Vintage Martin Interior Stamp Question

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
Question:

Does a vintage Martin 3 soprano ukulele from circa 1928-30 have any kind of stamped Martin logo inside the sound hole on the back of the instrument? Martin, Nazareth, PA, etc? Or is the back completely devoid of all stamps and markings?

Thanks.

Steve, I am not the ultimate authority on this but I have always understood a Martin to have the burned stamp in the sound hole. Post USA the words made in USA were added.

Me, too. I got the 3 from Gryphon today...no stamp in sound hole, back newer than uke...back had been replaced. No go. Was not in their ad.

At first the gentleman today on the phone stated that they have looked it over and it's authentic and ukes of that period do not say Martin in the sound hole. I told him I thought otherwise, then posted this for my respected sages on UU. I did some research...Gyphon is wrong. I phoned them back and they now agree, the back has been replaced and it was mislisted. I have to go through the hassle of a return, but they will reimburse me for he uke, shipping, etc.

Never would have considered it had it mentioned replaced back.

Oh, we'll, thanks in advance Jay and Rick, and to Thom. Hard to buy vintage by mail...I'll save nd get one in person if I'm ever in California.

How did it play, Steve? I think if it played and sounded good I'd ask for an adjustment on the price for the replaced back but keep the uke. The back has much less influence on the sound than the top, after all. Basically, with the replaced back this could be a good player but with little value for collectors...if the seller was willing to refund the difference in value...

John

Good thought, John. But I paid enough for it o be a player and a collectible...with the all original back. These 3Ms are not cheap. I just wished they'd have listed it properly. Would have saved me and them loads of tine and hassle. Thx

Good thought, John. But I paid enough for it o be a player and a collectible...with the all original back. These 3Ms are not cheap. I just wished they'd have listed it properly. Would have saved me and them loads of tine and hassle. Thx

Okay...just a thought. I think I'll be watching for them to relist it as a player... LOL'

Edit to add: Oh...soprano...nevermind. Now, if it was a bari... :)

John

Bummer, Steve, and great catch. That's too much money to be a player only. I'd be sending it back as well. I hope Gryphon makes it right with full refund including your shipping costs.

I had a Kamaka concert with a major finish flaw I had to send back. It was a drag and at first I got a run around, but they are a good shop and made it right in the end.

You can still by vintage by mail--just be sure you buy from a shop that will stand behind their product and do what's right.

I can't believe it, Steve. I called Gryphon about that 3 and asked about the back, specifically. This was weeks ago. I was told that they believe the back had been replaced. The stamp is always inside the sound hole on the back, unless it is an employee model. I can't believe someone told you that tall tale. Wow! Send it back is my recommendation.

Who is Martin Baris? You got me there:confused: Thom has written about a Martin Barry.

The only other markings I've seen to have caused confusion (regarding sopranos) have to do with the "Made in USA" stamp. Apparently, at some point (after they stopped using the rear headstock stamp we are familiar with), Martin made ukuleles for export. They stamped USA on the back of the headstock. On several occasions, sellers have claimed that their post-62 sopranos with the "Made in USA" stamp inside the sound hole were earlier models made for export. A little bit of information ...

Obviously, dating Martins can involve some investigation and uncertainty. The point here is I called Gryphon about that specific ukulele some time ago. Whoever I spoke with told me the back had been replaced. Why else would the price be as low as it is, as compared to the other one they have? I purchased a 1K from Gryphon a few years ago. They described the ukulele in detail to me over the phone. If anything, when I received it, it seemed that they had been very conservative in their conversation with me. That is, the ukulele looked better than I thought it would. I can't understand why Steve was told what he was. Must have been a newbie on the phone.

Hi Guys, I have two early model one sopranos, both earlier than 1922 because the both have the boxwood nut and saddle. One is a 1K which can be dated to between 1920 (first year of production) and 1922 (last year of boxwood), and the other is a 1M which could be as early as 1917 or so (it has fretboard dots). Both have the Martin stamp on the inside. As Howard has posted, the only issue with sopranos and the inside stamp is whether it says "Made in USA" or not. Howard has brought up the other issue which is export ukes that were stamped with this line on the back of the head stock. Did this practice stop in 32 when the decals went on or did it last longer? cheers, g2

I'm surprised they left that out of their item description, whether it was was reflected in their price or not. I've always felt Gryphon was pretty upfront about condition.

