How Do I Know?

jimmysworking

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but outside of a string being cut how do I know when it is time to replace the strings on my ukulele? Especially with the fluorocarbon strings,those seem to be pretty strong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sound is one way. If they start sounding dull, or you notice a bit of buzzing where there once was none, strings could be the culprit. I tend to wait too long--I always wonder for a while whether maybe my strings could use changing, and then when I do it the improvement is so dramatic that I wished I hadn't waited so long. I'm trying to train myself to follow this rule: "If I think maybe my strings need changing, then they do."

I would think that as long as their still holding tune and intonation up the fretboard and they sound OK to you, then there's no need to replace them. I've heard tell that you get little divots on the bottom of the strings where they hit the frets which could also be an indicator. I always get the itch to try a different brand before I ever get that far though!

I don't think I've ever had a set of fluorocarbon strings reach the point where they really needed to be changed (i.e. where sound was dull or intonation up the fretboard was getting worse). I've had some sets on for a year on ukes that I play pretty often, but usually some new string comes along that I want to try out and they get changed because of that.

Nylon strings don't last anywhere near as long, and my nails abrade the coating on Nylgut strings even quicker.

John

Top Bottom