PDA

View Full Version : Beveled Arm Rest

Dan Uke
02-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Besides Chuck Moore's Uke, have you seen any other ukes with the beveled arm rest?

I assume it would only be useful for tenor or bari and I like how it looks.

dkpianoman21
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I've never seen one before (or even heard of one until I read your post) but I think it would be a GREAT idea! I love the way they look on guitars. To be honest I'm not sure how much it would help you hold the instrument better since it's not that big to begin with, but I think it would be a very classy and sophisticated aesthetic.

Dan Uke
02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I've never seen one before (or even heard of one until I read your post) but I think it would be a GREAT idea! I love the way they look on guitars. To be honest I'm not sure how much it would help you hold the instrument better since it's not that big to begin with, but I think it would be a very classy and sophisticated aesthetic.

I would post a pic but didn't get permission....maybe Chuck could post a pic!! I think it's awesome!! Very time consuming I would think.

hawaii 50
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
I would post a pic but didn't get permission....maybe Chuck could post a pic!! I think it's awesome!! Very time consuming I would think.

go to Chuck's website www.moorebettahukes.com you can see the pictures there

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-19-2013, 01:11 PM
For what it's worth I think an arm bevel serves little function on an ukulele. While they may make some sense on a guitar ukuleles are not generally held in the same manner. It does look cool though but I don't expect them to catch on if only because they are difficult to do well (therefore expensive.)
BTW, I recently saw one from a builder in Japan.
Pics attached for those who don't know what we're talking about.

chrimess
02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
An extreme display in beauty and craftsmanship and, as Chuck says, not ergonomically necessary on a small body instrument.

KimosTherapy
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Besides Chuck Moore's Uke, have you seen any other ukes with the beveled arm rest?

I assume it would only be useful for tenor or bari and I like how it looks.

Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

Check out da bevels on my tenor::shaka:

IMHO - For me, I like da beveled edge on da lower bout cause regulah kine tenor ukes wit da traditional lower bouts cut into my forearms and da buggahs hurt aftah playing fo a couple of hours. AUWE!!! :uhoh:

Stevelele
02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
wow, what is this uke? Is it an m's craft?

Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

IMHO - For me, I like da beveled edge on da lower bout cause regulah kine tenor ukes wit da traditional lower bouts cut into my forearms and da buggahs hurt aftah playing fo a couple of hours. AUWE!!! :uhoh:

Dan Uke
02-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

Bruddah Kimo

Did you get every option possible on that uke? What kind of wood is on the B&S...it's gorgeous. I know you like the unique ones and that's about as unique as it gets!! Congrats

Newportlocal
02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Daniel you are doing horrible things to my UAS and my wallet.:D
You my friend have good taste.

pakhan
02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I tend to agree with Chuck the bevel on a uke isn't as great a gain as say on a guitar- on the other hand a bevel cutaway makes a bit of sense, as it preserves more volume than a 'normal' cutaway!

Dan Uke
02-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Daniel you are doing horrible things to my UAS and my wallet.:D
You my friend have good taste.

Talk about diminishing returns!! I know an arm rest doesn't add to the sound but I sure do want one. My arm gets tired too...I need to somehow justify getting one. hehehe

Did you get your CR yet? I would love to see what carbon bindings look like!

Dan Uke
02-19-2013, 06:48 PM
I tend to agree with Chuck the bevel on a uke isn't as great a gain as say on a guitar- on the other hand a bevel cutaway makes a bit of sense, as it preserves more volume than a 'normal' cutaway!

So does that mean that a cutaway with a bevel arm rest is worse? You keep on putting new thoughts into my mind. :p

Newportlocal
02-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Talk about diminishing returns!! I know an arm rest doesn't add to the sound but I sure do want one. My arm gets tired too...I need to somehow justify getting one. hehehe

Did you get your CR yet? I would love to see what carbon bindings look like!

