PDA

View Full Version : Name YOUR top three ukes

Steedy
02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
First of all, I don’t intend for this thread to disparage or disrespect any ukulele brand or builder. There’s an amazing variety of ukes on the market, and each one is perfect for someone, somewhere, in some setting, so this isn’t about the best or the worst ukuleles, nor is it about the top three ukes on your wish list. Who’s to say which is the “best” uke, and each of us probably has a current favorite that varies from week to week, or even day to day. For those who own three or more ukes, this thread is about which of your ukes you would rank 1, 2, 3, using any criteria you like.

Here’s my top three:

#3. Pono RTD, purchased from HMS - This a Tenor uke with top, back, and sides of solid Rosewood; one of only eight built. I love the big beefy neck, and I think it has a warm, clear tone. I just love playing it. It has a passive pickup installed, and I imagine if I were a performer, this is the uke I would want to play onstage.

#2. Kamaka HF-2L, purchased from HMS - This a Longneck Concert uke, with top, back, and sides of solid Koa. What can I say, it’s a Kamaka. The build quality is amazing, and it has a bright, crystal clear sound, with excellent intonation. The only drawback is the Schaller sealed gear tuners. They seem a little sloppy and imprecise, compared to Grover geared tuners. I wish Kamaka would use Grover geared tuners instead of the Schallers.

And now, in the top spot (drum roll, please):

#1. Maestro Mango Concert, purchased from dreamukes.com - This a Concert uke, with top, back, and sides of solid Mango, and it's currently bumped my Kamaka from the top spot. The build quality is very high, and it has Grover open geared tuners which are very smooth and precise. But mainly, I love its tone and the way it plays. With 12 frets to the body, it feels relaxed and has that dreamy, creamy island sound that I love. Intonation is spot on, and it has a sound port on the side that adds to its volume when I play it. I just love that mellow Mango sound.

For full disclosure, I also have a couple of Big Island Honu ukes, which are pretty awesome, and I have a half dozen Oscar Schmidt ukes, all of which look good, play nicely, and are a good value in their price range, plus I have a half dozen Makala Dolphins and one Mahalo Smiley Face uke, all of which are tons of fun, although some are better than others. But for now anyway, none of those ukes come close to my top three.

Edit: Almost forgot my Sailor Brand uke, purchased at the Uke Republic store in GA, USA, which is a sweet little Soprano that deserves an Honorable Mention.

So what are the top three ukes in your collection? :)

haolejohn
02-18-2013, 05:36 PM
hmmmm. I will stick with currently owned ukuleles and not previously owned...

current:

3. Mainland Red Cedar concert-2nd I got from Mainland Mike. It was cracked and glued back. I got it for classroom and camping uses. Hard to beat this beater.

2. Mele Redwood top/koa back and sides tenor-I got it from Mele. Left it in GA so not to chance it getting damaged. Redwood is a very sweet sounding tonewood.

1. KoAloha concert. I was given this ukulele by Papa KoAloha himself. I gave it away once to someone else, but then we traded back. I gave the guy my sceptre for it and a little bit of cash.

All owned ukuleles:

3. KoAloha SuperConcert
2. KoAloha Sceptre
1. KoAloha concert

pdxuke
02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I can only comment on the three I'm playing most frequently at present. Because it will change.

Martin 1940s Tenor
Martin Style 1 Soprano (50s)
Favilla Baritone, c57ish

It gets warmer, and I'll be gravitating towards that Kamaka pineapple...

coolkayaker1
02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Pohaku All Koa Baritone dGBE

Martin 1940 1 Concert

Martin 2M 2012 Soprano

pdxuke
02-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Pohaku All Koa Baritone dGBE

Martin 1940 1 Concert

Martin 2M 2012 Soprano

Don't know what a Pohaku is, Steve. Point me to a picture?

RichM
02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Don't know what a Pohaku is, Steve. Point me to a picture?

Oh, are you in for a treat:

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/

pdxuke
02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Oh, are you in for a treat:

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/

very cool!

erivel
02-18-2013, 06:00 PM
My Pohaku, my other Pohaku, and my HF1...they are all my #1!

coolkayaker1
02-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks, Rich. Yes, Peter's gallery is worth a look. Mine is in the photos above. I played it tonight, in fact. It's a jewel, an absolute jewel. BUt it also plays so darn perfectly. It radiates sound. Ideal sound, truly. I adore it. I really do. Eric V. turned me onto these..and Jay and Ginny and Craig Robertson and a few others have them. Thanks, Eric, btw!!

Rich, what are your three favorites?

pdxuke
02-18-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks, Rich. Yes, Peter's gallery is worth a look. Mine is in the photos above. It's a jewel, an absolute jewel. BUt it also plays so darn perfectly. It radiates sound. Ideal sound, truly. I adore it. I really do. Eric V. turned me onto these..and Jay and Ginny and a few others have them. Thanks, Eric, btw!!

Rich, what are your three favorites?

Suh-weet! Custom?

Lexxy
02-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Custom Willie Wixom Cedar / Rosewood tenor ukulele.. I only have 1 uke :)

coolkayaker1
02-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Suh-weet! Custom?

No, Peter just makes them as he has time, and if my buddy Eric doesn't run down to his shop and snatch them up in person before he can list them, he puts them for sale on his website, Thom. :eek: Aint that right, E?

NewKid
02-18-2013, 08:17 PM
#3 Martin 2K Soprano
#2 Mya-Moe Mastergrade Koa Baritone
#1 Collings UT 2K

But it's probably really 1&2 tied for first and #3 is 2nd.

justinlcecil
02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
1 uke is all you need if its a Wixom =)

Patrick Madsen
02-18-2013, 08:51 PM
My Griffin tenors and Martin Baritone. Also a Moore Bettah would be ideal.

808boy
02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Aloha,
#1- Wixom #124 B&D Special Custom Tenor
#2- Pono PKT-6E Koa 6-string Tenor
#3- Mele Double Puka, Slothead, Koa Tenor
Have a bunch of other ukes but these are pretty much my go to ukes.............

TheCraftedCow
02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Only Three?
#1 A Shawn Hines Bloodworks spalted curly maple soprano or a Marc Schoenberger Ukiyo Smeck Vita soprano.

#2 #19698 (1923) Martin T-18 Adirondack spruce top mahogany Tiple or a 1929 Dobro claro walnut Dobro resonator single cone mandolin strung as dD Gg bB ee aquila tenor strings. Both in original cases

#3 A Giannini 10EL tenor body concert neck cavaco strung gCEA or an Oscar Schmidt OS 5EL concert koa or a 4 of 5 Lehua all mahogany concert ukuleles which were not cost effective to put into production.

erivel
02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
No, Peter just makes them as he has time, and if my buddy Eric doesn't run down to his shop and snatch them up in person before he can list them, he puts them for sale on his website, Thom. :eek: Aint that right, E?

I plead the fifth!

consitter
02-18-2013, 10:23 PM
That's easy. I only have three that are mine.

#1) KoAloha Custom Tenor. Solid koa body and neck. Milo bridge, fretboard, headplate, and bindings.

#2) KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Solid koa body, sapele neck. Koa fretboard.

#3) KoAloha Soprano. Solid koa body, sapele neck. Koa fretboard.

Linho
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
All my ukuleles are great, but since I only own 4 really good ones (mentioned in my signature), the choice is easy for me. :D

#3: Kanile'a Island Tat Tenor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QkK2KUv_Hs) – great ukulele in all ways, don't have to write more, but quite easily exchangeable. :rolleyes:

#2: Hulabox Sopranino (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3TY1PY3R_s) – great playability, nice tone, and a very high sentimental value (engagement). :o

#1: aNueNue Harp Ukulele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVhyWK8EMw) – it's not a uke, it's not a harp, it's a harp uke. Hardly replaceable. Incomparable fun to play. ;)

Cheers,
Linho

(Btw, great thread! Love to read the other posts!)

ukuhippo
02-18-2013, 11:44 PM
1. Makala Dolphin

2. Makala MK-B

3. My next uke

we tigers
02-18-2013, 11:53 PM
My top three are basically the three ukes I own...

03. Pono MT-E
02. Kiwaya KTS-4
01. Covered Bridge redwood and myrtle concert

guitharsis
02-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Love all of my present ukes but the top 3 have to be the most recent. In no particular order: G-String C1 Sun Concert, Kamaka HF-2 Special (3A),
Kanile'a K-1 Concert Premium

ukeeku
02-19-2013, 03:12 AM
3. Boat Paddle concert 12 fret 5-string
2. David Gill Concert Pineapple
1. Kanilea K-1 prem 8-string

Others that did not make the list
David Gill Aromatic Cedar tenor fluke
Ohana Sopranino

Skinny Money McGee
02-19-2013, 03:15 AM
#3 Martin 2K Soprano
#2 Mya-Moe Mastergrade Koa Baritone
#1 Collings UT 2K

But it's probably really 1&2 tied for first and #3 is 2nd.

Lol NewKid, looks like you answered your own question about diminishing returns on the other thread you started :D

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?77088-Ukulele-law-of-diminishing-returns

stevepetergal
02-19-2013, 03:15 AM
After owning two Kanile'as, not a Kanile'a. After playing about fifty Kamakas, not a Kamaka.

1. I'll keep my Koaloha concert.
2. Still want a Mya Moe concert, with a 1 1/2" nut and flat fret board, (Koa w/ Cedar top, Gloss finish)
3. Chuck Moore concert (again 1 1/2" nut, flat fret board.)

dhoenisch
02-19-2013, 03:24 AM
I have quite a few ukes and a constant rotating stock, but only two are going to remain keepers, at this time. So,

#2, 1950's Harmony baritone, all solid mahogany
#1, 1920's no name solid birch soprano (slightly smaller than your average soprano)

I'm hoping to one day make my Donaldson concert part of the top three list. Still on his waiting list though. But, as they say, good things come to those who wait.

Dan

connor013
02-19-2013, 03:34 AM
3. Bruko spruce/walnut soprano
2. Pono MB
1. Timms 0

Great thread.

morvenkoh
02-19-2013, 03:44 AM
Well... I only have 2 ukes now, Kala flame maple travel tenor and another Kala all solid Acacia Tenor.

So here it goes:
#1: Kala all Solid Acacia Tenor
#2: Kala flame maple travel tenor

Of coz, my dream uke will be a Moore Bettah! Imagine there is a beautiful mermaid inlay across the fretboard with the long fin extended to the sound hole... Lol.... But I think it will never come true, Moore Bettah uke is just too far away from me I guess...

guitarsnrotts
02-19-2013, 03:59 AM
#1 - my early 70s Kamaka Soprano I got for a steal

#2 - KPK Acacia Concert; great sound and easy to play, my everyday uke

#3 - my newly acquired KPK Deluxe Acacia Pineapple Soprano; sounds very much like the Kamaka and has a
beautiful koa-like grain and flame.

whatevershebringswesing
02-19-2013, 04:02 AM
Albert, Arnold & Jemima

DaleR
02-19-2013, 04:22 AM
1. Kala Bass Baritone, tuned EADG
2. Kala uBass, with Ahkweelah Thundergut strings
3. Makala Pineapple
runner up: Makala Dolphin Noir:shaka:

Steedy
02-19-2013, 04:25 AM
Wow, lots of awesome ukes mentioned here to aspire to!

ksiegel
02-19-2013, 04:40 AM
#3 Ohana Vita Uke/ Fluke Tenor/Firefly Banjo Uke (Tie!)
#2 Kala Cedar Top Concert
#1 KoAloha Sceptre

Will this list change in the future? Certainly! I only have 13, after all.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Fun thread. My top three:

3. Mele solid mahogany double-hole baritone (stylish looks; a deep, sweet sound)
2. Kiwaya KS-0P (thin body, laminate uke with great sound and playability---the perfect travel/around-town uke for me)
1. Kamaka HF-1 (I keep loving this wonderful uke more and more.)

jackwhale
02-19-2013, 06:17 AM
For the past two months I have been rotating between these three.

1. Pohaku koa tenor. Its the 'whale' on Peter's website gallery. The kayaker got the Pohaku baritone I was lusting after.

2.Martin mahogany baritone--1960s. I like my other two baritones but the woody sound of this old Martin is unique--sounds really good with several C tuned ukuleles.

3. Lately the third instrument in rotation is my 1963 flamenco (Juan Pimental--Mexico City). I know. This shouldn't count on a ukulele list but when played with only four string chords like a baritone uke, its long sustain is wonderful.

coolkayaker1
02-19-2013, 06:36 AM
1. Pohaku koa tenor. Its the 'whale' on Peter's website gallery. The kayaker got the Pohaku baritone I was lusting after.

