Cuatro tuning on barry

pdxuke

Reaction score
I just strung my vintage Regal spruce top Barry with south coast cuatro strings tuned to D. It rocks big time. It makes an absolutely perfect rhythm instrument that has a rich and interesting sound. Anybody else using cuatro on a Barry and what tuning?

It looks funny, in print, to see references to a baritone ukulele as a "Barry" instead of "bari." Whenever I see "Barry" I think of Barry Manilow or the orthodontist Rachel was supposed to marry in the pilot episode of "Friends."

It looks funny, in print, to see references to a baritone ukulele as a "Barry" instead of "bari." Whenever I see "Barry" I think of Barry Manilow or the orthodontist Rachel was supposed to marry in the pilot episode of "Friends."

Play Manilow tunes on your baritone uke and gig as "Bari Manilow."

Well, I enter many posts via iPhone and it gets auto corrected to Barry. So I'm living with it.

As an avid baritone ukulele player (I have several - a Pono, a Kamaka four-string, a Kamaka eight-string, and a Mya-Moe four-string myrtle, with a Mya-Moe six-string mahogany in the MM build queue and a Compass Rose baritone in Rick Turner's build queue), I'm enjoying your baritone journey and I read all of your bari-related threads and posts with great interests. I just can't seem to get "Can't Smile Without You" out of my head. :)

Sorry to have hijacked your thread. Back to posts about using cuatro strings on a baritone ukulele.

Yes, I use two Cuatro tunings. The C and the G tunings, those being the third strings. so, basically your Barry and standard tunings with low first striongs instead of high first strings. I like the G tuning best. It's great for rhythm as you say but also interestings to throw in some picking and see how it sounds. All strings from south Coast. Great help from Dirk. He has some good videos of some interesting people playing Cuatro tuning.

Yes, I use two Cuatro tunings. The C and the G tunings, those being the third strings. so, basically your Barry and standard tunings with low first striongs instead of high first strings. I like the G tuning best. It's great for rhythm as you say but also interestings to throw in some picking and see how it sounds. All strings from south Coast. Great help from Dirk. He has some good videos of some interesting people playing Cuatro tuning.

I'm thinking on putting a bari back to a linear G tuning. I kind of found the reg G tuning too low. If I hear you right (sic) the Cuatro low G tuning would be a good way to go for a rythm bari instead of the reg linear G tuning?

I'm thinking on putting a bari back to a linear G tuning. I kind of found the reg G tuning too low. If I hear you right (sic) the Cuatro low G tuning would be a good way to go for a rythm bari instead of the reg linear G tuning?

Yeah! The Cuatro tuning sounds great chording. I love it. Once the other cuatro strings arrive from Dirk I'll string the Favilla and do a sound sample. You should hear it on a really good quality uke.

Well if Barry is good enough for the President of the USA, so I think it is good enough for my ukulele. Of course the Australian form of Barry is Bazza, so I think we should talk about our Bazza ukuleles.
Getting back to cuatro tuning on the Bazza, is it ADF#B, and is it higher or lower than the usual DGBE?

My Bazza is tuned ADF#B in cuatro. I think Dirk has a C tuning version and G tuning version of cuatro tuning strings for a 20" Bazza.

Last edited:
I'm just down the I-5 from you. One of my Giannini baritones is strung dGBe with Aquila strings. I rarely slack to dGBd, but often go cGCe. the root is open; the IV can be 5555 or 0201. The V can be 7777 or 2423. I have a Lehua tenor tuned the same way. It is an enchanting tuning. I can't thank Dirk enough for bringing it to our attention.

I don't see a set of Cuatros for low G tuning on dirks site. What's the order number?

Well if Barry is good enough for the President of the USA, so I think it is good enough for my ukulele. Of course the Australian form of Barry is Bazza, so I think we should talk about our Bazza ukuleles.
Getting back to cuatro tuning on the Bazza, is it ADF#B, and is it higher or lower than the usual DGBE?

I guess I should start calling all my baritone ukuleles "Baraks."