Alas... No still waiting. Hopefully in the next month.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-19-2013, 07:58 PM
So does that mean that a cutaway with a bevel arm rest is worse? You keep on putting new thoughts into my mind. :p

A cutaway reduces the interior volume of the soundbox. An armrest bevel does as well, although to a smaller degree.

etf
02-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm fairly sure I seen a clip from NAMM showing the new Kanile'a with an arm rest.

Dan Uke
02-19-2013, 08:11 PM
A cutaway reduces the interior volume of the soundbox. An armrest bevel does as well, although to a smaller degree.

So does that means you have to make the depth a little thicker to compensate?

AndrewKuker
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Bevels are pimp

http://andrewkitakis.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/ukeaffari.jpg?w=768

Especially with the miter joints all tight..this one actually adds a counter point to the cut away. modern take a vintage design. Doesnt matter by the way, I have heard many cutaways sound better than the same model without. Whatever difference is overshadowed in other ways. secrets of the universe....

ukeeku
02-20-2013, 01:14 AM
there are a few Kanile'a Islanders that have it
http://ukeeku.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/img_0688.gif

slackkey007
02-20-2013, 02:01 AM
there are a few Kanile'a Islanders that have it
http://ukeeku.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/img_0688.gif

The armrest that Kanile'a is using for their new Islander models seem to be the glue on type similar to this:

Stevelele
02-20-2013, 02:30 AM
woah, is that yours--will you sell it in the store?

Bevels are pimp

Especially with the miter joints all tight..this one actually adds a counter point to the cut away. modern take a vintage design. Doesnt matter by the way, I have heard many cutaways sound better than the same model without. Whatever difference is overshadowed in other ways. secrets of the universe....

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Bevels are pimp

hmmmm..... Just proves that people really do hear with their eyes.

Sometimes as builders we do things just to see if we can do them.. It doesn't mean they are necessary or even practical.

Dan Uke
02-20-2013, 05:50 AM

Sometimes as builders we do things just to see if we can do them.. It doesn't mean they are necessary or even practical.

HAHA...and that' why we love bling!!!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 06:08 AM
HAHA...and that' why we love bling!!!

You may be confusing aesthetic beauty (bling) for uniqueness. I don't see anything especially beautiful about an arm rest bevel, but it certainly is unique.

BlueLatitude
02-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Arm rests just look so beautiful they don't have to be useful too. Now a drink holder, on the other hand.....

KimosTherapy
02-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Bevels are pimp

There you go Bruddah Daniel! Go put in your custom ordah fo your new LFdM uke!!!:shaka:

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 07:07 AM
You may be confusing aesthetic beauty (bling) for uniqueness. I don't see anything especially beautiful about an arm rest bevel, but it certainly is unique.

Nar- it's both if done well, especially the Laskin version (Chuck's pics show the Grit Laskin version, the other is the simpler Ryan version) but perhaps the woodworker in me is talking, not my objective side. Like you said, sometimes we do things just to see if we can.

mm stan
02-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Aloha Chuckie,
We can surely remedy that for sure...put some inlays on the arm rest....hee hee and personalize it even more...wooo hoooo weeeee yipppppeeeee:o:smileybounce:

coolkayaker1
02-20-2013, 08:15 AM

This is so true that it's painful.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Nar- it's both if done well, especially the Laskin version (Chuck's pics show the Grit Laskin version, the other is the simpler Ryan version) but perhaps the woodworker in me is talking, not my objective side. Like you said, sometimes we do things just to see if we can.

Beau, I don't dispute the advantages of an arm rest bevel on guitars. I just don't see much use for it on an uke. Unless you're holding it the wrong way. I've been playing uke for almost 30 years and not once have I thought I needed an armrest bevel for my aching arm! Again, ukeleles are not guitars.
I skill think it is pretty cool if only to show off the skill of the luthier. Customers may think differently when they find out what it costs to have a good bevel installed. Taylor Guitar for instance charges $1400 for this option. They need to charge that much in spite of all of their high tech equipment. Having done several arm rest bevels myself, The novelty has worn off for me. I just think I can better spend my time in other areas of the build.