2.Martin mahogany baritone--1960s. I like my other two baritones but the woody sound of this old Martin is unique--sounds really good with several C tuned ukuleles.

lol Call me green--brother Jackwhale got the lusty Pohaku tenor and Martin baritone!

byjimini
02-19-2013, 06:48 AM
#3 - KoAloha Tenor Sceptre

Bought from Southern Ukulele Store here in the UK, I've not seen another for sale over here, so I'm glad I spent 800 on it. A koa body with a very striking shape, this uke has got me gigs on that alone, just so more people could see and hear it. Very loud, almost lute-like voice.

#2 - Kamaka HF-38 8-string Tenor

Bought from a fellow UU member in Hawaii on Boxing Day 2011. I sincerely hope the money he got for a mortgage downpayment has bought him as much pleasure as this uke has done for me. Sounds a little like a mandolin in places, and features heavily on my album.

#1 - Compass Rose Tenor

My all-time dream uke. I first saw MusicGuyMic play one of these on his Youtube channel - flamed maple with black trim - just as I was learning to play on my bright yellow Mahalo, and I fell in love. Other woods looked nice but I always wanted flamed maple. A few years later I contacted Rick and he delivered my uke 4 months later, I absolutely love it. It's loud, it's sweet, sounds like a harp, immediate on the fretboard and very striking wood.

good_uke_boy
02-19-2013, 06:54 AM
#3 = KoAloha Concert w/ stock strings
#2 = Kamaka HF-1D Soprano w/ Living Water Strings
#1 = Collings UC-2 Mahogany Concert w/ Southcoast Strings

OldePhart
02-19-2013, 06:55 AM
#3 - a dead heat between my Pono mahogany baritone (MBD) strung "normal" dGBE with fluorocarbon trebles and Thomastik-Infeld flat wound basses and my Mainland satin mango soprano. Since it has to be only three picked I'll give the nod to the Pono and an honorable mention to the soprano but tomorrow that could flip. :)

#2 - my KoAloha longneck soprano with "Seaguar CM" strings sits firmly in this spot.

#1...drum roll please - My Mainland satin mahogany soprano strung with "Seaguar CH" heavy-gage fluorocarbon strings.

Other ukes that didn't make the top-three cut include (in no particular order): Kiwaya longneck soprano, Mainland mahogany baritone, Eleuke concert solid-body, Mainland slothead gloss mahogany cutaway tenor, Mainland gloss mango tenor. Ukes that didn't make the "I still have it" cut include some Kalas and Lanikais of varying price ranges, a Mainland red cedar tenor (given to a son-in-law), and a KoAloha concert (nothing wrong with this one, either, I just promised myself I'd sell it when I bought the longneck soprano).

BTW, two of my top three, including the number one uke, are blems so I guess we can see where I fall on the eye candy vs. ear candy scale...

John

Kem
02-19-2013, 06:57 AM
#3: Pre-Covered Bridge (i.e., created before CB was a brand) myrtle pineapple concert: lovely tone, good intonation, gorgeous wood.

#2: Boat Paddle M-style walnut and spruce soprano: beautiful ringing tone, great intonation, unusual shape.

#1: Willie Wixom rosewood and spruce concert with electronics: nice tone and intonation, striking design.

The Wixom has lately supplanted the Boat Paddle as my go-to uke, mainly because the BP has developed a persistent rattle that really bothers me. However, the BP's tone is still the best I've heard. The Wixom's tone is different but also lovely. The last owner sold it because it was too bright, but I don't really find that. When I first got it, it was unplayable, as it had developed a back-bow; a cunning luthier fixed it, and it has become my main performance uke.

vanflynn
02-19-2013, 07:11 AM
The only one worth mentioning is my Kamaka Tiki.

I'm waiting to hear from Stan. He only gets to pick three and I bet one has a fishy inlay.

OldePhart
02-19-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm waiting to hear from Stan. He only gets to pick three and I bet one has a fishy inlay.

I bet he is curled up in a ball mumbling to himself... :)

John

sukie
02-19-2013, 07:30 AM
I'll play --

#3 -- my Flea.
#2 -- my Lori Espanol concert
#1 -- my Moore Bettah super-concert..

CanuckUkeMaui
02-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Aloha,
1. Mele 6 string concert...koa top, mahogany back, sides
2. Kamaka Pineapple ...2011
3. Kamaka Lili'u 6 string tenor ...1970s White Label...well worn by previous owner

didgeridoo2
02-19-2013, 10:17 AM
#3) Pono MBD.
#2) Mya Moe sinker redwood/koa resonator.
#1) William King koa tenor. This one took a while to get to know. Superb.

#2 and #1 are almost interchangeable. So different, but great for what they do.

Hippie Dribble
02-19-2013, 10:38 AM
3. bruko walnut soprano
2. black bear macadamia soprano
1. ono mango concert

Kamanaaloha
02-19-2013, 11:10 AM
All of mine are #1...they all play differently and I like them equally...

My HF-3L because of its uniqueness and roomy frets...great sound...and beauty
My HF-2L because it was my first...its uniqueness...and its Tenor neck
My K1-TP because of its chocolate wood...its finish...its brightness...and its "eye candy" appeal
My KTM-00 for its warm and bright low G sound...and its difference to all the others I own...

PeteyHoudini
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
1) new Martin 3 cherry soprano

2) new Martin style 2 soprano

3) new Martin style 3 soprano

Yep, dem's dee brakes! hehe

Petey

good_uke_boy
02-19-2013, 01:51 PM

Thought I'd add: Before the string changes, the KoAloha was #1.

Nickie
02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
My Kala mahogany concert, 1,2, and 3...
Looking forward to a new Pono concert or a Moku concert soon...
then maybe a Sailor concert...or that one with a name I can never spell...
then, perchance to dream...a Moore Bettah concert... it all depends on how skilled I become, and of course, how many dead presidents the Universe bestows on me...

Nickie
02-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Stan the Man...will we hear from you?

OldePhart
02-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Stan the Man...will we hear from you?

I heard he was curled up in a ball under a pile of uke cases muttering to himself... :)

Steedy
02-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Dear Stan, if it helps, you can name your top 30 ukes! :cool:

uker62
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
My Top Three

#1 - Mya Moe Curly Koa Classic Tenor # 524: I love this one for its awesome tone and warmth.
#2 - Mya Moe Sycamore Resonator Tenor #647 : Bought it to play finger style blues and clawhammer. Unbeatable.
#3 - Ohana Vita. Just because its so cute and loud.

