6' Radius on uke back?

Koa Soprano

Reaction score
This place has a great selection of hollow forms.

http://www.waldronmusic.com/productlist.php?type=&model=Hollow+Forms%2F+Radius+Forms&cat=6

I've never really built with proper forms and would like to get pair. this company offers forms down to 6'. I read Ken's thread where he figures the old Martins were 5'2" with a boat curve, would just a 6' hollow form yield similar results? I want to be able to notice the back radius on my ukes, I think it looks cool.

Sven- large stones or smallish ones ? We have both this. Side of the pond..... Seems like six feet would be severe?

David, I'd suggest that the recurve was an unintended consequence of gluing on the back over two bridged back braces and not having a consistent domed curvature planed or sanded into the rims and kerfed linings. The backs were "tortured" into place. Take a look at the old Ford movie of someone in the Nunes uke factory whipping a uke together. BTW, these were not particularly well fitted glue joints...a lot of the old ukes were using glue as filler. Yeah, not great, but quick.

Sez Rick:
David, I'd suggest that the recurve was an unintended consequence of gluing on the back over two bridged back braces and not having a consistent domed curvature planed or sanded into the rims and kerfed linings.
Yes, I've watched the Ford movie many times, and It is a "movie" but I love the look of the arch on the backs of the old ones nevertheless!

Top Bottom