ukeeku
02-20-2013, 08:21 AM
The armrest that Kanile'a is using for their new Islander models seem to be the glue on type similar to this:

Nope. it is inset to the body

BIGDB
02-20-2013, 08:37 AM
If you watch aldrines 2013 namm for kanilea I think they have them now

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Beau, I don't dispute the advantages of an arm rest bevel on guitars. I just don't see much use for it on an uke. Unless you're holding it the wrong way. I've been playing uke for almost 30 years and not once have I thought I needed an armrest bevel for my aching arm! Again, ukeleles are not guitars.
I skill think it is pretty cool if only to show off the skill of the luthier. Customers may think differently when they find out what it costs to have a good bevel installed. Taylor Guitar for instance charges $1400 for this option. They need to charge that much in spite of all of their high tech equipment. Having done several arm rest bevels myself, The novelty has worn off for me. I just think I can better spend my time in other areas of the build.

Yes to all of the above.
Cutaways, scoops and especially bevels aren't needed on ukes, but they (can) look good. Come to think of it, rosettes aren't needed but they also (can) look good.

'l'art pour l'art'' ("art for art's sake")- ie the best art serves no utilitarian function, it is just beautiful because it is beautiful.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Come to think of it, rosettes aren't needed but they also (can) look good.

I disagree with regards to rosettes. They serve to strengthen the sound hole. But I do agree that as long as you are going to the work you may as well make it attractive.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
I disagree with regards to rosettes. They serve to strengthen the sound hole. But I do agree that as long as you are going to the work you may as well make it attractive.

hhhmmm... i'm not sure that a rosette strengthens the soundhole- with backing, whether it be a donut or soundhole braces then yes it is strengthening, but the rosette itself I wouldn't think lends strength to the area.
....Although the shell is harder then wood and it (or even with a wooden rosette) acts as a kind of crack stopper, like a cross grain brace....hhhmmmmmmmmm.... Like Tom Cruise, I'm on the fence :confused:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
hhhmmm... i'm not sure that a rosette strengthens the soundhole- with backing, whether it be a donut or soundhole braces then yes it is strengthening, but the rosette itself I wouldn't think lends strength to the area.
....Although the shell is harder then wood and it (or even with a wooden rosette) acts as a kind of crack stopper, like a cross grain brace....hhhmmmmmmmmm.... Like Tom Cruise, I'm on the fence :confused:

I'm not talking about sound hole bracing. But inlaying a strip of anything, even similar wood, will help to prevent the sound hole from splitting.

TheCraftedCow
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Not even in the same league as the two Megabeautiful arm/leg rests; but after having someone drop one of my ukuleles on a concrete floor and caused the upper side of the lower bout to look like it had been hit with a ballpeen hammer, it was given an arm rest -banjo style. It is up off the top by the thickness of a piece of cardboard from the back of a tablet. Others who play it like the extra height for
a hand rest, and the round over which is easier on their arm. The uke is orange and black, so the black blends with the other parts which are the same colour. Hmmmm.....Similar additions to each of the corners of the bottom bout would make it stand away from the body and allow the back to produce sound. It would be an inexpensive way to approximate what is put on the back of mandolins so they stand away and can develop the sound through the back. It is the smaller ukuleles which get smothered as they are held close to the body, and muffled.

mm stan
02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
You know I was in a jewelry shop the other day and came across a nice lavender jade bracelet...solid one piece...my mind went scrambling, oh boy it would make a nice rosette....hee hee:)

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
You know I was in a jewelry shop the other day and came across a nice lavender jade bracelet...solid one piece...my mind went scrambling, oh boy it would make a nice rosette....hee hee:)

hhahahaha- oh I know that evil feeling- i've been into many a antique store, seen something- a 150 year old tortoise shell backed mirror comes to mind- and thought- man id love to cut that up.....