LifesShort
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Easy for me because I only have three:

1) Pono Acacia Tenor Electric
2) KPK Acacia Tenor
3) Koloa Mahogany Baritone

tomthebaptist
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
3. Pono
2. Richard Young... a local luthier in Greenville, SC
1. Loprinzi

hammer40
02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't have many, but my list would be:
1) Compass Rose Claro Walnut tenor
2) Pono AT
3) Big Island Mango tenor

My only other uke is a Pono spruce/mahogany baritone, which sounds awesome but I'm struggling with the size, so it doesn't make my list.

PTOEguy
02-27-2013, 07:04 PM
1. Pono MT - It is the most versatile uke I own
2. Flea Concert - low action and a joy to play - if it had better fret markings it would be #1
3. Pono MB - it is a definitely different sound and it gets me a range of different keys that I can play.

the only one not on the list is my Islander - which got me hooked on this ukulele thing, but probably needs a little set-up work that I'm to chicken to do.

pdxuke
02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
I can only comment on the three I'm playing most frequently at present. Because it will change.

Martin 1940s Tenor
Martin Style 1 Soprano (50s)
Favilla Baritone, c57ish

It gets warmer, and I'll be gravitating towards that Kamaka pineapple...
Told you it would change:

Current Top Three:

Favilla Baritone, c57
Favilla "Blue" 1930 Soprano
Martin Style 1, c50s

paw123los
02-27-2013, 07:52 PM
1. Makapili Koa Tenor - it just sings!
2. Donaldson Koa Tenor - a real beauty and perfect uke to use on stage
3. Sideways 8 Guanacaste Tenor - very different sound, very comfortable to play

That's for the moment - I'm thinking about buying another instrument so the list can change.

Dan Uke
03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
I wanted to wait and play my ukes for awhile to make sure

1) Moore Bettah Tenor - Easily the easiest uke I've ever played...Awesome combo of looks and sound. Brought my skill leve up another level
2) Luis Feu de Mesquita Tenor - Best sounding uke I own but needs smaller neck width to make it easier to play so ordering a custom Adi / Macassar
3) Kamaka Longneck Concert Special - Has so many upgrades and rich history that the "Special" name is appropriate

Steedy
09-03-2013, 04:42 AM
Well, my top three ukes have changed. When this thread started my Kamaka Longneck Concert was number two, but since then I've acquired a Kanilea Concert and a KoAloha Concert. Now my top three are (drum roll please):

#1. Kamaka Longneck Concert
#1. Kanilea Concert
#1. KoAloha Concert

It's a three-way tie for first, with my other ukes feeling dejected, rejected, and neglected.

I'm gonna stop buying ukes now, because my credit cards are groaning. :(

NewKid
09-03-2013, 04:49 AM
#1: Luis Feu de Mesquita tenor
#2: Mike Pereira Custom tenor
#3: Mya-Moe baritone

LFDM is from another world. MP is opening up and getting awesome. I was going to add a couple more baritones but the Mya-Moe will be all I need.

mattydee
09-03-2013, 05:03 AM
1. Talsma custom 'Hollywood' concert
2. Mainland cedar-topped baritone
2. Lanikai spruce-topped 8 string

The Talsma is my go-to uke. I have a few songs that sound best on the bari or the 8 string, so those are next. The others that float around are to keep things interesting.

glass
09-03-2013, 05:34 AM
Lately my 3 have been.

3. Ohana Sopranino
2. Krabbers Uke
1. Sailor Cherry Concert Spruce top!

Gillian
09-03-2013, 06:38 AM
#3. My KoAloha longneck soprano.

#2: My Kamaka longneck concert.

#1: My Compass Rose tenor. Giant sequoia top with black walnut sides, back and neck. No other uke I own comes close to its clarity, loudness, sustain and ease of play.

Telperion
09-03-2013, 06:58 AM
#1 - Moore Bettah koa tenor
#2 - Ko'olau Model 300 redwood/koa concert
#3 - Black Bear macadamia soprano pineapple

-Steve

ukster
09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
#1. Kamaka soprano white label.
#2. Jack Clark sm. soprano.
#3. Bushman Cedar Tone soprano.

Stevelele
09-19-2013, 11:51 AM
1) Moore Bettah custom tenor -- the best there is, maybe the best there ever will be
2) Tie-- LFDM tenor sunken redwood top, macassar ebony back/sides or William del pilar baritone (rock maple back sides, west german spruce top)--my local luthier--a crazy genius
3) Tie-- Casey Kamaka made Ohta San, Casey Kamaka made Mango tenor

Did I just cheat?

Patrick Madsen
09-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Moore Bettah for his quality skills and grounded soul.
Griffin Ukes for his wonderful woods and contagious enthusiasm of anything uke.
Vintage Martin for their thin, fast low actioned necks and pride shown in building a quality instrument that is still played and loved many years later.

Benscience
09-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Only been playing seriously for a few months, so at the moment:
3) Ray Cowell "Olympic" concert, mahogany and oak from sister ship to Titanic (tenor on order)
2) Kala Curly Mango concert - creamy smooth sound
1) Kanile'a K1 concert

OldePhart
09-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Can really only place top two:

1) Mainland mahogany soprano
2) KoAloha longneck soprano

After that there are several that bounce in and out of third depending on my mood.

John

elwyn
10-03-2013, 12:00 PM
#1 - Willie Wixom solid Koa pineapple shape concert with tenor size neck.

#2 - Fender tenor

#3 - Kala thin travel tenor

guitharsis
10-04-2013, 01:23 AM
1) Moore Bettah custom tenor -- the best there is, maybe the best there ever will be
2) Tie-- LFDM tenor sunken redwood top, macassar ebony back/sides or William del pilar baritone (rock maple back sides, west german spruce top)--my local luthier--a crazy genius
3) Tie-- Casey Kamaka made Ohta San, Casey Kamaka made Mango tenor

Did I just cheat?

Wow! What a great collection. Now I know why it was possible for you to part with your Casey Kamaka made Ohta San.

UkeKiddinMe
10-04-2013, 01:28 AM
2. Riptide Baritone
1. Epi Les Paul

Yup - both low end, but tons of fun for me. No high end desires here.

teruterubouzu
10-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Here's my list right now.

#3 My mainland red cedar tenor. He's named Watty. Only in the third spot because I am still learning the basics and my fretting hand is having trouble with the size.
#2 K-Wave Tele - because it's adorable and fun.
#1 The Ohana SK-38 I purchased from pxduke. At first it was intimidating because the action and scale were so different from my kala concert, but now I love it. Like I said, I'm still learning, but this one sounds fantastic when I'm having a good day. Guess that means it deserves a name now.

cigarfan
10-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Based on those I have now ...

3. Kamaka HF-4 (Baritone)

2. Mako Tenor

1. Kanile'a Concert

sugengshi
10-04-2013, 03:40 AM
My list of top three will be:
#1 Mainland RC7-C Red-Cedar Concert
#2 Kamoa E3-T Tenor Yellow Solid Spruce
#3 Kamoa SM-P Pineapple Solid Mahogany

I also own one Ohana TK-20 Tenor Solid Mahogany, one Pelem Teakwood Soprano and one Kaka Peace Soprano.

Mattyukaholic
10-04-2013, 06:53 AM
3) Kiwaya KTS7 soprano. Really nice old timey sound. Tried all sorts of strings and came back to Orcas.
2) Martin style 0 soprano 1920s. No bling. All sound. It's old and beaten up but sounds better than any uke I've ever played. The narrow bar frets make it play like butter.
1) LoPrinzi custom koa soprano. I LOVE this ukulele. If I could only keep one this would be it. A lovely sound, lean neck and it looks pretty. My go to ukulele.

Coconut Willie
10-04-2013, 06:57 AM
#1. Kamaka
#2. Kanile'a
#3. Makala

.....that's all I have!!!

GeorgeUke
10-04-2013, 07:15 AM
The Kiwaya KTS7 and the Loprinzi Herb Ohta are my main ones, Kiwaya being my #1. After those two my aNueNue Khaya.

jajafofo
10-04-2013, 07:48 AM
I've only got two, so I'll go with my top two:

1. Pono PC0
2. Lanikai LU-11

greenie44
10-04-2013, 07:55 AM
My list had a shakeup with a recent acquisition -

1 - Collings UT2 K - a dream come true. Fabulous, responsive sound, plays like a dream. The only reason it is not the only uke I play is that I like the 6 string sound (and sometimes 8 or electric)
2 - Lanikai CK-6E - 6 string tenor, Koa cutaway. The uke by my side at my office.
3 - Kanile'a Super Tenor - The Collings has replaced this almost entirely. I plan on making it a low G to give it a place in my playing time.

elwyn
10-24-2013, 03:51 AM
My top 3 - I can only comment on ones I own and actually play -
#1 by a large margin is custom Willie Wixom pineapple concert with a tenor neck. Solid Koa wood.
#2 ultra thin Kala tenor
#3 Ibanez concert

The Wixom is a work of art, super light, with a great sound. I have it strung with a low G and the first word out of most people's mouths when they hear it is "WOW!". A strap helps when playing standing up, but it is so light, and with the pineapple shape it can be easily played while standing without the strap.

glass
10-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Mine are

3-Ohana Sopranino
2-Krabbers-special uke
1-Sailor concert

Five Ways
10-24-2013, 04:18 AM
My three at the moment in no specific order would be.

1 koaloha imaikalani six string 2 koaloha ktm 3 kanilia k1 tenor.

all keepers love em

strumsilly
10-24-2013, 04:40 AM
1. Kanilea gloss tenor.
2.Martin baritone
3. tie, because I just got a new [old] Peter Howlet 8, but I love my Koaloha pikake concert

Leigh Coates
10-24-2013, 04:51 AM
This is hard. I love them all the same.

Collings UC-2
Mya-Moe Concert Pineapple
Pono Tenor

I feel bad not putting the little Casey soprano in there, but I guess I don't play it as much. Maybe because it's a soprano. Turns out I like concert sized ukes and the occasional tenor.

Tootler
10-24-2013, 07:30 AM
My personal top 3:

1. Bruko rosewood concert. Bought direct from Bruko in Germany. This was one of their special edition ukes which they offer from time to time.
2. Bruko No 9 mahogany tenor. This is my newest uke. I bought it from Omega music (UK) at the recent UK Grand Northern Ukulele Festival. I haved tuned it Bb which makes it a bit more mellow as well as reducing string tension, making it more comfortable to play.
3. Flea. Just a great, cheeky, go anywhere uke. Smashing tone, robust and comfortable to play. I don't find the plastic fretboard a problem. I do wonder how long the frets will last though I see no signs of wear so far.

I also have a Solid acacia top Kala soprano, a Banjo Uke and Mahogany U-Bass which didn't quite make my top 3.

bborzell
10-24-2013, 09:21 AM
1. MP Custom tenor - Mango and Cedar

Have to agree with earlier comment. Mine has opened up with increased volume and even balance across strings. Great tone. Can't just pick it up without staring at it for a bit. Still stunning to behold.

2. Pono ATDC (Acacia-Tenor-Deluxe-Cutaway)

About as reliable and consistent an instrument as I have owned. Nice combination off tone, volume and playability. High quality build and beautiful finish.

3. Outdoor Uke and Dolphin - Dead heat for third

Equally fun. The Sea Green Dolphin is a bit happier than the stealth ODU.

Cornfield
10-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Kamaka Tenor
National Tenor Guitar (not really a uke but I love it anyway)
Kamaka Soprano (with Gotoh tuners installed)

manapualabs
12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Liko's Top Three List:

1. Pegasus 8-string tenor
2. `Oiwi 6-string tenor
3. Sonny D 4-string tenor
runner-up: Kanile`a 4 string tenor (Soundmonster)

DownUpDave
01-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Thought this would be fun to bump this back into existence. There were some people missing that need to chime in, ie Doc J and Stan to name just two.

Those that answered well over one year ago how has your list changed.

My three favorites are as follows

Pono ET-PC a tenor with cedar top macassar ebony back and sides. Easiest playing with GREAT sound

Collings UT2 Sunburst, as nice to play and listen to as it is to look at

Koaloha KCM-00, everything a Koaloha is noted for, volume, projection, sustain = tone monster

Peterjens
01-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Impossible to name three - gotta name four - no particular order -
1925 Martin 0
2013 Black Bear Macadamia/Mango soprano
2013 KoAloha soprano
1984 Kamaka pineapple soprano

Rakelele
01-02-2015, 10:41 PM
What a great thread to bring back up! Here are my current favorites:

1) LFdM Cedar/Malaysian Blackwood: deep, rich warm tone, might be hard to beat

2) Pono ETSHC: almost like a custom, with everything you could wish for at a reasonable price (great sound, exotic tonewoods, slothead & cutaway)

3) Kanile'a K1 Concert Premium: best Concert I have come across so far, with beautiful Koa

Looking forward to read about others...!

vonbiber
01-02-2015, 11:45 PM
The 3 ukes I have now:
Martin S1 (the one I play the most)
Ohana SK21 (sopranino, I tuned it in D)
Recording King banjolele (I acquired recently)

good_uke_boy
01-03-2015, 02:05 AM

My current list, after more acquisitions and time:
#3 = Collings UC-2 Mahogany Concert
#2 = Blackbird Clara Ekoa Concert
#1 = Rick Turner Compass Rose Adirondack/Cocobolo Tenor

Runners up are: KoAloha thinline koa tenor, KoAloha koa concert, Pohaku cedar/mahogany concert, Santa Cruz mahogany concert and (gasp) 9 others.

HBolte
01-03-2015, 03:29 AM
Moore Bettah Concert

Kanile'a KPE-C

Martin late 20's Soprano

UkerDanno
01-03-2015, 03:45 AM
that's easy...

#1 Martin C1K
#2 Martin style 0, 1930's
#3 Ohana CK-80

the rest are low end sopranos.

As far as top 3 want list...
1 - Moore Bettah curly Koa concert, rope binding.
2 - Kamaka Ohta-San
3 - Martin Iz tribute

katysax
01-03-2015, 05:32 AM
Current favorites (they do tend to change although these are hard to beat).

3. Ko'olau Custom CS Tenor Rosewood/Cedar
2. Howlett Vita copy myrtle concert
1. Moore Bettah spruce/milo tenor.

strumsilly
01-03-2015, 06:48 AM
wow, this thread goes on and on. ok, I'll chime in
3. Koaloha tenor. my performance uke, with Baggs pu.
2. Favilla baritone.
1. An older Favilla baritone [tuned C with SC] with tons of mojo. I just love the light build and 19 inch scale of these. Super easy to play, wonderful tone. I have and had lots of great ukes, MP,Kanilea,CR,Breedlove,Kamaka,Martin,Kiwaya,Gibso n, etc, but I don't need any more than 1&3.

connor013
01-03-2015, 07:16 AM
3. Bruko spruce/walnut soprano
2. Pono MB
1. Timms 0

Great thread.

Just shy of a year later, I own none of the three listed above. So much for fidelity.

As for this year, down to two:

1. Airline Bari
2. Bruko #1

bassballz
01-03-2015, 08:03 AM
OOOOhhh, let's see....
1. KoAloha Concert
2. Pono ETSH Tenor
3. Big Island Honu Soprano

Cheers!

actadh
01-03-2015, 08:08 AM
I don't think I posted on this last year, but...

My top three this January
1. KoAloha Opio soprano
2. Martin OXK soprano
3. Luna Dragonfly concert

My top three last January
1. Luna Dragonfly concert
2. First Act Discovery soprano
3. Kay soprano with a busted tuner (still busted, too)

lovedcfc
01-03-2015, 08:28 AM
I only have 3:

Kala KA-T
Kala KA-S
Ohana SK-25

Steedy
01-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Ranked by playing time, my faves are currently:

1. Kanile'a K1 Concert Premium - Oasis Brights
2. Kala Michael Aratani Commemorative Tenor - Aquila strings (?)
2. Pono Mahogany Concert Deluxe - Living Waters

All three are strung Low G.

Hippie Dribble
01-03-2015, 08:44 AM
I only have 2 (plus one on loan from my friend John Sargent)

1. Black Bear custom soprano that Duane built specially for me. The only instrument I will never be able to let go. (macadamia wood + heaps of cool appts)
2. Gerard Guasch #10 soprano. (curly maple top. koa back and sides)

and the incredible uke I owned originally, then sold, and now back again with me on loan by virtue of John's generosity

3. Russ Morin handpainted tenor resonator #21 (magnolia wood)

TheBathBird
01-03-2015, 09:12 AM
I only have 4, but I only really play two of them.
My second most played is my Mainland mahogany tenor, but (slightly to my surprise) my favourite is my Martin 0XK. Don't know what it is about that uke, but I LOVE it, every time I pick it up it makes me smile like a loon. It just makes me happy :D

Mattyukaholic
01-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Can't remember if I replied first time around! I've trimmed my collection but still hard. I'd say:
3) Martin style 3m (new Nazareth model) Heaps of volume and deep tone for a soprano.
2) Pono spruce/mahogany pro classic. Comfortable radius. Rings like a grand piano! Tuned in B.
1) Kamaka deluxe concert. Solid koa, plays beautifully. The sound of hawaii to me. Tuned Bb.

Notable mention goes to my Sailor Brand cedar and walnut. I just don't play soprano as much as I used to.

I guess it could change because I just ordered a KoAloha tenor!

NewKid
01-03-2015, 11:26 AM
My Boat Paddle ML-Tenor has taken over the top spot from my LFdM - that is saying a lot!

1. Boat Paddle ML Tenor
2. LFdM Ukaferri
3. Mike Pereira custom tenor

wickedwahine11
01-03-2015, 12:04 PM
1. Hands down, it is my Moore Bettah tenor. Not only does it sound great, but it is the easiest to play and I love it to death. I have not touched another uke since I got this one. It was well worth the (5 year) wait.

2. My KoAloha tenor. It sounds great, is loud as all get out, and I love that Pops had it made for me as a special order - with some figure in the koa and a crown bridge.

3. It is close between the Kanilea and Kamaka but I will give the edge to the Kanilea because it was an anniversary present so it has sentimental meaning.

But there is a big gap between 2 and 3 and a wider chasm between 1 and 2.

Mattyukaholic
01-03-2015, 01:11 PM
1. Hands down, it is my Moore Bettah tenor. Not only does it sound great, but it is the easiest to play and I love it to death. I have not touched another uke since I got this one. It was well worth the (5 year) wait.

Please please can I have your Kamaka on long term loan? ;)

Steveperrywriter
01-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Have three, but one is living at my daughter's:

Woodley White Koa tenor
Alan Carruth Engelmann spruce/osage orange tenor
Michael Zuch Adirondack/tulip magnolia Zukulele tenor

Got a Beau Hannam sinker redwood/rosewood tenor in-progress, hoping to see soon. After that, my UAS should be in remission. Unless a MB comes along ...

PereBourik
01-03-2015, 01:48 PM
1-Blackbird Clara
2-Martin C1K
3-Pono ATD (low G)

Martin T2K has broken my heart and needs a neck reset. Lots of other fun ukes in regular rotation.

fretie
01-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Fun thread.... but when is Mr Stan gonna chime in??!!

My three fav's... oh wait, I only own two Ukes at the moment...

Tied for first place: Kamaka soprano and Koaloha longneck pineapple.

janeray1940
01-03-2015, 05:46 PM
My three fav's... oh wait, I only own two Ukes at the moment...

Ha - I only own three, so I never replied but hey, why not:

Kamaka pineapple soprano, Kamaka concert, and Kamaka Ohta-San. They all pretty much tie for first place but the soprano does get played the most.

kohanmike
01-03-2015, 07:17 PM
My favorite sounding and playing of my pack (all tenor cutaways, see my signature) is the Kala, very close to that is the Uku two hole, then the Bruce Wei custom black mandolele. My favorite looking uke is the Bruce Wei custom gypsy jazz Selmer Maccaferri/Django Reinhardt, hopefully to become one of the best sounding after it opens up.

Hippie Dribble
01-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Fun thread.... but when is Mr Stan gonna chime in??!!

Word just in from Oahu: apparently Bruddah Stan's head exploded when confronted with the option of only 3 ukes. All the poor folks had to carry him down from the pile of 50000 fish he was sitting on. Kinda like the Fonz trying to say "Sorry"...the number 3 kept coming out as 300. Will keep you updated as to his progress in the recovery ward...

Andy Chen
01-03-2015, 08:18 PM
1. Blackbird Clara
2. Boat Paddle A-style custom tenor, red spruce top
3. Collings UT2K

bborzell
01-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Slight change of order for me since i responded 15 months ago.

MP custom tenor is still #1

Pono TE is #2

Pono ATDC IS #3

Patrick Madsen
01-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Moore Bettah Tenor
Griffin Tenor
Webber Baritone

morris3640
01-11-2015, 08:25 AM
1. My concert Port Orford/Koa Covered Bridge uke. Wonderful sound; fun to play
2. My concert Palm Tree ukulele. expensive, wonderful sound; easy to play
3. My soprano Koaloha; great sound as well; my go to when bored with concerts (about once a month)

TG&Y
01-11-2015, 04:20 PM
1. Laminate Oscar Schmidt Spalted Mango Concert
2. Laminate Kala longneck soprano
3. My first ukulele - a little laminate Kala KA-S

I like my various flavors of Mainlands too - however, embrace your inner laminate.

kaizersoza
01-12-2015, 10:26 PM
My top 3 are

3, Mainland Red Cedar Tenor

2, Pete Howlett Cherry Marmite Tenor

1, KoAloha Pikkake Soprano

I will never get rid of these ukes they are all excellent ukuleles and reasonably priced

Fisherman
01-12-2015, 10:57 PM
3: Ono concert - all Koa even the neck
2: Leeward Lounge tenor - redwood/pistachio
1: Joel Eckhaus concert - spruce/maple

drbekken
01-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Right now:

1. Martin OXK Soprano
2. Rogue Soprano (...yes, I know it's the ultimate cheapo, but the one I've got has been modified by me, and I absolutely LOVE it.)
3. (none)

Pukulele Pete
01-13-2015, 02:11 AM
Right now:

1. Martin OXK Soprano
2. Rogue Soprano (...yes, I know it's the ultimate cheapo, but the one I've got has been modified by me, and I absolutely LOVE it.)
3. (none)

What modifications did you make on your Rogue Soprano? Thanks

molokinirum
01-13-2015, 04:08 AM
Kamaka HF-3
Kamaka HF-38
Kanile'a Delux 6 string

drbekken
01-13-2015, 05:20 AM
What modifications did you make on your Rogue Soprano? Thanks
Check my youtube channel. Search 'Rogue Soprano Ukulele Review'. In that video, I explain what I did. I replaced the tuners with new Grover 2b friction tuners, replaced the bridge and lowered the action. The ukulele has good intonation and is a more than decent beater.

snarf
01-13-2015, 06:56 AM
In no particular order:

1) Mountain NU-0 soprano
2) Martin Style 51
3) Kanile'a K1-SC

Pukulele Pete
01-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Check my youtube channel. Search 'Rogue Soprano Ukulele Review'. In that video, I explain what I did. I replaced the tuners with new Grover 2b friction tuners, replaced the bridge and lowered the action. The ukulele has good intonation and is a more than decent beater.

Thanks . I just ordered one. I've been looking for a project. I'm thinking bone nut and saddle , maybe some black lacquer .

drbekken
01-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks . I just ordered one. I've been looking for a project. I'm thinking bone nut and saddle , maybe some black lacquer .

Let's all know how it turns out!

mkatz
01-14-2015, 05:26 AM
1. Moore Bettah all koa concert

2. John S. Kinnard all walnut concert

3. Mya-Moe master grade chocolate heart myrtle super soprano

Mitch

woordt
03-09-2015, 04:37 AM
1. Mele redwood/koa concert

2. KoAloha Opio concert

3. Since my 'night player' Laka VUVS6 is being tweaked by a luthier, my Kiwaya KS-4P get's more playingtime for the time being.

Soundwise my Kala cedar/acacia concert (low G) is high on my list and my very first uke, a Takamine soprano, is an absolute keeper.

DownUpDave
03-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Thought this would be fun to bump this back into existence. There were some people missing that need to chime in, ie Doc J and Stan to name just two.

Those that answered well over one year ago how has your list changed.

My three favorites are as follows

Pono ET-PC a tenor with cedar top macassar ebony back and sides. Easiest playing with GREAT sound

Collings UT2 Sunburst, as nice to play and listen to as it is to look at

Koaloha KCM-00, everything a Koaloha is noted for, volume, projection, sustain = tone monster

Since January I am already changing the line up.

#1 Mya Moe sycamore tenor
#2 Pono ET-PC
#3 Collings UT2 sunburst

Mya Moe easily took over #1 spot, it is that good, but............we have a new edition arriving in a couple weeks I have high hopes for, we shall see.

Icelander53
03-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Pono ET-PC Cedar/Ebony

Gretsch G-9121 cutaway

Risa Solid Body Electric Black.

