PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day - My first Compass Rose

mds725
02-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Last week I bought a Compass Rose solid walnut tenor ukulele (serial number 330) from Heartbreaker Guitars in Las Vegas, and it arrived this morning. It sounds wonderful, with a clear harplike tone and nice resonance and sustain. I wasn't sure what to expect from walnut as a tonewood, but I really do like the sound. I haven't had time to take my own photos yet, so here are some of the photos that were posted on the Heartbreaker Guitar website.

49148 49149 49151 49150

nighthunte29
02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Oh me oh my that is nice!
Congrats on the purchase!

caukulele
02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
You got a beauty!!!!

guitharsis
02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
So nice! Just beautiful! Congrats!

mm stan
02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Congrats Mark, it looks amazing and a amazing deal..

Dan Uke
02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Congrats Mark!! You just have to wait for your custom CR Bari now

Kyle23
02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Wow looks amazing. Congrats and can't wait to hear it!

GinnyT11
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Egad, Mark, what a beauty! It looks fantastic, and I bet it sounds wonderful. Hope you really enjoy it.

wadleysf
02-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Congratulations Mark! Looks great in those pics. I'm looking forward to seeing your own pics in detail, or seeing and hearing it in person soon. She's a real beauty! :drool:

connor013
02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Now that is a holy grail uke. Well done!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Wowzers. Bee. Eh. You. Tea. Full. Congratulations!

Newportlocal
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Congratulations on the Compass Rose! Just beautiful. Bet it sounds great. Wow, you got a great price on that.

OldePhart
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Schweeet! I love walnut as a tonewood. I had a walnut mountain dulcimer years ago - I wish now I hadn't sold it.

John

AKuker
02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
What a sweet looking instrument! Congratulations! Have fun with it!

justinlcecil
02-20-2013, 08:15 PM
I absolutely love Walnut. That would make for one excellent uke if it sounded half as good as it looks.

kvehe
02-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

coolkayaker1
02-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

gyosh
02-21-2013, 06:00 AM
::sigh:: .

Newportlocal
02-21-2013, 07:01 AM
::sigh:: .

Ditto, I feel your pain.:D

mds725
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks everyone!

I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet, but from the little time I've been able to spend with it, I'm very impressed. I've had the chance to play a few CRs at Gryphon Stringed Instruments and this is one of the nicer ones to my ear.

Gary, I feel your pain. I guess you haven't gotten your custom CR yet, but when you do, I promise to post a "sigh" in your new uke thread because from what I've heard about it from both you and Rick, it's going to be un-bleeping-believable.

Here are a few more photos from the Heartbreaker Guitars website.

49220 49221 49222

caukulele
02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Yes, I think a lot of us are waiting to see how Gary's uke comes out.... I'm sure it will be incredible....

gyosh
02-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone!

I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet, but from the little time I've been able to spend with it, I'm very impressed. I've had the chance to play a few CRs at Gryphon Stringed Instruments and this is one of the nicer ones to my ear.

Gary, I feel your pain. I guess you haven't gotten your custom CR yet, but when you do, I promise to post a "sigh" in your new uke thread because from what I've heard about it from both you and Rick, it's going to be un-bleeping-believable.

After seeing your beautiful new (to you) CR I just emailed Eliza to ask about an update on the progress. My first inquiry really.

I really respect Rick and his art and I really did want to stay completely out of the way if I could.

I couldn't. :)

gyosh
02-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Yes, I think a lot of us are waiting to see how Gary's uke comes out.... I'm sure it will be incredible....

Hey Denise! Yup. Still waiting patiently to join the club:) Are you heading to any of the upcoming festivals? (Hayward or Reno/Tahoe?)

byjimini
02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Gary, I did the same, just left them to it. Arrived 2 months later than the finish date, but I never expected it by then anyway - to me, art is art.

Love the walnut uke by the way. :)

gyosh
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Gary, I did the same, just left them to it. Arrived 2 months later than the finish date, but I never expected it by then anyway - to me, art is art.

Love the walnut uke by the way. :)

byjimini - was yours the one with the missing pick-up? I remember it was beautiful as all CR's tend to be :) Are you still loving it?

mds725
02-21-2013, 08:21 AM
After seeing your beautiful new (to you) CR I just emailed Eliza to ask about an update on the progress. My first inquiry really.

I really respect Rick and his art and I really did want to stay completely out of the way if I could.

I couldn't. :)

I'm not sure my upcoming baritone CR even has a finish date, but I've also tried to stay out of Rick's way. I emailed him recently to request a second spot on his build list for a second CR jumbo-line baritone, this one with steel strings, but he never wrote back. Maybe I'll email Eliza, although I have no idea who that is.

I imagine Rick's been very busy with his band, which (I believe) is going to be playing at the South X Southwest Festival in Austin this spring. meanwhile, I'm hoping your CR is finished in time for the NorCal Ukulele Festival in Hayward. :)

The folks at Heartbreaker Guitars told me that my CR was *new* new, not just new to them. It has the number 12 stamped on the headstock, and I think that may be the year it was made.

byjimini
02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
byjimini - was yours the one with the missing pick-up? I remember it was beautiful as all CR's tend to be :) Are you still loving it?

Yes that's the one - Rick messaged me on here and is arranging his friend in Portsmouth to fit one for me.

Yes, I love it to bits, it's my favourite uke. :)

soupking
02-21-2013, 08:28 AM
The folks at Heartbreaker Guitars told me that my CR was *new* new, not just new to them. It has the number 12 stamped on the headstock, and I think that may be the year it was made.

Mark, the koa Style B Compass Rose that I bought a month and a half ago from Gryphon Stringed Instruments is serial number 12-328. Yours must have been finished around roughly the same time. That walnut is nice, congrats! Does it have the gloss finish? I can't tell from the pics. I notice that there's no binding, which is usually indicitive of the entry level models, although some dealers, like Gryphon with mine, opt for the gloss finish upgrade.

gyosh
02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure my upcoming baritone CR even has a finish date, but I've also tried to stay out of Rick's way. I emailed him recently to request a second spot on his build list for a second CR jumbo-line baritone, this one with steel strings, but he never wrote back. Maybe I'll email Eliza, although I have no idea who that is.

I imagine Rick's been very busy with his band, which (I believe) is going to be playing at the 4X4 Festival in Austin this spring. meanwhile, I'm hoping your CR is finished in time for the NorCal Ukulele Festival in Hayward. :)

Eliza runs the front of the house for him. She's the office:)

Yeah, I'm guessing Rick is really busy. I emailed him a question about something a while back (nothing important) and didn't hear anything back yet. He usually answers promptly. At a time when most men are retiring, Rick seems busier than ever . . . and up to the challenge. I hope his band gig goes really well. Very cool story.

I don't know what made me think your uke was used. I saw it on the website you sent me and it looked immaculate. Weird. Anyhow, it sure is a beauty. The prettiest walnut I've seen. Your bari's are going to have to be something super special to top your new tenor.

If I get it before Hayward I'll track you down at a Ukerebellion event so you can play it :)

gyosh
02-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Mark, the koa Style B Compass Rose that I bought a month and a half ago from Gryphon Stringed Instruments is serial number 12-328. Yours must have been finished around roughly the same time. That walnut is nice, congrats! Does it have the gloss finish? I can't tell from the pics. I notice that there's no binding, which is usually indicitive of the entry level models, although some dealers, like Gryphon with mine, opt for the gloss finish upgrade.

You guys are killing me!!!

Soupking, your uke is amazing. Gryphon had it out for all of two days maybe before you bought it. Maybe less than that because I saw it on a Friday and my friend Hawaii50 went on Saturday to see it and it was sold. I think yours is better looking than Rick's personal player.

caukulele
02-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey Denise! Yup. Still waiting patiently to join the club:) Are you heading to any of the upcoming festivals? (Hayward or Reno/Tahoe?)
Hi Gary,
I probably won't make it this year..but hopefully I will be at the one in Callistoga in the summer....am trying to get to the SF meet up next month... I think quite a few of us are "patiently" waiting for our Compass Roses..... Lots of beautiful music waiting to be played......

mds725
02-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Mark, the koa Style B Compass Rose that I bought a month and a half ago from Gryphon Stringed Instruments is serial number 12-328. Yours must have been finished around roughly the same time. That walnut is nice, congrats! Does it have the gloss finish? I can't tell from the pics. I notice that there's no binding, which is usually indicative of the entry level models, although some dealers, like Gryphon with mine, opt for the gloss finish upgrade.

Your CR is beautiful. I noticed it on Gryphon's website, but not until after it had been sold. My CR (serial number 12-330, so it was made around the same time as yours) has a satin finish and no binding, and I assume it's one of Rick's entry level models. I've ordered the gloss finish for my custom CR baritone.

Gillian
02-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Ditto, I feel your pain.:D

I double ditto your pain.

(off-track but I hope Rick's assistant John is recovering okay and that he is going to reconsider riding a motorcycle again.)

Newportlocal
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I double ditto your pain.

(off-track but I hope Rick's assistant John is recovering okay and that he is going to reconsider riding a motorcycle again.)

Thank you very much, and the other comment isn't off track. I wished him a full and speedy recovery at the time and hope he is healing well.

mds725
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Thank you very much, and the other comment isn't off track. I wished him a full and speedy recovery at the time and hope he is healing well.

I actually resurrected the thread Rick had started (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?74049-Good-Wishes-Please-for-Compass-Rose-Builder-John-Robinson) to let us know about John's injuries in the hope that Rick would weigh in with an update on John's condition. No word yet, but feel free to post in that thread as well. Maybe Rick will see it sometime soon.

hawaii 50
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Nice Mark..
how you like the fit and finish?unreal huh..

wait until you see the gloss polyester finish on your next CR..you are not going to believe the way it looks..Rick does the best polyester finish in the uke world..i have compared it with other ukes..No one close!

and the sound to die for..congrats!
i was going to visit Stan today but too much rain..maybe this weekend

soupking
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I have to say as far as satin finishes go, Rick's is the best I've seen yet. I had a mahogany Special A Compass Rose that I regret selling- soooo smooth. The gloss is unreal, though. You can't go wrong with either model, honestly. Thanks for the compliments on mine, guys. One of the coolest things about my CR, I think, is that there are pics on Rick's Facebook page of him working on it. You can tell it's mine by the very distinctive stripe in the koa on the headstock, with the caption "Koa Uke for Gryphon." Incidentally, I think either Gary or Len mentioned those exact pics on UU, while it was being built, which led me to contact Gryphon Stringed Instruments weeks before it was delivered. So, as it happens, *that's* why it was only on Gryphon's floor, for one day, not two ;) It took me less than a day after the heads up from Grant at Gryphon that what would soon become my uke had arrived. Haha. So again, thanks all for the tip off.

Macmuse
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
That is indeed a gorgeous tenor. Just wish I could find a stunning walnut concert somewhere (someday...)

Schweeet! I love walnut as a tonewood. I had a walnut mountain dulcimer years ago - I wish now I hadn't sold it.

John

I do too! And I have hung onto my mountain dulcimer and that's why I want a walnut uke someday. :)

gyosh
02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I have to say as far as satin finishes go, Rick's is the best I've seen yet. I had a mahogany Special A Compass Rose that I regret selling- soooo smooth. The gloss is unreal, though. You can't go wrong with either model, honestly. Thanks for the compliments on mine, guys. One of the coolest things about my CR, I think, is that there are pics on Rick's Facebook page of him working on it. You can tell it's mine by the very distinctive stripe in the koa on the headstock, with the caption "Koa Uke for Gryphon." Incidentally, I think either Gary or Len mentioned those exact pics on UU, while it was being built, which led me to contact Gryphon Stringed Instruments weeks before it was delivered. So, as it happens, *that's* why it was only on Gryphon's floor, for one day, not two ;) It took me less than a day after the heads up from Grant at Gryphon that what would soon become my uke had arrived. Haha. So again, thanks all for the tip off.

I told Rick it looks better than his personal player . . .and that one is a stunner too (yours is prettier)!

hammer40
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Congrats on a beautiful uke, although I may be biased since I have a walnut CR as well.

Rick Turner
02-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Training with my new uke builders is going well! The log jam will be easing over the next month or so, and I think there's a chance that John will be back in April. For those of you who have ukes on order, thanks for your patience, and just know that I'm putting top priority on your ukes.

Newportlocal
02-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Training with my new uke builders is going well! The log jam will be easing over the next month or so, and I think there's a chance that John will be back in April. For those of you who have ukes on order, thanks for your patience, and just know that I'm putting top priority on your ukes.

Thanks for your comments and hope John continues to heal well.

dkcrown
02-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Great looking uke Mark.

mds725
02-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the update, Rick. I'm glad things are going well and that John is healing. I am loving the heck out of my first ever Compass Rose. It's sweet and it's lots of fun to play!

hawaii 50
02-25-2013, 12:12 PM

Thanks Rick..

as I have been saying I can wait for my new CR..i would love it if John were to build it for me when he gets back..i met him and really like his passion for building,wishing John and you the best..good luck in the future..