23skidoo
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm very much a 'no bling' guy when it comes to stringed instruments..... my preferences always run towards woods without heavy figuring, minimal binding and inlay..... less is definitely more for me. That being said - James Hill's DaSilva ukulele (http://www.theukulelesite.com/dasilva-custom-tenor-james-hill-model.html) is beautiful and the bevelled cutaway not only looks sharp but seems very utilitarian for someone that actually plays that far up the fretboard.....

Dan Uke
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
If you like the pic that Andrew attached, how much more would you pay for the Beveled Arm Rest?

Taylor charges $1400 but LFDM charges around $400 so I am debating adding it to my new build cuz I love it. I love the pic that Andrew attached and wish it was mine.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
DaSilva does a nice "scoop", more a slope. I hadn't seen a close up of his before. Michael seems like a cool guy too

southcoastukes
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
One thing I think is overlooked is that on a guitar, these also serve to get your arm off the soundboard. That's important on a guitar, of course, but even more so on an ukulele, which has much less soundboard to begin with.

If it worked like that on an ukulele, I think it would be worth the loss of soundboard area to keep your resonating surface unmuffled. But as Chuck noted, they are held differently, it doesn't get your arm off the soundboard to the extent it does on a guitar, and so you pay extra money to get less sound. The guitar has soundboard surface to spare. The Ukulele does not -especially on the lower bout where it counts the most.

Also on some of the examples shown here, pretty as they are, they look to be very restrictive in how you would hold the instrument. People will shift an ukulele around, and long-armed players often come almost over the center. If you are wanting a bevel for comfort, you'd really want it to swing around a lot more of the edge, not copy guitar placement - but then again you lose a lot more of the soundboard.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 11:13 AM
One thing I think is overlooked is that on a guitar, these also serve to get your arm off the soundboard. That's important on a guitar, of course, but even more so on an ukulele, which has much less soundboard to begin with.

If it worked like that on an ukulele, I think it would be worth the loss of soundboard area to keep your resonating surface unmuffled. But as Chuck noted, they are held differently, it doesn't get your arm off the soundboard to the extent it does on a guitar, and so you pay extra money to get less sound. The guitar has soundboard surface to spare. The Ukulele does not -especially on the lower bout where it counts the most.

Also on some of the examples shown here, pretty as they are, they look to be very restrictive in how you would hold the instrument. People will shift an ukulele around, and long-armed players often come almost over the center. If you are wanting a bevel for comfort, you'd really want it to swing around a lot more of the edge, not copy guitar placement - but then again you lose a lot more of the soundboard.

I agree. The bevel placement should be lower down. The end block would have to be redesigned as well. Because of the large brace required on the interior of the sound box that it doesn't do anything for the sound.
And while your forearm may touch the corner of the outer rim of the bout, it is making contact to a pretty small area. With an arm rest bevel, much more area is in contact with your arm, further dampening the sound. I think the idea of using the body of the ukulele as a place to "rest your arm" should be discouraged anyway.

Dan Uke
02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
I agree. The bevel placement should be lower down. The end block would have to be redesigned as well. Because of the large brace required on the interior of the sound box that it doesn't do anything for the sound.
And while your forearm may touch the corner of the outer rim of the bout, it is making contact to a pretty small area. With an arm rest bevel, much more area is in contact with your arm, further dampening the sound. I think the idea of using the body of the ukulele as a place to "rest your arm" should be discouraged anyway.

To be fair to Luis, when I asked him about it, it was more "fancy" than anything else. I asked him about the cutaway in past emails and he has a slightly different design to compensate for the loss in overall volume inside.

He actually discouraged me with the arm bevel on a small instrument in the past but when I saw the pic of the one being built, I began to have second thoughts...It looks really nice!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
To be fair to Luis, when I asked him about it, it was more "fancy" than anything else. I asked him about the cutaway in past emails and he has a slightly different design to compensate for the loss in overall volume inside.

He actually discouraged me with the arm bevel on a small instrument in the past but when I saw the pic of the one being built, I began to have second thoughts...It looks really nice!

Smart man. I give the same kind of response when asked about it. But if you like it and you got the dough then go for it. You've gotten the responses from a few builders but I can see your mind is made up. :)

Dan Uke
02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Smart man. I give the same kind of response when asked about it. But if you like it and you got the dough then go for it. You've gotten the responses from a few builders but I can see your mind is made up. :)

Hehehe...Not made up yet as $400 is still a lot of money. I rather spend it on another custom uke from some other respected luthier I know :p

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
BTW, anyone who owns one of my ukes will notice that I sand a generous radius on all edges (bindings) of my ukes, back and front. It's not commonly done but it eliminates sharp edges that might give the player discomfort.

AndrewKuker
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM

What do you mean? Because you see a smaller soundboard, you hear it that way? Tone is determined by many things but I have often heard the same model in cutaway sound better, despite what my eyes want to hear. As far as volume, the loudest uke in our shop is a Koaloha jukebox with the entire top half being irrelevant and the soundboard much smaller than other tenors. Go figure.

woah, is that yours--will you sell it in the store?

We will have some LFDM coming sometime. Daniel turned me on to his work(thx!) I think he offers a reasonable custom and is willing to work with us. We have a few other higher end builders to showcase this year. Very little profit but we gotta have some fun.

We will order the same specs with and without a bevel and give our honest opinion, but from my experience, these things don't make much tonal difference if done correct. Bigger differences come with your choice of woods, strings, and many other choices. Most of us have at least part of our arm on the top as we play, so..

This is a classical that Ryan at Ko'olau is making. What I like is the flow in the design. I hate when people try to fade away binding/purfling. And the work has to be precision. Ryan is amazing with these types of things. I asked him to do that on an ukulele and he said it wouldn't be practical. practical? If people were practical I wouldn't have a business. Heck, maybe never even born..

https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/ryan_classical.jpg

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
I was strictly referring to arm rest bevels on ukuleles, not cutaways. People think they look cool and it will sway the way they perceive it sounds.
BTW that's about the classiest cutaway bevel I've seen. Such things are easier done on guitars than ukuleles because guitars have larger radii to work with. Major kudos to Ryan.

AndrewKuker
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
I was strictly referring to arm rest bevels on ukuleles, not cutaways. People think they look cool and it will sway the way they perceive it sounds.
BTW that's about the classiest cutaway bevel I've seen. Such things are easier done on guitars than ukuleles because guitars have larger radii to work with. Major kudos to Ryan.

Ya, I can't say I've tried ukes with bevels. I will see with these from Luis. I like the look with his.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-21-2013, 06:25 AM
wow- that Ryan art nouveau scoopy thing is darn nice lookin! Any more angles of it???

Sporin
02-21-2013, 06:31 AM
I really like the idea of a bevel at the arm rest area. With my body shape and the way I prefer to hold my tenor uke, I get a nice red line on my forearm after playing for a while.

It's not a must-have, but if a uke I were buying had the option I'd most likely take it.

Dan Uke
02-21-2013, 08:21 AM
We will have some LFDM coming sometime. Daniel turned me on to his work(thx!) I think he offers a reasonable custom and is willing to work with us. We have a few other higher end builders to showcase this year. Very little profit but we gotta have some fun.

We will order the same specs with and without a bevel and give our honest opinion, but from my experience, these things don't make much tonal difference if done correct. Bigger differences come with your choice of woods, strings, and many other choices. Most of us have at least part of our arm on the top as we play, so..

I asked him to do that on an ukulele and he said it wouldn't be practical. practical? If people were practical I wouldn't have a business. Heck, maybe never even born..

What I like about Luis is that everything is done by hand...old school..of course he buys the frets and tuners but he'll make kerfing,bindings, purfling, and custom rosettes. I remember him being surprised one time when someone asked about his rosettes and thought it was a decal since it was so nice.

Andrew, you are so right about practical and ukes...UAS isn't practical even though we can justify every purchase!! :p

70sSanO
02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I have been using an armrest on my 2 of my ukuleles for a almost 3 years, although they are the the clamp on type. I originally got them to protect the finish, but there is a noticeable increase in sustain.

