LMI glue freeze

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
I just thought i'd post these pics of my LMI glue after I used it to
add some white purfling to an ebony fretboard at around 40-45F (5C in the gentleman's temperature ;). The glue dries bright white. It doesn't appear to have too freeze to do so, just be cold.

I glued two little bits of ebony together then sanded back thinking i would reveal a thin bright white line but i can't see any. I still think you would get one if your joints weren't dead flat etc

I emailed LMI out of curiosity to ask if the glue loses any adhesion properties after drying white. They said that "in low temperatures the glue tends to dry white. This doesn’t mean that the glue joint is bad, it's just something that happens in the cold."

All the joints seem strong and all the glue sanded away so no harm done- Still, I'll be testing it a little more before i use it on anything other then little non stressed bits like fingerboard bindings etc

ps- Lets not argue about glue brands.
pps- like my Mr Bean impersonation?
last month skiing 041.jpglast month skiing 039.jpglast month skiing 040.jpglast month skiing 049.jpglast month skiing 055.jpg

Last edited:
That would have had me pretty concerned Beau. Luckily we don't get any glue freezing temps here.

I think it turns a bright purple colour up in Cairns ;)

I actually a done a test on it and it dried clear, then i brought it inside for the winter months. I think it was just cold on that day- im not sure if it will permanently dry white- if so, ill use it for some high end decoupage ;)

Interesting
I thought it was a Marty Feldman impersonation!!

hahahhaha

Cargo temperatures are regulated very carefully. They are never allowed to reach freezing.

Cargo temperatures are regulated very carefully. They are never allowed to reach freezing.

Not entirely true... I was told by a UPS high up who I am friends with, and deal with on a weekly basis, or more often, that there are places/ times where shipments sit overnight in trailers, outdoors. It gets cold where I am, I have been warned very clearly thast freezing is a possibility in Winter.

there are places/ times where shipments sit overnight in trailers, outdoors.

This is why I only ship instruments early in the week, preferably Monday AM, during winter and summer. It reduces the chance that the package will sit in a cold (or, worse, hot) trailer over the weekend.

Double boxing, the inner box lined with mylar faced 1" styrofoam(cut on the tablesaw, fitted tight) and the space between the boxes filled with bubble wrap.. thats what I do when I am shipping someplace warm, or cold.

Not to beat a dead horse but the shipping route from Windsor Ca. to Petaluma CA to either SFO or OAK on to a conditioned cargo plane (they are all conditioned) then to HI is a very temperate route. The chances of a truck full of cargo freezing even if left for days on this route are almost zero. The glue I have purchased from LMI goes directly in the cab of my Toyota pickup and travels 9 miles to my shop. I had a bad experience with a top I glued up that came apart easily (several years ago) with only small flexing. Overnight dry time. Not scientific at all but enough to put me off the stuff. I believe and LMI has said they may have had a bad batch.

Top Bottom