2 Painted Collings Ukes Available

specialk13

Reaction score
I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon - the only one I would buy at 1/4th the price is the "white wave" one - and I'd probably have to be under the influence of medications... :)

I guess they're "cool" to some folks and I'm sure they'll find homes - but it sure seems like a shame to cover up such nice wood with paint. The only reason I'd even consider the "white wave" one is because it looks kind of like a cheap tourist ukulele - it might be fun to have a "cheap tourist ukulele" that plays and sounds like a Collings... :biglaugh:

John

I actually agree with you John although I do like the rocket ship one the best :) but I figured since Collings ukes have been popular lately that maybe someone would find these interesting. It is a wee bit of an upcharge for the paint as well.

I actually agree with you John although I do like the rocket ship one the best :) but I figured since Collings ukes have been popular lately that maybe someone would find these interesting. It is a wee bit of an upcharge for the paint as well.

Yeah...I've worked aerospace almost all my life, you'd think I'd go for it but...meh, just not me. :) Now, if it was a realistic painting of an Apache helicopter blowing the living carp out of a tank... LOL

Any idea who painted these? The "white wave" one is very reminiscent of Wyland (I'm not against paintings, BTW, even surreal/real ones, just ones that cover up beautiful wood).

John

yeah, I'm with you guys but I'd go further...I find them exceedingly ugly. Nothing against the artist or the work, it just makes an instrument of the highest construction and tonal quality look like a cheapo.

It does kind of have that side of the van kind of look. Not that there's anything wrong with that

yeah, I'm with you guys but I'd go further...I find them exceedingly ugly. Nothing against the artist or the work, it just makes an instrument of the highest construction and tonal quality look like a cheapo.

I have nothing against painted ukuleles, or any painted instrument. That's fine. I've played a few Collings ukuleles and, to be honest, I'm not impressed. They sound like little guitars, not like ukuleles. This is JUST my opinion, but I have guitars, I want my ukuleles to sound like ukuleles.

Koaloha concerts are da bomb! Collings painted bomb.

actually, these will sell for several more thousand dollars used. The artist is quite collectible. A few of these went overseas to collectors who actually wanted them for the artwork.

Hey, not everyone likes Picasso, not everyone likes Wyeth. The backlog at Collings speaks for itself. Personally, I've got a pretty good collection of high end ukes from everyone from Chuck Moore to Mya Moe. They are all different. Ukulele's are derived from the Portuguese cavaquinho. They have evolved, but can be very guitar-like. Although, not like a steel string guitar.

I just might take a drive over to the Music Emporium to check out the rattlesnake...

Top Bottom