What store bought thickness sander do you use?

A Halsty (now Safety Speed Cut) 43" x 75" wide belt sander. Great machine.

Hahahh- a bargain at $16k!

However, for $16,000 i would rather slowly hand thickness my tops on the naked bodies of Greek virgins- nothing like sanding with 5000 grit skin.

Butt seriously, ditto for the the Performax 16/32".

I have a Sheing Shing 16/32 I think for a single person guitar shop, it would be perfect, it has a small footprint, super reliable, powerful, and almost (no platen) like the big machines like Ricks I think it is perfect for ukes.

My friends in the shop next door have a Timesavers 37" x 60" sander that I use frequently, when I need the platen.

I am upgrading right now to an Extrema 25" sander that has a platen. It runs 25" x 60" belts.

Wide Belt sanders are much better than drum sanders, IMO.

Yeah, 20 hp on the head and a separate DC variable speed (I think) 1.5 hp on the feed belt. Another machine that paid for itself.

I've been using one of the small 10" Grizzly's and I absolutely hate it! I've made a deal with a guy for one that he is not using called Mao Shan that is a two roller setup 80 grit and 120 grit. It's a lot bigger but the damn grizzly makes you want to rip out your hair trying to load the sanding roll.

If I were back in a small shop...which I hope to be again someday...I'd think seriously about a Performax. I've used them a couple of times and was impressed. I'd also look at a Jet. Both are drum sanders, both are available big enough to do 16" guitar tops.

I've been using one of the small 10" Grizzly's and I absolutely hate it! I've made a deal with a guy for one that he is not using called Mao Shan that is a two roller setup 80 grit and 120 grit. It's a lot bigger but the damn grizzly makes you want to rip out your hair trying to load the sanding roll.

I was looking at the Grizzly machines and the small ones only go down to 1/4" and 1/8" of thickness. Do you use a slave board?

I think those ratings might be conservative, not sure... My machine is rated to 1/8" or maybe 1/4" I do not recall. Not less than 1/8" anyway. It will take wood down to around 1/30". One reason I can see for the conservative ratings, is that sometimes wood, when it gets thin, it likes to curl up. I have seen thin wood ( a couple times) curl up and catch on the other side of the machine, destroying the piece. A fix for this is to cut a wide wal;lpaper brush to fit the outlet throat side, that 'encouragesa' the thin wood to stay down. I have seen this, did not do it to my machine, as it is not really a problem. I have wondered though, if that is what is up with their ratings... I see numerous nice machines that are not rated for as thin of wood as it seems they should easily handle. It would not be good to say their machine can surfae to 0.05mm, and then have wood blowing up in the process.

I have a Jet 10/20 and it's alright for my limited output and my apartment workshop.

I know I tend to catch some flak for recommending really small stuff, so let me clear: the following is not a recommendation. But I thought it was reet cute:

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-drum-thickness-sander,8599.html

Maybe for saddles.

I was looking at the Grizzly machines and the small ones only go down to 1/4" and 1/8" of thickness. Do you use a slave board?

I do use a slave/carrier board and I've gone down to 0.050 thickness on headstock overlays but I'd sure hold out for the Performax or something else. I just really don't like the hassle you have to go through to change the sanding roll. I even changed it over to the hook and loop setup but it doesn't hold the roll well on the motor end of the roller and you have to keep trimming it back so it doesn't flap around. PITA is all I can say!! If I don't get that Mao Shan going soon I'm gonna just bite down and pickup a Performax.
This is like what I'm trying to get from this cabinet maker http://www.maoshan.com/product1.aspx?cid=6&id=45
He blew out the circuit board and has replaced it so I should get it in the next week or so.

Top Bottom