Did Big Island Ukulele go out of buisness??

Dwave

Reaction score
I've tried to contact them with no response. My local Big Island dealer in SoCal has tried to reach them for the last week with no response. They are not answering e-mails our the phones. Does any one know what the deal is? I was all ready to buy one of there Ukes (but now I am not sure) and my dealer was ready to place a big order but no one answers.

Aloha Dwave,
I just called them and they have their answering machine on...but it is 4:40pm now....will try later...did you get the answering machine

I e-mailed them about a month ago. I noticed my favorite music store is a dealer and contacted them last week and told them what I wanted to order and they have e-mailed and called repeatedly with no response. They contacted me today to tell me they have had no luck reaching them and will keep trying. So really reluctant to buy one of there Ukes now.

That is weird. No, they are very much in business. Hung out with them at NAMM. Still going strong and just got an e-mail from them yesterday. Tell your local dealer to e-mail. You may get better response that way. Sometimes as a business you can get swamped and maybe that was it. I called them myself, left a message, did not hear back. But got an e-mail sure enough. But dont give up on the uke. They are great ukes, especially at that price point. Very well made, the best woods, just great ukes. I had something like this happen before and I remember it was for a reason. Something was going on. When you are a smallish operation sometimes things that come up in life put you behind. If you have any more questions PM me. I have some in stock, but I dont want to take business away from your local guy. BUT, if you cant find another outlet, let me know what you are looking for!

Thanks for the response Mim, I will wait and see what happens, but I believe they have e-mailed as well. Just looking for a Hawaiian Koa at a price I can afford and also I have heard there BI-K-CTS is like a jumbo concert somewhere in between concert and tenor, is that accurate because I have noticed you have a few for sale. I have been playing concerts and tenors for a while and just can't figure out which I like better and thought this may be the answer for me.

........I had something like this happen before and I remember it was for a reason. Something was going on. When you are a smallish operation sometimes things that come up in life put you behind. If you have any more questions PM me. I have some in stock, but I dont want to take business away from your local guy......

This ^

Fine example of how much a class act Mim is as well! Everyone buy from Mim's Ukes, great prices and professional service/setup!

Last edited:
What is your SO cal uke dealer so I can forward the message...

No worries, I will be patient as Mim suggested. I know she has two of the Ukes I want and has a good selection of their other models as well. Just wasn't sure what the deal was. Thanks,

Hope you hear back soon.

I have a BI spalted mango tenor from Mim - love, love, love that uke and love the great service from Mim too!!

Funny, I was married to a Pacific Islander for 20 years. I know all about Island Time and I am considered Uncle in many parts of the world even if I am there blood Uncle or not. I think Mim reeled me into to the fact that they might not be as large an operation as I had thought. I can wait and I also just bought a used Koa Kalane (most likely a KPK) that pop up on Craigslist today for $100 in the San diego area, so I can be patient and wait, thanks.

Top Bottom