January Blackbird contest from HMS

Skinny Money McGee

Reaction score
Hey folks, just wanted to share with you the Blackbird ukulele I won in the January contest Hawaiian Music Supply held. I posted this in uke talk since this uke has already been reviewed a few times, and there are numerous videos out there.

Wanted to say thank you to Andrew @ HMS. His generosity is really quite amazing. He's giving away 4 Pono ukes for February!! Andrew is either crazy, or a marketing genius:D When I emailed him to say thank you, He said it was the best part of his job, and I believe it !!

This uke is very comfortable to hold. Feels almost sculpted to your body. The tuners are Gotoh UK700's 15:1 open geared. Going to see if I can get black buttons for it.

The hole in the headstock is a sound port, as the neck is hollow, or formed around a tube. The fretboard is made of Micarta and is very smooth. The frets have been polished nicely.

It came with D’Addario strings with a wound low g. I changed them out with Freemont Black Lines low G. (fits the look) The wound low G was very droning.

Great sounding uke and a blast to play!!

Cheers

Bruce

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 35
  • sculpted back.jpg
    sculpted back.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 26
  • neck base.jpg
    neck base.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 29
  • lowerbout.jpg
    lowerbout.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
A few more Pictures

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 18
  • fretboard.jpg
    fretboard.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 19
  • UK700 tuners.jpg
    UK700 tuners.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 15
  • sound port headstock.jpg
    sound port headstock.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 15
wow Bruce gorgeous, super jealous(in a good way) somehow didn't hear about this first contest and it seems more legit with just a purchase than the who can recruit the most people + trivia contest

Keep it forever, and if you don't, PM me ;)

Last edited:
wow Bruce gorgeous, super jealous somehow didn't hear about this first contest and it seems more legit with just a purchase entering and not some media click fest

Keep it forever, and if you don't, PM me ;)

Thanks David. I was going to have a semi custom tenor built, but now I may sell my Kanilea KPE-T and get a concert instead. It really is a fun instrument to play and since our family canoes and camps often in the summer, this is perfect.

I'm enjoying the trivia question contest, albeit not very good at it!!

One more picture couldn't resist taking:D

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 36
Yes! Send that to Joe of Blackbird on their facebook or email if your not socially networked, I'm sure it will bring him joy :)

uke on!

Top Bottom