I suspect they will have no problem taking it back given the circumstances.

THanks, all.

Yes, Gryphon has a great rep. I've never ordered from them before, and it seems they did leave out that teensy fact from their description. I understand that errors can be made, esp. since they did tell Howard about it a month or so ago.

That said, their descrptions are...well...there are none. In general. I wish there were--at least with Elderly theres a short cursory listing of woods, tuners, nut width etc.

Best to buy in person, always, if one can. After this return, since I'm not in a rush, I think I'll wait until I;m on vacation sometime to buy my next uke in person. Cheers!

Who is Martin Baris? You got me there:confused: Thom has written about a Martin Barry.

The only other markings I've seen to have caused confusion (regarding sopranos) have to do with the "Made in USA" stamp. Apparently, at some point (after they stopped using the rear headstock stamp we are familiar with), Martin made ukuleles for export. They stamped USA on the back of the headstock. On several occasions, sellers have claimed that their post-62 sopranos with the "Made in USA" stamp inside the sound hole were earlier models made for export. A little bit of information ...

Obviously, dating Martins can involve some investigation and uncertainty. The point here is I called Gryphon about that specific ukulele some time ago. Whoever I spoke with told me the back had been replaced. Why else would the price be as low as it is, as compared to the other one they have? I purchased a 1K from Gryphon a few years ago. They described the ukulele in detail to me over the phone. If anything, when I received it, it seemed that they had been very conservative in their conversation with me. That is, the ukulele looked better than I thought it would. I can't understand why Steve was told what he was. Must have been a newbie on the phone.

Wasnt' Martin Baris the host on the Gong Show? No.......wait.......that was Chuck......

Aloha!

I am a newbie on this forum and have followed this thread a short while now. Thanks for everyone posting!

My vintage CF Martin Soprano ukulele is a relatively clean specimen. Per online research it dates from about 1946 to 1956 since it has Kluson #566 keystone tuners. Everything about it describes a S-0 and nothing more advanced, EXCEPT it HAS NO STAMPING INSIDE THE SOUND HOLE??!!

IMHO (I am not an expert) the ukulele back appears very consistent thru its entire build—the wood grain, color, finish, construction—that I would say it is an original just without the interior stamp. I cannot discount the possibility of a replaced back or its being a Martin-employee personal built instrument (although this one does have the headstock decal) since I purchased it second hand and I never worked at CF Martin.

Anyway, I am curious if other factors can explain why it has no sound hole stamp that has not already been explained or documented by CF Martin. Has anyone else discovered a specimen like this one? If it is in fact an original factory build then it is at least one example CF Martin sold without the sound hole stamp. It could happen. Cheers!

Mahalo!

Uku-guy

Last edited:
Right. But all sopranos do. That's pretty much the understanding. Now, perhaps we're wrong about that--but I don't think so.

Hello Pdxuke...here is something I posted today:

Aloha!

I am a newbie on this forum and have followed this thread a short while now. Thanks for everyone posting!

My vintage CF Martin Soprano ukulele is a relatively clean specimen. Per online research it dates from about 1946 to 1956 since it has Kluson #566 keystone tuners. Everything about it describes a S-0 and nothing more advanced, EXCEPT it HAS NO STAMPING INSIDE THE SOUND HOLE??!!

IMHO (I am not an expert) the ukulele back appears very consistent thru its entire build—the wood grain, color, finish, construction—that I would say it is an original just without the interior stamp. I cannot discount the possibility of a replaced back or its being a Martin-employee personal built instrument (although this one does have the headstock decal) since I purchased it second hand and I never worked at CF Martin.

Anyway, I am curious if other factors can explain why it has no sound hole stamp that has not already been explained or documented by CF Martin. Has anyone else discovered a specimen like this one? If it is in fact an original factory build then it is at least one example CF Martin sold without the sound hole stamp. It could happen. Cheers!

Mahalo!

Uku-guy

Martin Baris from 60/61 don't have a stamp in the soundhole. '62 they started putting them there.
I own a Martin Baritone with original receipt and price tag from 1960 and it has a Martin stamp just not a made in USA stamp so your information is not totally correct It has been in my family since original purchase maybe some are not stamped by my 1960 is stamped

Top Bottom