PDA

View Full Version : String Question

Kyle23
02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm really in need of some new strings on my new soprano. I have d'addarios on right now and I hate how they feel. Very bulky and weird feeling. I just don't know which ones to go with since I haven't used too many kinds. I have the flurocarbon Aquilas on my concert and I love the feel/sound of those, so would Martin flurocarbons be a good choice? I'm also not looking to spend a lot because I don't have much money, so the best for a cheap price would be ideal. Thanks guys.

anthonyg
02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Aquila flurocarbons? Do you mean Aquila Nylguts or are you talking about another brand of fluorocarbons?

Anthony

Kyle23
02-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Aquila flurocarbons? Do you mean Aquila Nylguts or are you talking about another brand of fluorocarbons?

Anthony

Yeah, they're the new red series that I got from mimmo to test out. I believe they're flurocarbon.

nighthunte29
02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
The new Aquila Reds are super thin!
Maybe all strings will feel bulky as you are used to them?

Kyle23
02-19-2013, 10:45 AM
The new Aquila Reds are super thin!
Maybe all strings will feel bulky as you are used to them?

I guess that makes sense. It just seems like the ones I have on now give off a plastic-ish sound when I strum.

nighthunte29
02-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Maybe that is because your ears have also adjusted to the sweet tone of fluorocarbons too!
There is only one way to find out! :eek:

Kyle23
02-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Must be, I might go with the Martins when I get the moneysssss

mimmo
02-20-2013, 02:34 AM
well,
right now I have made a massive quantity of the red series sets. This mean that the big distributors has them in 7-10 days almost. Then the Red Series sets will be avilable on their on line store and in a few days to the local store were they do the service.
The Red series are doing a good job. 100% ok
Mimmo

DaleR
02-20-2013, 04:14 AM
It's not like you are breaking the bank buying strings, as they are rather inexpensive anyway, unless you are talking hybrid uBass strings, and then it is only $25 or so. Buy some and see what you like?! I did a string change to Ahkweelahs (lol) on my very first Melokia uke and it made a great sounding instrument. Go for it!:2cents:

Patrick Madsen
02-20-2013, 04:34 AM
Living Waters or Southcoast strings http://www.southcoastukes.com/string%20sets.htm or http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

Best strings I've tried so far and I believe you can get two soprano strings out of one.

etf
02-20-2013, 04:40 AM
Living Waters by Ken Middleton. Just put some on my Kanile'a Tenor and wow what a difference. As a relative newbie I could never really tell much difference in sounds between strings on several video comparisons. However, I put these on and the difference stands out a mile. Only Living Waters for me now.

ETF :cool:

vanflynn
02-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Hi Kyle,

I have a set of Aquila's looking for a new home. PM me with your address and I'll mail them out tomorrow

Jim

Kyle23
02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow, thanks so much. I sent you a PM, Jim.