PDA

View Full Version : For anyone who doesn't understand the appeal of banjo-ukes and Formby-style playing..

barefootgypsy
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
For anyone who doesn't understand the appeal of banjo-ukes and Formby-style playing... just watch this young lad....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6DbDTlsSN8&feature=em-uploademail

Got it now? :D

tangimango
02-21-2013, 10:13 PM
what is that tac tac tac sound coming from

barefootgypsy
02-21-2013, 10:20 PM
what is that tac tac tac sound coming from I think it's his finger hitting the vellum (skin)..... the strings will be quite low for this sort of playing.

justinlcecil
02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Why do I even try? Haha. Excellent playing. I will get the split stroke down...I WILL!

Ambient Doughnut
02-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Wow - awesome!

Hippie Dribble
02-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Got it Lesley!!! I think that's John Bianchi's son. :)

Macmuse
02-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Played like that the instrument is wonderful. Played like many of us play an ukulele? Not so much. :)

I'd be happy to have a bunch of recordings of playing like this, but would never own the instrument - I couldn't get sounds like that out of one. :P

King David
02-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Played like that the instrument is wonderful. Played like many of us play an ukulele? Not so much. :)

I'd be happy to have a bunch of recordings of playing like this, but would never own the instrument - I couldn't get sounds like that out of one. :P

Yes. Epic 10-finger strum! Regardless of what you like, you have to appreciate that performance. The difficulty in that song lies not in the chords but in the technique... awesome, love me some' folk/formby.

Thanks for sharing.

PhilUSAFRet
02-22-2013, 05:06 AM
It's a little embarassing for one of my uke heros to be young enough to be my great-grandson

joeygibson
02-22-2013, 06:21 AM
I feel the same way. His playing is amazing, but I feel like I will never achieve anything close on my banjo-uke.

Macmuse
02-22-2013, 06:50 AM
I shouldn't say I would "never" own one... if my son showed interest and promise in that direction, I'd probably buy one. :)

But it certainly wouldn't be for me to attempt to play.

UKEonomics
02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
This kid is amazing! Whenever I feel like I'm getting to be decent on the banjo uke, I watch stuff like this and then feel horrible about my progress (or lack thereof).

Freeda
02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Why do I even try? Haha. Excellent playing. I will get the split stroke down...I WILL!

Yeah, that! That was smokin!

lennymac
02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Who is that?? Amazing!! I can't find it on YouTube..

Dan Uke
02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I still don't understand the appeal of banjo-ukes and Fromby-style playing but who cares as there's plenty that like it. :p

barefootgypsy
02-23-2013, 01:04 AM
Who is that?? Amazing!! I can't find it on YouTube..His name is Tommy Bland.

lennymac
02-23-2013, 02:48 AM
His name is Tommy Bland.

Thanks Lesley!

pdxuke
02-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Tommy bland is great. I've learned how to do a triple by watching his tutorial! And yes--I find it's far easier to do triples on my ukes with action set really low.

AKuker
02-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Wow! Thanks for sharing that. Great to see kids spending time doing something productive.

Tootler
02-23-2013, 06:39 AM
I still don't understand the appeal of banjo-ukes and Fromby-style playing but who cares as there's plenty that like it. :p

I understand what you are saying.

As it happens, I do like George Formby. I saw a lot of his movies as a kid and I always enjoyed the songs and particularly those banjo uke solos but it's not what I want from the uke, my musical interests are different.

Chris Tarman
02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
There's also our very own John Bianchi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK9Osg-VXI8

pdxuke
02-23-2013, 02:11 PM
There's also our very own John Bianchi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK9Osg-VXI8

John is an awesome player and an inspiration to me!

PeteyHoudini
02-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Yep, I love this Formby style with the split-stroke, the fan, etc...

I can do a lot of the techniques separately but I can't seem to combine them all, but I'm working on that big time as we speak. hehe My 2013 goal is to get it down for once and all! More or less. hehe

Petey

guitarman
02-23-2013, 10:03 PM
I see the light!!!! Thank you for sharing this. The whole weekend was spent practicing this exquisite technique. Time well spent!!! DUDDU x 1000= A new way of living! \m/

arpie
02-23-2013, 10:26 PM
......I can do a lot of the techniques separately but I can't seem to combine them all, but I'm working on that big time........

I'm with you on this, Petey!! THey make it look SOOO easy, too!! I'll keep trying tho!!

Roberta

Check out this one too!! He is good at showing Formby Strums in slow-mo - check his others out too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqvGx7gcBI

PeteyHoudini
02-24-2013, 05:18 AM
I'm with you on this, Petey!! THey make it look SOOO easy, too!! I'll keep trying tho!!

Roberta

Check out this one too!! He is good at showing Formby Strums in slow-mo - check his others out too

Thanks Roberta.

Looking at his video, there is something strange about his method. I've never seen it done that way before. He also doesn't mention how the "stroke" is split across all the strings. I just acquired some materials from a former teacher from the Formby society and he's doing it differently. I know there are different ways but I'm getting confused. There's seems to be as many variations of the split-stroke as there are accents in England!

Jnobianchi
02-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Got it Lesley!!! I think that's John Bianchi's son. :)

:D That's VERY kind of you, Jon. I remember two years back when Tommy was just starting out. He's awesome - I hope someday to approach where he is now. Age notwithstanding, he's quickly become one of the top players.

John is an awesome player and an inspiration to me! Thanks, Thom, and thanks for posting my clip, Chris. :)

I'm In awe of my fellow Formby Society members, and I think no one is better at explaining the strokes than Mike Warren is. Petey - forget actually trying to split the split stroke - if you follow Mike's tutorials and get it up to speed, you'll find that you naturally don't hit all the strings- hence, the "split" that's being referred to. Roy Smeck, in his method books, just calls it the "syncopated stroke," which I think is a more accurate description of what it achieves for the listener.

Even if you don't want to play in this style - or do faithful rendition's of Formby's solos - you'll find that all of his strokes can be used in other contexts and it's well worth learning. :)

johnnyfoodstamp
02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
I completely agree with JnoBianchi. These techniques are valuable even if you have no interest in Formby. I use the split, triple, and fan on my wooden uke and it sounds greats or in my own songs to add a little flair.

FormbyFanatic95
02-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Tommy's playing style sounds just like Formby's! I don't know how he does it!

PeteyHoudini
02-24-2013, 09:12 AM
:
I'm In awe of my fellow Formby Society members, and I think no one is better at explaining the strokes than Mike Warren is. Petey - forget actually trying to split the split stroke - if you follow Mike's tutorials and get it up to speed, you'll find that you naturally don't hit all the strings- hence, the "split" that's being referred to. Roy Smeck, in his method books, just calls it the "syncopated stroke," which I think is a more accurate description of what it achieves for the listener.

Even if you don't want to play in this style - or do faithful rendition's of Formby's solos - you'll find that all of his strokes can be used in other contexts and it's well worth learning. :)
Hi John,

The split-stroke has been my friendly pain-in-the-neck companion for the past many years! hehe I learned it one way from Ralph Shaw, then a different way from a local workshop, then with various YouTube vids, and now with some materials I've acquired from a former GF society teacher. I'll eventually figure it all out.

Your son is doing great.

What Roy Smeck method are you talking about? I'm curious. I have the Mel-Bay one.

I think learning the syncopated stroke should be mandatory for uke players! ;-) It really develops the right hand strumming technique and I find things like the fan stroke are now cropping up into my own songs! hehe

Petey

mikewarrenuke
02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks folks for your kind words regarding my video. Below is my website. Im going to put some Ukulele tuition video's on it very soon, as I have only just got the site up and running.

http://mikeukulelewarren.wix.com/ukulele-itus

Kind Regards

Mike Warren

arpie
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome to UU, Mike! I only found your vids the other day, so added them to my growing "How to do Formby" file!! Lots of frustrated 'wannabe' Formby players here!! :D

Looking forward to seeing any tutorials you put up!!

cheers

Roberta

barefootgypsy
02-26-2013, 04:36 AM
Welcome to UU, Mike! I only found your vids the other day, so added them to my growing "How to do Formby" file!! Lots of frustrated 'wannabe' Formby players here!! :D

Looking forward to seeing any tutorials you put up!!

cheers

RobertaHi Roberta! Yes, Mike's little tuition videos are excellent! If you're on facebook, look for him on there, too.... I did a blog post on Mike just the other day - you might like to check it out! (see below...) There's a lot of banjo-uke stuff on there actually... keep strumming that thing! :D