All my Baraks are tuned DGBE. I'm unimaginitive, but I may try other tunings on a couple of them.

I guess I should start calling all my baritone ukuleles "Baraks."

All my Baraks are tuned DGBE. I'm unimaginitive, but I may try other tunings on a couple of them.

Since I've always been quite fond of the 56th element of the periodic table, I shall henceforth refer to all my baritone ukuleles as Bariums.

I just received my set of LMC NW Southcoast Cuatro strings and strung up my Favilla Barnum (I've decided to call my Barrys Barnums now. Just because.)

I'm tellin ya, I'm lovin life with this tuning. I've got a rich, warm, rhythm instrument and it's great. When they settle in I'll post a sound clip.

When the Martin arrives I'm gonna try re-entrant G tuning. I've got a set of Southcoasts that will let me do that.

So glad I tried the cuatro thing.

I just received my set of LMC NW Southcoast Cuatro strings and strung up my Favilla Barnum (I've decided to call my Barrys Barnums now. Just because.)

I'm tellin ya, I'm lovin life with this tuning. I've got a rich, warm, rhythm instrument and it's great. When they settle in I'll post a sound clip.

When the Martin arrives I'm gonna try re-entrant G tuning. I've got a set of Southcoasts that will let me do that.

Did you tune to a C or D? Is that a rentrant setup or linear? You've picked my interest. I was thinking of going with a linear G on the martin and perhaps a linear Bb on the Favilla but Would like a good rhythm setup to play with others.

Pat, cuatro tuning is a low first and fourth string, in the case of this set, both unwound. I didn't know what that was until I read about it on the south coast site and Dirk explained it. A very old tuning that jazz folks used in the thirties as well. Makes me want to form a string band just so I can play rhythm with these strings.

I two of the options-/ there may be more-/ are c and d tuning. The favilla is in c and the regal tuned to d both cuatro style.

I encourage you to try it out.

Thanks, I just ordered a set in C tuning. I didn't like the regular C tuning on my bari but these sound like they may be different. The Favilla comes Tuesday so will clean it up and put them on it. I'm always a little nervous when buying off Ebay but feel this one will be good.

I just got Glen Roses' book on Jazz progressions and he plays a C tuned bari. so these Cuatros should work.

Thanks again, this thread has been really informative.

When we redid our site, we expanded the line of Cuatro strings. In the past, we only offered the traditional set-up: all plain strings that would give a - d' - f# - b on a 20" scale. When we added more, the 1st set was the simplest - one to give g - c' - e' - a on the same scale. Even with the low 1st, this is not too low for a Baritone.

The Cuatro players just like the slightly higher, brighter sound. That's the great thing about Cuatro set-ups - with "low 4th" & "low 1st" strings, they give great depth to tunings that some might find weak on bigger instruments. On the Cuatro site page, there are sound samples comparing this "low reentrant" set-up (yes, it is another form of reentrant tuning) in traditional D tuning on a Baritone to the "high reentrant" or "Ukulele reentrant" D tuning on a Soprano. The fact that one sounds great on the smallest Ukulele, and the other sounds just as great on the biggest, illustrates the effect of dropping the 1st & 4th strings an octave.

As I said above, it was easy to do this for C tuning, since we already had 3/4 of the set in our Linear offerings anyway. Patrick, you have likely tried it. Our LL-NW (Light Linear - no wound) set gives C tuning @ 20", and is one of our most popular sets. All we had to do was change the 1st string, and voila!, the LMC-NW (Light Medium Cuatro - no wound). The LC-NW (Light Cuatro - no wound) gives the traditional D tuning @ 20".

If you're already using LL-NWs (as a lot of you are) and want some extra depth, we've made it very easy to give it a trial run. On the Linear page, after the listing for that set, you have the option to add an extra 1st string - one that converts it to Cuatro tuning. That way you can try both set-ups.

We also make this Cuatro set-up with a pair of wound strings (on the outsides): the LMC-WBs (wond basses). This set gives a touch more tension, and as you might imagine, a bit more power and more sustain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom