NEW UKE DAY: My Martin Barry!

pdxuke

Reaction score
My quest for my holy grail has been satisfied. Today, this became mine:

attachment.php

It's about the prettiest Martin Barry I've ever seen! Yum! Coming from Canada, so now I know the anxiety my international friends feel waiting for things to clear customs. Holding my breath for the next few weeks!

:)

It looks like it was built yesterday--- it's so clean. Like a bird of paradise.

Absolutely see a new sound cloud quiz on the horizon from brother Thom: what's my line, baritone.

Love, American Baritone Style.

That Baritone Girl

Bari-witched.

Wow, wasn't it only a few weeks ago when you decided you needed a Martin tenor and bari? You and Steve sure do act fast...I love it!!

Congrats bigtime. Interesting that you got a Favilla first and then a Martin. I got my Martin first and just won the bid on a Favilla.You're posting photos of the Fav. and stating the crack on the side wass no big deal in fixing convinced me to get one.

Any idea what tunings you'll be using. I've got the Martin tuned to a Bb with Southcoast ML-RW's and will be putting on a set of Living Waters DGBE that I have. Or may change the Martin to the G tuning and Fav. Bb.

That is one gorgeous Martin. You're going to love it. Where abouts in Canada is it from?

Congrats bigtime. Interesting that you got a Favilla first and then a Martin. I got my Martin first and just won the bid on a Favilla.You're posting photos of the Fav. and stating the crack on the side wass no big deal in fixing convinced me to get one.

Any idea what tunings you'll be using. I've got the Martin tuned to a Bb with Southcoast ML-RW's and will be putting on a set of Living Waters DGBE that I have. Or may change the Martin to the G tuning and Fav. Bb.

That is one gorgeous Martin. You're going to love it. Where abouts in Canada is it from?

Folkways music, Canada:
http://www.folkwaymusic.com/vintage-instruments/martin-guitars/martin-style-51-baritone-uke-0113/

Nice people, seem like a knowledgable shop.

Yes, I went Favilla first. I wanted to be sure I really liked playing Barry. I do. I love it. The Favilla is awesome. But actually, even my Kala is awesome. So I knew, of course, there had to be a Martin. I lost out on two in one weekend from Elderly. They were nice--but not this nice. All things happen for a reason. This was meant to come stay at my house for a while.

The Favilla right now has Martin barry strings. I'm not a fan of traditional barry strings, but I kinda like these. However, I will probably change them out.

Here's how I have my Barry' strung:

Kala-KA: The D'Addario classical guitar re-entrant G tuning that Lambchop uses. I like this a bunch dGBE
Silvertone: I have the Southcoast Linear C tuning. Haven't had much time to play it because I'm still getting the smell out of it (musty)
Regal: I just today, got the Regal Spruce top. Finally arrived. I'm in the process of trying a cuatro tuning in d.
If I like that tuning, I plan on using the Southcoast cuatros to get a C tuning on my Favilla. I want a nice rich rhythm instrument.

The Martin I'm either going to string re-entrant G with a Southcoast set, or Linear C.

I'l try that Bb tuning on the Martin someday.

Last edited:
That's about the prettiest Martin Bari I've ever seen. Congratulations!

wow......That's gorgeous!....and just when I had decided (finally) to go ahead and get a sale priced Lanikai. After seeing this I'm back to jonesing for a vintage bari.

Congrats! That's an amazing looking uke. My grandparents live in Guelph and I was hoping that would be there next time I visited them so that I could give it a try. I didn't think it would still be there next Christmas but you never know. Glad you picked it up though. Enjoy!

Thank you Collarbone! I'm hoping it clears customs ok and gets to me soon. I have an Oahu hardcase on order from HMS so I'll be ready when she arrives :)---next TUESDAY!

That is gorgeous. Nothing like a primo vintage Martin. I put set of Dirks ML-RW's on mine and have it tune to Bb. Whew, it is so cool. I've been thinking on putting it back to a G key but then a Bb has that special sound. Perhaps once I get the Cuatros round wound on the Favilla I'll change.

Congrats that is one beautiful Martin.

That is gorgeous. Nothing like a primo vintage Martin. I put set of Dirks ML-RW's on mine and have it tune to Bb. Whew, it is so cool. I've been thinking on putting it back to a G key but then a Bb has that special sound. Perhaps once I get the Cuatros round wound on the Favilla I'll change.

Congrats that is one beautiful Martin.

Pat, I have to try Bb tuning. Haven't gone there yet. I think I'll order a set of those strings.

Hey PDX, Congrats on the beautiful Martin.

I was just wondering how the sound compares to your Fvailla Bari? Tone, volume, etc... I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Top Bottom