PDA

View Full Version : NEW UKE DAY: My Martin Barry!

pdxuke
02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
My quest for my holy grail has been satisfied. Today, this became mine:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49105&d=1361335744

It's about the prettiest Martin Barry I've ever seen! Yum! Coming from Canada, so now I know the anxiety my international friends feel waiting for things to clear customs. Holding my breath for the next few weeks!

:-)

teruterubouzu
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Gorgeous. Congratulations!

coolkayaker1
02-19-2013, 06:21 PM
It looks like it was built yesterday--- it's so clean. Like a bird of paradise.

Absolutely see a new sound cloud quiz on the horizon from brother Thom: what's my line, baritone.

Love, American Baritone Style.

That Baritone Girl

Bari-witched.

pdxuke
02-19-2013, 06:28 PM
I was told the shop bought it at NAMM.

Dan Uke
02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Wow, wasn't it only a few weeks ago when you decided you needed a Martin tenor and bari? You and Steve sure do act fast...I love it!!

AKuker
02-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Sweet! Have a great time with it!

pdxuke
02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Wow, wasn't it only a few weeks ago when you decided you needed a Martin tenor and bari? You and Steve sure do act fast...I love it!!

Yes. I'm an old guy. Only so much time left...:o :old:

myrnaukelele
02-19-2013, 06:51 PM
That is one beautiful baritone. You are so lucky. Happy strumming!

Patrick Madsen
02-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Congrats bigtime. Interesting that you got a Favilla first and then a Martin. I got my Martin first and just won the bid on a Favilla.You're posting photos of the Fav. and stating the crack on the side wass no big deal in fixing convinced me to get one.

Any idea what tunings you'll be using. I've got the Martin tuned to a Bb with Southcoast ML-RW's and will be putting on a set of Living Waters DGBE that I have. Or may change the Martin to the G tuning and Fav. Bb.

That is one gorgeous Martin. You're going to love it. Where abouts in Canada is it from?

pdxuke
02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Congrats bigtime. Interesting that you got a Favilla first and then a Martin. I got my Martin first and just won the bid on a Favilla.You're posting photos of the Fav. and stating the crack on the side wass no big deal in fixing convinced me to get one.

Any idea what tunings you'll be using. I've got the Martin tuned to a Bb with Southcoast ML-RW's and will be putting on a set of Living Waters DGBE that I have. Or may change the Martin to the G tuning and Fav. Bb.

That is one gorgeous Martin. You're going to love it. Where abouts in Canada is it from?

Folkways music, Canada:
http://www.folkwaymusic.com/vintage-instruments/martin-guitars/martin-style-51-baritone-uke-0113/

Nice people, seem like a knowledgable shop.

Yes, I went Favilla first. I wanted to be sure I really liked playing Barry. I do. I love it. The Favilla is awesome. But actually, even my Kala is awesome. So I knew, of course, there had to be a Martin. I lost out on two in one weekend from Elderly. They were nice--but not this nice. All things happen for a reason. This was meant to come stay at my house for a while.

The Favilla right now has Martin barry strings. I'm not a fan of traditional barry strings, but I kinda like these. However, I will probably change them out.

Here's how I have my Barry' strung:

Kala-KA: The D'Addario classical guitar re-entrant G tuning that Lambchop uses. I like this a bunch dGBE
Silvertone: I have the Southcoast Linear C tuning. Haven't had much time to play it because I'm still getting the smell out of it (musty)
Regal: I just today, got the Regal Spruce top. Finally arrived. I'm in the process of trying a cuatro tuning in d.
If I like that tuning, I plan on using the Southcoast cuatros to get a C tuning on my Favilla. I want a nice rich rhythm instrument.

The Martin I'm either going to string re-entrant G with a Southcoast set, or Linear C.

I'l try that Bb tuning on the Martin someday.

we tigers
02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
That's about the prettiest Martin Bari I've ever seen. Congratulations!

pdxuke
02-19-2013, 07:46 PM
You're posting photos of the Fav. and stating the crack on the side wass no big deal in fixing convinced me to get one.

Steve owns the one with the fixed crack He's handy at fixing things :-)

pdxuke
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49458&d=1362022625

IT'S IN BUFFALO! Yay! On the way!

Appalachian picker
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
wow......That's gorgeous!....and just when I had decided (finally) to go ahead and get a sale priced Lanikai. After seeing this I'm back to jonesing for a vintage bari.

pdxuke
02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
wow......That's gorgeous!....and just when I had decided (finally) to go ahead and get a sale priced Lanikai. After seeing this I'm back to jonesing for a vintage bari.

Hey, I've got from the ridiculous to the sublime. Buy the Lanikai--get yourself a baritone today!

collarbone
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Congrats! That's an amazing looking uke. My grandparents live in Guelph and I was hoping that would be there next time I visited them so that I could give it a try. I didn't think it would still be there next Christmas but you never know. Glad you picked it up though. Enjoy!

pdxuke
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Congrats! That's an amazing looking uke. My grandparents live in Guelph and I was hoping that would be there next time I visited them so that I could give it a try. I didn't think it would still be there next Christmas but you never know. Glad you picked it up though. Enjoy!

Thank you Collarbone! I'm hoping it clears customs ok and gets to me soon. I have an Oahu hardcase on order from HMS so I'll be ready when she arrives :-)---next TUESDAY!

Patrick Madsen
02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
That is gorgeous. Nothing like a primo vintage Martin. I put set of Dirks ML-RW's on mine and have it tune to Bb. Whew, it is so cool. I've been thinking on putting it back to a G key but then a Bb has that special sound. Perhaps once I get the Cuatros round wound on the Favilla I'll change.

Congrats that is one beautiful Martin.

pdxuke
02-28-2013, 03:51 AM
That is gorgeous. Nothing like a primo vintage Martin. I put set of Dirks ML-RW's on mine and have it tune to Bb. Whew, it is so cool. I've been thinking on putting it back to a G key but then a Bb has that special sound. Perhaps once I get the Cuatros round wound on the Favilla I'll change.

Congrats that is one beautiful Martin.

Pat, I have to try Bb tuning. Haven't gone there yet. I think I'll order a set of those strings.

Flyke
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Hey PDX, Congrats on the beautiful Martin.

I was just wondering how the sound compares to your Fvailla Bari? Tone, volume, etc... I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Ewkahlaylee
02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I just picked up one of these locally, all original from grandmas closet near mint. playabilty is superb all the way up the neck. intonation couldn't be better, slim, quick neck profile. I've got south coast LC-WB strings on order.
Mine has an obvious rosewood bridge, the one here looks ebony.? Anyway, congrats. Uke heaven for sure!

Patrick Madsen
02-28-2013, 07:15 PM
My Martin bari's bridge is Rosewood also E.

pdxuke
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Hey PDX, Congrats on the beautiful Martin.

I was just wondering how the sound compares to your Fvailla Bari? Tone, volume, etc... I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

When it arrives I'll let you know, and do a side by side sound test.

justinlcecil
02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Congratulations! I hope to have a slew of vintage martin ukes someday. This one is absurdly beautiful for its age. I also have an Oahu case on order from HMS...been processing for nearly a week though =/

mm stan
03-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Aloha PDX,
What an amazing score and in perfect condition...congrats...hope it arrives soon...mine has 5 8" cracks and a bunch of nicks sorta like hail hit it..but it is the sweetest martin
baritone I ever heard...had to get it...cost me 5 dead presidents..I am so jealous of yours though..Happy Strummings..

pdxuke
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
It's here, and it's magnificent. Strung it with Southcoast re-entrant uke set that gives me dGBE. I love that tuning. No wound strings.

It really is beautiful! Loving the neck profile. Fits in my Oahu case that also arrived today from HMS! :-)

Flyke
03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
When it arrives I'll let you know, and do a side by side sound test.

I'm looking forward to it!

coolkayaker1
03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
It's here, and it's magnificent. Strung it with Southcoast re-entrant uke set that gives me dGBE. I love that tuning. No wound strings.

It really is beautiful! Loving the neck profile. Fits in my Oahu case that also arrived today from HMS! :-) wow. more dets when you have dem. pikchas n such. dgbe reentrant is da bomb, pdx. tis tru dat