Status
Not open for further replies.

wendellfiddler

Reaction score
P1140831.jpgP1140800.jpgP1140795.jpgP1140827.jpgP1140796.jpg

Uke has been sold, thanks

Last edited:
More pics

The wood on this uke is incredible. Even the rosewood on the fingerboard is gorgeous.

Sound: dark and complex, but not extremely loud - a lot like Koa. It really rings when fingerpicked.

Doug

Attachments

• P1140821.jpg
    P1140821.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 146
  • P1140791.jpg
    P1140791.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 152
  • P1140802.jpg
    P1140802.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 114
  • P1140812.jpg
    P1140812.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 86
Nice Kanilea!

Just a note on the grinding tuner...I had the same problem on the G string of my K1 tenor that I bought a few weeks back. I used a little 3-in-1 oil to lubricate it a bit and it loosened up nicely with no grinding now. Probably not a bad idea to have an extra around in case it doesn't last long term, but it might fix it temporarily at least.

Yeah, I was able to get this one to limp by that way too. But it's clearly got more slack than the others and doesn't work as well. Kanilea was like, "no problem, we'll send you one of those". Good to know.

doug

Wow! That walnut is beautiful. f I hadn't just bought a walnut Compass Rose I'd be all over this. Whoever ends up with this ukulele is going to get a great-looking instrument!

Last edited:
I'll fess up. it's me. I just refinished on antique walnut chest from the late 1800;s, and fell in love with walnut. now I'm getting a uke to match it. I'm now nutty for walnut, they,re good eaten too.

Congrats Andy, that really is one lovely instrument.

If only it had been a concert. :/

Our quota of tenors is being filled with one on the way... I'd love to get my hands on a walnut concert somewhere next.

Way to go, Andy, have the courage to stray from Koa in the premium segment.

If I hadn't just bought the Kamaka with pick up, this would have been interesting if no other reason than the wood. I wish you the best with it, Andy. Next time you're in the Tampa area I hope you bring it.

Congratulations! I've owned two all-walnut tenors (3rd Wave by Marc Schoenberger and Little River by Dave Sigman) and they were among the sweetest tenors I've owned. I can only imagine what magic Kanilea does with that wood. Enjoy!

Congratulations! I've owned two all-walnut tenors (3rd Wave by Marc Schoenberger and Little River by Dave Sigman) and they were among the sweetest tenors I've owned. I can only imagine what magic Kanilea does with that wood. Enjoy!

thanks, It's always a bit unsettling buying before playing, but I have never even seen a Kanilea, never mind a walnut one. I do have a couple Koalohas, and they are sweet, and that walnut looked so stunning I couldn't resist. will post a sound sample when it arrives so anyone else interested in one can kind of get an idea what they sound like.

This uke is still available. Price reduced to $750 with standard, insured usps shipping to CONUS. The defective tuner that I originally mentioned has been taken care of, so it has no serious issues that I know of. The person who took it on approval last week has decided it's not for him. I would point out that while this is a uke that's never seen much use, it's not new and isn't perfect, it may have some finish cracks but no structural or body cracks. It's being offered at a price that is about 60% of the new price and includes one of the best hard shell cases available. Consider appropriately, thanks.

Reasonable offers will be considered. Please note it will probably be a week or so before I have possession of the uke again and can ship.

Thanks,

Doug Tanner

Last edited:
This uke is still available. Price reduced to $750 with standard, insured usps shipping to CONUS. The defective tuner that I originally mentioned has been taken care of, so it has no serious issues that I know of. The person who took it on approval last week has decided it's not for him. I would point out that while this is a uke that's never seen much use, it's not new and isn't perfect, it may have some finish cracks but no structural or body cracks. It's being offered at a price that is about 60% of the new price and includes one of the best hard shell cases available. Consider appropriately, thanks.

Reasonable offers will be considered. Please note it will probably be a week or so before I have possession of the uke again and can ship.

Thanks,

Doug Tanner
I"m the "person" , so instead of having to reply to lots of PM's, I'll just respond here. I'll run it by Doug first, so if it's posted here, he didn't have a problem with it.
The grain and finish are stunning. it's only because it is such that I even noticed the only real issue[besides the tuners that Doug has already addressed], you can feel the seam below the bridge. It can really only be seen it if you hold it at a certain angle to the light, but it can be felt. This would not keep me from keeping this beautiful instrument. it is a very minor flaw. It just doesnt have the sound I was looking for.This gets very subjective. It has a beautiful tone,but not like the Hawaian koa sound I expected. I don't really know how to describe it and if I hadn't already packed it would do a sound sample. It sounds and plays fine.I would not hesitate recommending it, and now that I have seen their finish would serously consider one of their koa models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom