, and I wanted a Martin sound.

Kiwayas sound like Kiwayas, and that's a great sound.

But vintage Martins--at least to these old ears--have something special. There is NO substitute. Not even a modern Martin sounds as good (although they are very good.)

So, you have to decide what sound you want, weigh it against the cosmetics, and go.

You can also get beautiful vintage Martins. I have an almost perfect one:
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/33126/Extra.php

I paid $800 three years ago. Did I over pay? Not to me I didn't. To others--yes. I'm happy with my purchase because it is what I wanted.

My views on playability v. collectibility are maturing. I would have no problem buying a less that cosmetically perfect Martin now--it's the sound I'm after.

I just saw two vintage Martins, an 0 and style 1 go on ebay this week for less than $425. Cosmetic issues, maybe a crack, but my guess is great players.

under $500: http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/40309/index.php
..gone over by the best Martin set up shop in the US, if you ask me.

A kiwaya KTS4: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kiwaya-kts-4-mahogany-soprano-ukulele--KTS4.htm
Prettier? Yes. Sound good? You bet. I owned one. SOLD IT. Know why?

...because my Martin vintage instrument sounded like a Martin, and I wanted a Martin sound.

Kiwayas sound like Kiwayas, and that's a great sound.

But vintage Martins--at least to these old ears--have something special. There is NO substitute. Not even a modern Martin sounds as good (although they are very good.)

So, you have to decide what sound you want, weigh it against the cosmetics, and go.

You can also get beautiful vintage Martins. I have an almost perfect one:
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/33126/Extra.php

I paid $800 three years ago. Did I over pay? Not to me I didn't. To others--yes. I'm happy with my purchase because it is what I wanted.

My views on playability v. collectibility are maturing. I would have no problem buying a less that cosmetically perfect Martin now--it's the sound I'm after.

What he said.

Bernunzio has a 1930's Style 1K (that's right, a koa Style 1) on special this week for $995... someone should grab that.

Top Bottom