Beveled Arm Rest

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Besides Chuck Moore's Uke, have you seen any other ukes with the beveled arm rest?

I assume it would only be useful for tenor or bari and I like how it looks.

I've never seen one before (or even heard of one until I read your post) but I think it would be a GREAT idea! I love the way they look on guitars. To be honest I'm not sure how much it would help you hold the instrument better since it's not that big to begin with, but I think it would be a very classy and sophisticated aesthetic.

I've never seen one before (or even heard of one until I read your post) but I think it would be a GREAT idea! I love the way they look on guitars. To be honest I'm not sure how much it would help you hold the instrument better since it's not that big to begin with, but I think it would be a very classy and sophisticated aesthetic.

I would post a pic but didn't get permission....maybe Chuck could post a pic!! I think it's awesome!! Very time consuming I would think.

For what it's worth I think an arm bevel serves little function on an ukulele. While they may make some sense on a guitar ukuleles are not generally held in the same manner. It does look cool though but I don't expect them to catch on if only because they are difficult to do well (therefore expensive.)
BTW, I recently saw one from a builder in Japan.
Pics attached for those who don't know what we're talking about.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0024_2.jpg
    DSC_0024_2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 155
An extreme display in beauty and craftsmanship and, as Chuck says, not ergonomically necessary on a small body instrument.

Besides Chuck Moore's Uke, have you seen any other ukes with the beveled arm rest?

I assume it would only be useful for tenor or bari and I like how it looks.

Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

Check out da bevels on my tenor::shaka:

cad5.jpg

IMHO - For me, I like da beveled edge on da lower bout cause regulah kine tenor ukes wit da traditional lower bouts cut into my forearms and da buggahs hurt aftah playing fo a couple of hours. AUWE!!! :uhoh:

Last edited:
wow, what is this uke? Is it an m's craft?

Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

View attachment 49104

IMHO - For me, I like da beveled edge on da lower bout cause regulah kine tenor ukes wit da traditional lower bouts cut into my forearms and da buggahs hurt aftah playing fo a couple of hours. AUWE!!! :uhoh:

Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

View attachment 49104

Bruddah Kimo

Did you get every option possible on that uke? What kind of wood is on the B&S...it's gorgeous. I know you like the unique ones and that's about as unique as it gets!! Congrats

Daniel you are doing horrible things to my UAS and my wallet.:D
You my friend have good taste.

I tend to agree with Chuck the bevel on a uke isn't as great a gain as say on a guitar- on the other hand a bevel cutaway makes a bit of sense, as it preserves more volume than a 'normal' cutaway!

Daniel you are doing horrible things to my UAS and my wallet.:D
You my friend have good taste.

Talk about diminishing returns!! I know an arm rest doesn't add to the sound but I sure do want one. My arm gets tired too...I need to somehow justify getting one. hehehe

Did you get your CR yet? I would love to see what carbon bindings look like!

I tend to agree with Chuck the bevel on a uke isn't as great a gain as say on a guitar- on the other hand a bevel cutaway makes a bit of sense, as it preserves more volume than a 'normal' cutaway!

So does that mean that a cutaway with a bevel arm rest is worse? You keep on putting new thoughts into my mind. :p

Talk about diminishing returns!! I know an arm rest doesn't add to the sound but I sure do want one. My arm gets tired too...I need to somehow justify getting one. hehehe

Did you get your CR yet? I would love to see what carbon bindings look like!

Alas... No still waiting. Hopefully in the next month.

I'm fairly sure I seen a clip from NAMM showing the new Kanile'a with an arm rest.

Bevels are pimp

ukeaffari.jpg

Especially with the miter joints all tight..this one actually adds a counter point to the cut away. modern take a vintage design. Doesnt matter by the way, I have heard many cutaways sound better than the same model without. Whatever difference is overshadowed in other ways. secrets of the universe....

Top Bottom