All Tenor and by "top" I mean the ukes that I'm most excited about at this moment.

blue_knight_usa
03-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Barron River custom tenor with Misi pickup (Tiger Myrtle/Western Red Cedar) - Cairns, Australia
Pohaku custom concert (Curly Honduran Mahogany/Mahogany) - Berkeley, CA.
Compass Rose custom octave with 18v DTAR pickup (Rosewood/Bearclaw Sitka)- Santa Cruz, CA.

Sabantien
03-09-2015, 04:57 PM
I only have two. The first is called Ragnarok, the other is Gretchen.

mm stan
03-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Right now:

1. Martin OXK Soprano
3. (none)
I too love my rogue, did the action and strings. Remember all rogues are not the same some, um I mean a few
Are way better than alot. Consistency was better way before but I have not bought and for few years. Let me
See I must have bought at least 15 of them suckers, most were gifts but I kept the best ones

Hippie Dribble
03-09-2015, 08:39 PM
These are currently my 3 favourites.
W.J.Herringe Concert, Tenor & Baritone.
Bill has built a few of these for me in the last couple of years and these 3 are by far the best to date.

Stunning family Cam. Videos? We, the people, want em y'know :)

Dan Uke
03-09-2015, 08:42 PM
wow 2 years already. update list:

1) koa MBU
2) spruce / milo MBU
3) redwood / milo LFDM

back to my first love...

Dan Uke
03-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Thanks Jon, I am very lucky to have a top luthier for a mate, he builds them just the way I want them.
Here's the Tenor;

Great playing Campbell! When are you gonna get a soprano to complete the family?

Hippie Dribble
03-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jon, I am very lucky to have a top luthier for a mate, he builds them just the way I want them.
Here's the Tenor;

Stunning mate, stunning. Thankyou.

drbekken
03-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Baritone video, Campbell, puh-lease...?

hollisdwyer
03-10-2015, 01:23 AM
Sorry, can't choose three from the four I currently own. (See below)
This set was arrived at by applying the process of sacrificial expansion. I reluctant sold some off to achieve a certain outcome. Not that I didn't love the ones I sold, I just wanted to end up with a varied collection of looks and tone.

Ukejenny
03-10-2015, 04:13 AM
I love seeing everyone's top picks. As I don't have a collection, I can't play, but y'all have some gorgeous instruments!

Ukulele Eddie
03-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Not sure why the pic is sideways. Looks fine when I open it.

1. Collings UC3 Maple/Spruce with Cherry Sunburst Finish (middle)
2. Collings UT2 Doghair (left)
3. LoPrinzi 3K Longneck Soprano (right)

hollisdwyer
03-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Not sure why the pic is sideways. Looks fine when I open it.

1. Collings UC3 Maple/Spruce with Cherry Sunburst Finish (middle)
2. Collings UT2 Doghair (left)
3. LoPrinzi 3K Longneck Soprano (right)

Fantastic looking Ukes those dog hair Collings. What's your take on the difference between the UC3 and the UT2?

Ukulele Eddie
03-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Fantastic looking Ukes those dog hair Collings. What's your take on the difference between the UC3 and the UT2?

Thanks. Yeah, I really love the Doghair, especially with an ebony fretboard (most have rosewood, which to me really fractures the all black/white design).

Sound-wise, these two are quite different in many ways and I really love them both. I had a UC2 mahogany that was also nice and have played other UT2's, but there is something about this particular UT2 that is different in a good way. It has the strong midrange you expect with 'hog, but it has a lot of articulation in the higher and lower registers, more than I've noticed with other 'hog ukes. It is also surprising light. The UC3 has a more balanced voice to my ear, with a nice sweetness to its higher notes. Clear as mud? Haha. I was planning to do a sound sample once I change the stock Savarez strings on the UT2 to Southcoast (same as currently on my UC3). Maybe I'll do it as is and then later do an update.

hollisdwyer
03-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Quite interesting.

shega
03-11-2015, 11:02 AM
1. Kiwaya KTC-6 (concert) with brown Worth strings. most resonant uke I have heard!
2. Kiwaya KTS-6 (soprano) with any string. so light, so elegant, such a joy to hold and play
3. Mainland Mahogany soprano

I also have a Mainland Tenor, but I don't play tenor anymore, but it is quite an instrument too!

hungry4adobo
03-11-2015, 07:34 PM
1. Mele Solid Mahogany Tenor
I play this uke literally everyday. I just really like the warm tone of the instrument especially with experimenting with different string sets which is I use the Low G from Hilo Strings and the CEA strings from La Bella.
2.Kamaka Gold Label Mid 1950s Soprano
When I try to get that traditional old school Hawaiian sound.
3. Fender Nohea Tenor
Even though it is a laminate tenor, I still the vibe that I get when I play it. Maybe its because I have had this uke since I started getting really into the ukulele.

Mooh
03-13-2015, 02:05 AM
There sure are some lovely ukes listed here. Thanks to anyone who posted videos!

Mine are a humble lot. A Kala all solid acacia tenor KA-ASAC-T has become my favourite and has really turned me onto tenors generally. It seemed the best deal in a non-laminate instrument. I suspect I'll be shopping for an upgrade before too long. Second would be another Kala, concert size KA-ASOV-C, spruce top with ovangkol back and sides. The one piece back is a nice touch. After those two I don't have favourites but the Gold Tone banjo-uke is a fun alternative. Besides restringing and adding strap buttons my ukes are stock.

Django
03-17-2015, 01:49 PM
The order depends on the day. Right now it is as follows. Tomorrow may be different.

Kiwaya KMS-K
Martin 3 Cherry
Kiwaya KTS-7

kaizersoza
03-18-2015, 03:24 AM
My top 3 would be:-

3, Mainland Red Cedar Tenor
2, Pet Howlett Cherry Marmite Tenor
1, KoAloha Koa Pikkake Soprano

Steedy
03-18-2015, 05:58 AM
My current top three:

1. Kanile'a Concert
2. Pono Mahogany Concert
3. Kala MGM Tenor

All three are strung low G.

turtledrum
03-18-2015, 06:20 AM
My top three:

1. Blackbird Clara 2015 (with Gotoh tuners) Low g.
2. Pono MTDX8. (8 string)
3. Kala Cedar/Acacia Tenor
Kala Archtop Tenor. Sunburst.

Third was tie.

guitharsis
03-18-2015, 07:19 AM
1.Kamaka Ohta San - low G
2.Kamaka Concert HF-2
3.Kanilea K-1 Concert Premium
KoAloha Concert

#3 a tie.