This is not always a good thing as I have recently removed the removed the arm rest off of one because there was too much sustain.

Here are a couple of pics...

The Big Kahuna
02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/ryan_classical.jpg

Been saying for ages that someone should start making the edge flow from the top shoulder to the cutaway, as Aria used to (and maybe still do). If done right, which Andrew's picture is, the effect is fantastic.

http://www.jaxmusic.co.uk/image/cache/data/Electric%20Guitars/Aria%20PE%20Elte%20V2-500x500.JPG

nighthunte29
02-21-2013, 11:49 AM
I have been using an armrest on my 2 of my ukuleles for a almost 3 years, although they are the the clamp on type. I originally got them to protect the finish, but there is a noticeable increase in sustain.

This is not always a good thing as I have recently removed the removed the arm rest off of one because there was too much sustain.

Here are a couple of pics...

These look great! Where can the be purchased from? :eek:

70sSanO
02-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I actually had to piece them together, so to speak, here is what I posted a couple years ago...

Doug Edwards, Hill Country Stringworks in Texas, makes clamp-on armrests for mandolins, has made a clamp-on armrest for a soprano ukulele and makes stick-on armrests for guitars. The maximum clamp-on depth he can make is 2-3/8” using 39mm barrels on the violin/viola clamps.

My ukulele is approximately 3” deep so long barrel viola clamps are still too short.

Steve Smith, Cumberland Acoustic in Tennessee, used to make clamp-on armrests for guitars. He stopped making them because of the differences in shape and depth made it difficult to standardize the armrests. He had clamp hardware specially made with longer barrels and was willing to sell me 2 sets with 55mm long barrels.

They way this came together was as follows…

I got the hardware from Steve Smith at $23.50 each shipped.7-26-2010)

I bought some 1/4" balsa wood for template. I taped the balsa wood to each ukulele and traced the shape of each ukulele; cut and sanded a template for each ukulele. The balsa wood was $2.00 - $3.00 for a 1/4” x 3” x 24”

I took pictures of the templates on the ukuleles and mailed the templates and the hardware to Doug Edwards. $5.00 - $6.00. (8-10-2010)

Doug ordered some Koa and made them 1/4” thick to the shape of the templates and installed the clamp hardware for $22.50 each shipped. (9-30-2010)

Total cost is approximately $50.00 per ukulele and about 2 months from start to finish.

AndrewKuker
02-22-2013, 10:44 AM
I remember him being surprised one time when someone asked about his rosettes and thought it was a decal since it was so nice.

Ya, that would surprise me too, or should I say insult.

I asked Luis his thoughts on the bevels effect on tone. He responded.
"On guitars it does not affect the overall response, yet a ukulele is a smaller vibrational area.
My experience is that making the top a-symmetric, helps with the vibrational response as each side responds differently and avoids cancellation .
Let you know as soon as i test the one now under construction."

mm stan
02-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Yes those bevels looks really nice.. but from my standpoint, I'm not sure I can justify the cost for something that is clearly cosmetic..
I'd rather put my money elsewhere in upgrades ........I am not even fond of my cutaways...I have only one now and may not even get another.
it's nice to see as they are asthetically pleasing, but certainly not my preference...

Dan Uke
02-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Ya, that would surprise me too, or should I say insult.

I asked Luis his thoughts on the bevels effect on tone. He responded.
"On guitars it does not affect the overall response, yet a ukulele is a smaller vibrational area.
My experience is that making the top a-symmetric, helps with the vibrational response as each side responds differently and avoids cancellation .
Let you know as soon as i test the one now under construction."

I have no idea what that means...In layman's term, does it mean that if you get a bevel armrest then you need to get a cutaway and vice versa?

urcuzzn
02-23-2013, 09:22 AM
here is a pic of scoop cutaway and bevel sample.
built 3 pieces as samples.
production will begin this summer.

GregT
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
I posted info and pictures of an armrest I had made for one of my baritones last year.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?70976-Armrest