Banjo Ukulele Identification help needed

UKEonomics

Reaction score
Bought this old Slingerland off of ebay awhile back. It's in great shape and sounds awesome! The only problem is that I'm overly curious about it and countless google searches have failed me. On the inside of the pot there is a label with a space for a model number, but the model number was either never there or has been written over by a previous owner (see picture below).

Bottom line, I know Slingerland made a lot of banjo ukes for different companies and if anyone has an inside track on this little guy, I'd sure appreciate some history. Thanks!

DSC_3317.jpgDSC_3319.jpgDSC_3322.jpgDSC_3323.jpgDSC_3325.jpg

Well, the brand name is Slingerland. Sometimes they also had Maybell stamped on the headstock, but those banjo ukes mostly had a 8" diameter pot, where as this one has a 6" pot and fewer shoe brackets and hooks. It just a cheaper version but still a nice little uke.

I can confirm that the Maybell marked Banjo ukes had an 8" pot and 16 shoes and brackets. A beauty of a uke though in pretty excellent shape. Congratulations on a nice find.
- Justin Cecil

Thanks! That little snippet about the pot size and brackets helps. I was wondering if it was just an unmarked Maybell, but I guess not. Whatever the case, I absolutely love it!

That cutie looks a lot like one I have except that mine has Slingerland in script and MayBell with two stars and a border printed on the brace inside. MayBell stamped diagonally on the headstock. The one I have measures about 6 3/4" OD on the rim of the wooden pot (birds-eye like yours I think) and also has 12 hooks. Wish I could help with a model number but mine's not marked either and I don't know what it is. There's no paper label. If someone comes up with an ID for yours, it'll probably answer my question too. Yours looks very nice. Clean.

Last edited:
That cutie looks a lot like one I have except that mine has Slingerland in script and MayBell with two stars and a border printed on the brace inside. MayBell stamped diagonally on the headstock. The one I have measures about 6 3/4" OD on the rim of the wooden pot (birds-eye like yours I think) and also has 12 hooks. Wish I could help with a model number but mine's not marked either and I don't know what it is. There's no paper label. If someone comes up with an ID for yours, it'll probably answer my question too. Yours looks very nice. Clean.

Thats awesome TG&Y. I have never seen one of the smaller pot size with the Maybell Script.

very interesting. Don't suppose that you have a pic or two that you could post here. I'd love to see how these two match up.

Well how about that! Thanks Strummin Simon. I've look around a lot in your restoration barn but missed this.

I hope you like the sound of "i think it is the closest thing to a gibson UB-1" as much as I do, UKEonomics.

Hi,
there is a slingerland catalogue on the internet somewhere. i cant locate it right now.

anyway, yours is a slingerland model 20.
made from birds eye maple. i have the same model at home.
i think it is the closest thing to a gibson UB-1.
here is another one here
http://ukulelerestorationbarn.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/original-condition-slingerland-maybell.html

Hi,
there is a slingerland catalogue on the internet somewhere. i cant locate it right now.

anyway, yours is a slingerland model 20.
made from birds eye maple. i have the same model at home.
i think it is the closest thing to a gibson UB-1.
here is another one here
http://ukulelerestorationbarn.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/original-condition-slingerland-maybell.html

Awesome! The next banjo uke that I want to grab is a Gibson UB-1...might be rethinking that now. Thanks a lot for the great info! Now, I can rest easier at night. :)

Yours is a 1920's model according to my well-informed sources (Mrjnobianchi) - it's the wooden shim that tells that - I have a similar Slingerland with 7" pot and 16 tension hooks - bird's eye maple - little beauty! Some pics on my page.......

Yours is a 1920's model according to my well-informed sources (Mrjnobianchi) - it's the wooden shim that tells that - I have a similar Slingerland with 7" pot and 16 tension hooks - bird's eye maple - little beauty! Some pics on my page.......

Yours is absolutely gorgeous! I love the resonator. Mine doesn't have one and has no holes on the back where one would fit.

Top Bottom